Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Fancy clothing

4K views 69 replies 36 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 ·
I have a few sports coats. that I very rarely wear now that I work from home.
Do you any of you only own one suit and it only comes out for funerals and weddings?

#34 ·
The rare times when I have to wear a suit I usually have to buy a new one because the old one doesn't fit anymore.

I generally spend my four days off work in $10 flip-flops, T-shirt and shorts February - November, and get annoyed whenever I have to put more clothes on.

Thank God that in my business, ties have fallen out of favor. The pet rock was more useful.

#35 ·
Wore a suit every day for 15 years. Just a uniform to me. After that, went out on my own, if a client wants a suit, I tell them it’s an extra $100 an hour. Very few takers. Now I wear a golf shirt and slacks for meetings, and otherwise a golf shirt and shorts in the summer or jeans in the winter.they are paying for my brain not what I’m wearing.

However , when I was young, thin and beautiful, I did like pretty cloths.

#37 ·
I remember when I was a kid, dressing up for lots of things. School, no jeans allowed. Going out to dinner. Of course going to the synagogue,dances, parties, flying on an airplane or going on a train. This was all before wash and wear, and stay pressed . Everything had to be ironed, lots of things had to be dri cleaned, underwear was white, and we wore t shirts under regular shirts. Dress shirts had French cuffs. I wore my first real tie when I was 8, before that clip ons . Fancy socks, thins and thick and thins, dress shoes. Yadayadayada.

My dad was an electrician, he wore uniforms. They were picked up and dropped off weekly by a service. When he came home he stripped down in the garage and took a shower in there and changed clothes before he came in the house.

Barbershops were weekly events, everyone had a permanent appointment. And there was a manicurist.

The whole culture was obsessed with appearance.

My first day working at my mothers store, named after my dad, Mac’s Electric &Toyland, she took me aside and said” don’t prequalify the customer based on their appearance, just cause they are dirty or ill kept doesn’t mean they don’t have money. And we want that money. So wait on everyone with the same enthusiasm.”
I have lived by these words ever since.

So dressing nice is nice , but just like spelling , some people miss the point, and pedantically cling to form over substance. Well I’ll wait on them just as enthusiastically.

#38 ·
The whole culture was obsessed with appearance.

So dressing nice is nice , but just like spelling , some people miss the point, and pedantically cling to form over substance. Well I'll wait on them just as enthusiastically.
Yeah that. (no verb) :rolleyes:

Dad was a union plumber wearing a cotton denim blue work shirt, cap, and bib overalls for the attire the day. He'd wash up his head and arms up to his elbows in the kitchen sink after work before dinner while shedding the cap and bibs also. 1-2 jumbos, sometimes more, were consumed between work and bedtime. He had a suit for church and funerals. Down n dirty working class days.

#40 · (Edited)
After retiring from 22+ years in the Army in 1997 (they told you what to wear, when), I became a stinkin' contractor, basically doing the same job, with the same people, but with better hours and better pay. Never even had to interview for a job...

The biggest challenge for me was what to wear.

5-6 suits, a gazillion shirts and ties and shoes and I was set. My betrothed was right there to point out what did - and didn't - match and set me up. Daily inspection before I went out the front door. I was working in the Pentagon, in a shop with old government furniture that typically had loose screws, rough formica edges, etc. My civilian/contractor boss was also relatively new to this change and after the first or second $300 suit that got ripped from loose screws, rivets, or nails, settled on a blue blazer, light blue shirt with tie, and khaki slacks: the "contractor uniform".

Worked for me!!!

The only time I wore a suit after that was if I was briefing a General Officer I didn't know. Colonels and below had to suffer with a blazer and khaki trousers.

I still have all those suits. I've worn them a few times - particularly when traveling and briefing a 2-3 Star General I didn't know, or on a high-level video conference. My last several years of employment, I telecommuted 100% and my "uniform" was either my bathrobe or shorts and a T-shirt.

The only time I wear those nice suits and shirts and ties and shoes is for funerals, memorial services, weddings, graduations, Christmas, and Easter. Fortunately, that is rare. I did wear out a set of nice Rockports doing barn chores...:)

It is very fortunate that my suits fit my nephew, and he will be transitioning from military to civilian life in a few years. Perhaps he can use them...Shoes won't fit, but I get the occasional chuckle scooping poop from horse stalls wearing Wingtips...Scooping poop from horse stalls wasn't much different from working in the Pentagon; but more satisfying.

#43 ·
One thing i have never understood...

why is wearing an uncomfortable scrap of cloth around one's neck considered "showing respect" for anyone/anything?

a necktie of any sort serves no *functional* purpose and is nothing more than a frivolous cosmetic affectation, why are they so bloody popular?

#48 ·
I have maybe 6-8 suits. Mostly worn for work and church. I'm retired so now they are only worn at furnerals and sometimes church. It's just a traditional way to show respect...but at 70 yrs old I'm caring less and less about others and don't give a rats azz what I wear.

#49 ·
Ok let me explain the tie. It’s a status flag. Like military insignia it lets others in the club know your rank. Pofsgary probably wore knit ties , Brown, in front of his students, by doing so they knew he was in charge, but that he wasn’t a threat.

A red or yellow tie means the person is aggressive and you’d better not get in his way. A blue tie means he’s a made man and can crush you if you piss him off. A multi colored tie means you are a thinker, and a valuable asset, ties with snow balls or golf clubs or Santa’s, mean you don’t give a rats butt, and should be avoided. The ties with diagnal strips means you are a worker bee and are willing to be exploited for a reward.

Bow ties, mean you are a pervert. Unless your wearing a tuxedo , in which case it means you are a victim of a pervert.

#50 · (Edited)
In one of T.S. Eliot’s poems, he writes the lines:

I grow old
I grow old
I shall wear my trouser cuffs rolled

As I read this as a young man, I had no idea what he
was trying to say. What the hell does old age have to
do with trouser cuffs.

Now that I’m an old man, I know what he meant.
As an old man, he didn’t care enough about his appearance
to have his cuffs hemmed. He rolled them and didn’t care
what anyone else thought about it.
Maybe as he grew older, he outgrew his vanity.

#64 ·
In one of T.S. Eliot's poems, he writes the lines:

I grow old
I grow old
I shall wear my trouser cuffs rolled

As I read this as a young man, I had no idea what he
was trying to say. What the hell does old age have to
do with trouser cuffs.

Now that I'm an old man, I know what he meant.
As an old man, he didn't care enough about his appearance
to have his cuffs hemmed. He rolled them and didn't care
what anyone else thought about it.
Maybe as he grew older, he outgrew his vanity.
Or.....maybe when you grow old you shrink a few inches and your pants get longer??

#52 ·
What about dresses , nylons, and high heels. What does that Say?

Appearance is important. Just look at nature. It conveys all sorts of information. But sometimes that information is false. Just look at nature.

It’s a balance, and sometimes goes out of balance. Like cod pieces. Or neck ties, or other fads.

The important thing is to comply. Fit in and not stand out. Doing otherwise marks you as a target. No tuxedos at a monster truck show, no wife bearer t shirts at gala event. The whole worlds a stage and you better be in the right costume and know your role and lines.

#56 ·
I have learned how a person dresses, has absolutely nothing to do with what kind of person they are. What I look for is cleanliness, manners, speech, and well groomed, and the respect they give to others when having a conversation. Even this doesn't tell you anything about their morality, or lack of. I don't go to weddings anymore (I know enough lawyers already), still do funerals (hat pin optional). :) However, there are times I really want to dress well and "put on the dog". When realizing I am having a "teenage flashback", I have myself a good chuckle and two Martini's (dry, dirty with olives) and go to bed. I feel better just talking about it. Yes, I have dress clothes, I'm not sure if they fit anymore.......... guess I'll find out next funeral. Wrangler jeans / slacks are still worn by well dressed men in Texas, no problem. Later Gator.....AH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.