Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The 'perfect' bolt action hunting rifle?

4K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  Mossbergman 
#1 ·
What is, (is there?) a perfect bolt action hunting rifle? For me, it'd be:

18" barrel w/open sights (hooded front sight would be nice because I like the look)
Flush 5 round magazine
Wood Stock
Sling Swivels
Grooved receiver
Light 4-5lbs
A GREAT trigger

What'd I miss? What is your 'perfect' hunter?

#2 ·
It depends on whether performance is the key, or if aesthetics are important.
If it is pure performance I would want stainless steel with a quality synthetic stock. If aesthetics is important then I would prefer blued steel with walnut.

A good trigger is important and I would prefer the flush fitting 10/22 mag with 10 dependable rounds.

#13 · (Edited)
MY perfect bolt action rimfire squirrel rifle is my Ruger 77/22 All Weather VBZ 22lr topped off with a Leupold VX3 6.5 x 20 AO.
The rifle is factory stock except for a wonderful trigger job done for me by an old gunsmith friend of mine. I have hunted squirrels for almost 50 years with many different rifle/scope combos and this is my all time favorite. I have a small stash of the old Western Mark II"Super Match" target ammo from the mid to late 1960's tucked away for it. Wish Winchester still made ammo like that! That stuff is amazing!

#16 ·
Depends on whats on the menu, but . . .

. . . if its rimfire, a Brno #1 makes for an awesome woods roamer - hunting rifle.

If big game (which for our area is whitetail deer), a Remington 600 carbine in .308 Winchester is my go-to. I've used one since 1976 or '77 and see no reason to change - its never disappointed me.

I'd attach a Photobucket picture of them, but it would be fuzzy. :mad:

#21 ·
.If big game (which for our area is whitetail deer), a Remington 600 carbine in .308 Winchester is my go-to. I've used one since 1976 or '77 and see no reason to change - its never disappointed me.
Agreed. The 600 is light and handy. I bought mine used and it was pretty beat up, but I was able to take the largest buck I ever shot east of the Mississippi with it. Same action as the XP-100 pistol, and ultimately, it evolved into the Model 7 action. Model 7s aren't bad either, but they are slightly heavier.

Did you replace the nylon trigger guard on yours?

#23 ·
For .22LR I'd have to say a period Stevens Favorite with a Marble's Tang sight and a Lyman 17 front globe.

For KA A-Zone, a Howa 1500 Mini in 7.62X39 fitted with a Boyd's laminate stock & Leupold 2-7x that weighs 6.5 lbs scoped. For longer ranges or bigger animals, a .308 Norma Mag in a Howa 1500 LA

#25 ·
A lot of nice choices.

I hate to take a high dollar rifle into the field. For a 22 bolt action rifle I like the Ruger 77/22 because they are usually accurate enough and the magazine is awesome.

If I was taking a semi auto, the classic Browning SA-22 is my favorite.

For a centerfire bolt action rifle, it depends on the caliber, but I prefer the Pre 64 Winchester Model 70s or the FN Mausers Supreme action rifles like the Browning Safari. They are both pure “class”.

#26 ·
I am taking my Ruger 10-22 to woods again today with its choate folding stock and slicked trigger. If you properly torque the action screw to where it likes it at about 20 inch pounds, the factory barrel may shoot fine enough for you. This one does. It out shoots my $800 gun. Do not get the super extended mag releases as they get in the way. Just the regular little extender and then also file out the bolt release to work “properly”.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.