Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Bolt buffer in my TD

4K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  linux_author 
#1 ·
Not sure what's different, but I have tried three different bolt buffers in my TD that dont fit.
They all fit perfectly in my regular 10/22, but are way too big for the TD. I have the stainless and synthetic stock.
Anyone else experience this, and find a buffer that fits?

Bit frustrated with this one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
my guess is your take down rifle just has more paint build up in the buffer hole than your others. If it was me Id try a little wax or mild water based lube on one end of the buffer and try it. Something like Imperial maybe. Some of the buffers are kind of gummy.

#4 ·
Not sure what's different, but I have tried three different bolt buffers in my TD that dont fit.
They all fit perfectly in my regular 10/22, but are way too big for the TD. I have the stainless and synthetic stock.
Anyone else experience this, and find a buffer that fits?

Bit frustrated with this one.
I purchased a 3-pak of buffers from JWH at same time I got a bolt & other stuff. Only one fit my new TD properly.

But, I have also experienced that with some of my other [non] TD 10/22's as well.

Worst case scenario, drill out the bolt buffer hole a little bit till one fits snug.

#7 ·
I had a little trouble with one of my Feddersen receivers being too tight to get a buffer in. Tried a few different ones. I ended up going to the hardware store and buying some fuel line and steel roll pins and made my own. Fits fine now. Unfortunately the roll pins could only be bought in a 500 pack and the gas line 5' length. So I shouldn't have to worry about buying any more buffers in the next couple hundred years or so.

#10 ·
Silly question, but why do we need them? Doesn't the charging handle limit bolt travel?
Pretty much, but the charging handle can go back far enough for the bolt to slide out of the receiver rails. My bolt used to hit the buffer quite a bit when I was using OEM handles and springs. Now that I use Kidd's in all of them I don't think they hit too much if any. Still would rather have it there just in case.

#9 · (Edited)
I still gotta try the hardwood dowel out.....
IF you choose to enlarge the action holes fractional size drill bits are not the proper tool. Number size would be better but an adjustable reamer is the correct tool.

#17 · (Edited)
Well.. for 55 years, the 10/22 has worked just fine with a steel bolt stop pin.

My 1966 10/22 has countless rounds through it with no battering or elongating. The bolt never hits the pin so a buffer is unnecessary.

I like tuffer buffers
2 questions..

1.) was "hot" ammo available back in '64 when the 10/22 first came to market?? Stingers, the Hot Aguila stuff, what-ever Remington calls there's & so on.

2.) What was the "nominal" velocity of 22lr ammo in '64? Today I would call 1200~1260fps nominal because those are the published ratings of most bulk pack 22 ammo.

If, say 1,000~1,100fps was nominal in '64, than maybe the bolt hitting the pin issue wouldn't have been an issue to start with.

Because there wouldn't have been enough recoil energy to drive the bolt all the way back to the point that it would strike the pin.

Just curious...

#16 ·
I bought a used 1970 vintage 10 22 for my son about 30 years ago. Have no idea how many rounds through it, but I can tell you that the hole the steel "stop" pin goes in is elongated. It even has some peening on the rear of the hole.

After joining here and learning about buffers, it now has one. It will limit the future wear on that hole.

#19 ·
I bought a used 1970 vintage 10 22 for my son about 30 years ago. Have no idea how many rounds through it, but I can tell you that the hole the steel "stop" pin goes in is elongated. It even has some peening on the rear of the hole.

After joining here and learning about buffers, it now has one. It will limit the future wear on that hole.
This is a "don't shoot the messenger" kind of post. The guy who didn't maintain the 10/22 it is squarely to blame for the elongated hole. If the recoil spring was replaced, the bolt never ever touches the bolt stop. Members here have run glass rod buffers with no ill effect. The bolt stop pin is a saving device.

2 questions..

1.) was "hot" ammo available back in '64 when the 10/22 first came to market?? Stingers, the Hot Aguila stuff, what-ever Remington calls there's & so on.

2.) What was the "nominal" velocity of 22lr ammo in '64? Today I would call 1200~1260fps nominal because those are the published ratings of most bulk pack 22 ammo.

If, say 1,000~1,100fps was nominal in '64, than maybe the bolt hitting the pin issue wouldn't have been an issue to start with.

Because there wouldn't have been enough recoil energy to drive the bolt all the way back to the point that it would strike the pin.

Just curious...
I'd guess that Stinger ammo came out in 1987 (ish) based on the boxes of '40th anniversary" CCI Stinger ammo I used to purchase. However the date is just a guess. The CCI Website however states 1967 as the stinger date. https://www.cci-ammunition.com/general/history.aspx

I believe they recently changed things however Ruger used to have a warning against Hyper Velocity ammo in the 10/22. Again if the rifle is properly set up (aka 'correctly sprung') it should be ok.

(See page 13) Ruger still doesn't like Stingers in CERTAIN rifles. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/ruger_1022.pdf

Marlin (in red) doesn't like them and they only wait till page 4: https://www.marlinfirearms.com/sites/default/files/MFC_M60_Tube_Manual_Final_rev 7_15SM.PDF

#20 ·
Just what 'maintenance by owner' is required of a factory 10-22 to prevent the hole elongation and peening?

#26 ·
I use the Viton buffer with the stainless pin. If it hits, it is much quieter and I mostly run suppressed, so the less noise the better. The action makes enough noise without it slapping against metal, LOL. BTW, it does reduce wear as per many opinions, including mine. JMHO which probably counts for zip.

#28 ·
I agree they do make them quieter, but I really only use ones that don't fall out, steel or plastic, as long as they stay put I use them. I hate when the pins fall out. Especially that little one for the magazine release /Bolt lock. :eek: lately I have been taping them
I use a tiny piece of scotch tape on the one myself, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.