Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Who has a Scope on Browning SA22?

22K views 88 replies 33 participants last post by  RvrRnr 
#1 ·
I have an Browning SA22. My eyes are too old for the iron sights and I need eithger a red dot or a scope.

I'd prefer a scope, but the tapped barrel mount looks to me like eye relief might be a challenge as the scope will likely be mounted forward over the receiver. The Weaver 4X28 has a 9" eye relief, but not sure that would work well either.

The second challenge is finding a scope that won't impair the sleek profile of the rifle. Hence the reason for red dot as being less preferable.

But the bottom line is I can't shoot the gun if I can't see the sights. If any of you owners have the SA22 with the scope mount on the barrel, please let me know what works for you.

Thanks

#2 ·
Eye relief is more dependent on which scope base you choose,rather than which scope.
The current Browning offering should be fine with any scope.A short Weaver or Leupold base, not so much.
I use an older style cantilever base,which was made by Redfield,and marketed both by Redfield and Browning back in the day.A Leupold 4x rf special or 2-7rf special, would be an excellent choice in compact size and performance. Both however,were discontinued in the last year,yet can be found with some looking.
I've used both of these, plus many others, in the almost 50 years that I've owned mine.

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you for answering.

I found the Browning cantilever mount still for sale by Browning. From pictures I've seen, It looks like the scope eyepiece would sit dead center over the receiver. My question maybe was phrased poorly.

Assuming the Browning cantilever mount is used, the rearward positioning of the eyepiece is quite limited, and well into the center of the receiver. I have an old Remington model 241 that has the receiver tapped so the scope eyepiece is over the pistol grip. This seems like minimal distance for most scopes I have to get a clear view. Is there a scope that you know of that would work well in the position noted on my SA22?

#4 ·
Pay the money for the Browning mount, don’t buy a copy (Weaver) like I did and I couldn’t get both rings on the mount it’s too short. I didn’t use the Browning rings as advised(expensive) found substitutes that work fine. I mounted a Leupold rimfire 2-7 and am quite happy

#9 ·
Another point of view.

I used the weaver base, aluminum ( way lighter)and smaller ( no BROWNING BILLBOARD)than the steel browning base. I put a Cabellas 3x 9 rimfire scope on it , and it has plenty of eye relief. I'm 62 have been near sighted since birth , wear glasses , and am getting cataracts.

All in all I spent $ 100 and good to go. The scope works great, the weaver rail works great, the set up looks good and doesn't detract that much from the beauty of this master piece of rifle design.

If you need the scope closer to your eye then get some cantilevered rings.I don't think you will need them.:)

#10 · (Edited)
This is the Browning mount that attaches to the barrel, which by the way makes tearing down the rifle for cleaning a breeze.

Yon can mount almost any normal length scope to this mount, and still have enough for-aft adjustment to give you your desired eye relief.

I usually have my Leupold VX-2 3-9X 33mm EFR mounted which is a very short scope. But I have mounted up my VX-3 6.5-20mm EFR whit is much longer with no issues.

So bottom line, just go with the Browning.

Smooth

#15 ·
Some people just like brand names on the outside of their jeans.

I know I won't win the argument here , but the current non slender browning mount is a big fat piece of pig iron when compared to the current smaller slender significantly lighter weaver mount, which is aluminum, which also allows the takedown feature to operate, and which is significantly less expensive. And yes it only has 2 rail slots, but it is also dove tailed so you have plenty of space to mount your rings, I used Leupold.

But if you really like that cowcatcher front end and like a heavier rifle and have money to burn then the Browning is for you.

But hey I am parsimonious and my SA is a Norinco that cost me$200 NIB so what do I know?

#24 ·
I know I won't win the argument here , but the current non slender browning mount is a big fat piece of pig iron when compared to the current smaller slender significantly lighter weaver mount, which is aluminum, which also allows the takedown feature to operate, and which is significantly less expensive. And yes it only has 2 rail slots, but it is also dove tailed so you have plenty of space to mount your rings, I used Leupold.

But if you really like that cowcatcher front end and like a heavier rifle and have money to burn then the Browning is for you.

But hey I am parsimonious and my SA is a Norinco that cost me$200 NIB so what do I know?
"Parsimonious?"Gee, if you're going to use $50 words,you can afford $50 mounts.:D I do happen to agree with your observation about the appearance of the new Browning mount. It is bulky,too heavy duty looking for such a petite rifle,and why they didn't go with a gloss finish to match the rifle, I don't know. My older version is gloss, slender and light, and I haven't experienced the flexing that some claim that it has.

#16 · (Edited)
I just rememberd that I purchased the Weaver mount before I switched to the Browning. I just found it in one of my storage boxes. It was simple labeled "Don't Use" and "Switched to the Browning".

I thought about not posting this because its been so along ago that I don't remember what I didn't like about the Weaver.
That makes this post weak, and I admit it.

However it was something that was a big enough deal that I spent the money for the Browning on a rifle that I rarely ever shoot (I don't hunt).

Smooth

#23 ·
Might want to try a 3/4 redfield 4x if you can find one.
Size wise,they are nice.Construction wise/optically wise, not so great..and they're all aging,with no service available as far as I know.
Price wise, right up there with the vastly superior Leupold 4x rf special.

Gru-bee imports a repro model of the Redfield,which sells for about 130 with rings and has better features than the original.

#19 ·
Yes, it does require sight removal.
They all require removal of the rear sight, with the exception of the Leupold mount,and even that one might need the sight removed or a little doctoring, if you have a pre 73 gun with the single large adjustment screw on the rear sight.

#22 ·
The Family has three SA's, one I gave my DIL the lefty (Japanese w/Simmons scope cause she'll hardly ever shoot it) , a very nice Japanese and a late Belgium that live at my house and both have Leupold 2-7x Rimfire Specials on them. All use the Browning mount and rings.:bthumb:

#26 ·
Lots of folks, though they went to the barrel mounted cantilever base in 66 or 67, since the grooved receiver types were prone to losing zero after take down. The grooved receiver types ate nice in that the rear sight can remain.
For a 3/4" scope, you can hunt down a Browning(made by Redfield), a Redfield, or a Gru-bee

#34 ·
You nailed it "too many .22s"

The Weaver mount works fine. A small square file can cut an extra slot if needed for positioning. Avoid the tip-off grooves on the mount...semi-autos like to make scopes go for a "walk". But a screw or pin can be installed to stop that and it won't touch the receiver.

#35 ·
I got my Browning scope mount in today. It did not have mounting screws with it. Someone please tell me this is a mistake. If not does anyone know what screws are needed and where to get them?

Second, I just ordered a Leupold Freedom 3x9x33 from The Optic Zone. The Freedom diameter at the objective is only 1.5” I believe that’s about 1/4” less than the vx2 3x9x33

Thanks for the help, I’ll post pics when I’m set up

#39 ·
Thanks Four52! I called Browning today and they as always were delightful and helpful on the phone and are sending me the screws. I gotta say, they have been fantastic to me everytime I have needed help with any of my Brownings.

Now I'm just waiting on a scope to come in.

Thanks everyone!

#40 ·
Thanks Four52! I called Browning today and they as always were delightful and helpful on the phone and are sending me the screws.
Great to hear the screws are on the way! :t

For the guys that run the Browning mount, I see they are only compatible with Browning rings, no. 12333. I gotta believe there are less expensive rings out there that will do the job just fine. What are you using for scope rings?
On my Browning mount I used a set of gloss Leupold aluminum vertical split rings.