Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

(1)What gun will you never clean again.

4K views 49 replies 33 participants last post by  wolfzinAZ 
#1 ·
(2)What gun do you like but detest cleaning almost enough to off it.

I needed utube to clean a Ruger Mark I I acquired and promptly sold it.
I haven't decided on the #2 firearm, yet!

#4 ·
The 870 is one of the easiest guns to take down and put back together. 5 minutes tops to strip on, clean and oil it and back together. You just lay the bolt assy on top of the two arms, and slide it in and the trigger group just drops into place and two pins to hold it in. Now for the trigger, that hammer needs to be cocked down into place before you can just drop it in. Don't give up on it. Keep trying. Super super easy once you know which piece goes in first. Once you do it a couple more times, it will be your easiest gun to strip down and reassemble.

#3 ·
Can I play , too ?

I just keep shooting 'til the gun don't work . Colt ACE will go about 150 rounds ; ARs go about 200 'til they crud up . Smith revolvers , centerfire , go many hundreds : the rimfires go as few as 24 (twenty four ) until the chambers are so filthy that you cannot seat a new round . Glocks run forever . :eek:

#34 ·
I just keep shooting 'til the gun don't work . Colt ACE will go about 150 rounds ; ARs go about 200 'til they crud up . Smith revolvers , centerfire , go many hundreds : the rimfires go as few as 24 (twenty four ) until the chambers are so filthy that you cannot seat a new round . Glocks run forever . :eek:
Only 200 on an AR?!? I've got one (M4ish clone) that has way over 1000 and another (A2 style) with well north of 500 that still run fine. Keep 'em wet and they just keep on going. Both are just plinkers so if they quit, oh well. My serious use ARs on the other hand, they stay clean and oiled!
I don't really have any guns that are a pain in the butt to clean, ease of maintenance is one of the things I look at before buying. Maybe that's why I mostly own bolt actions and single shots.:cool:

#8 ·
I don't "detest" cleaning any firearm.
YouTube vids are good to show proper cleaning procedures.
If you don't know how to clean one - Read or see instructions!

If you get to the point of "detesting" proper cleaning,
Sell it to some that want's it.

PS: If you don't know you know - Read or see instructions!

#13 ·
Make sure you check those old flint locks for loaded. 95% of the old Great-grand-pappy black powder rifles hanging on hooks were stored loaded.... If the cleaning rod stops an inch or 3 from bottom - you know it's loaded....

I have jettisoned all the impossible to clean rifles... Winchester semi-auto centerfire rifles are perhaps the world's worst in terms of being completely impossible to reassemble if you ever make the mistake of taking one apart - followed by a Browning A5/Remington 11.... BOING and springs go flying everywhere and parts end up stuck in the ceiling......

For me, though - the one I will "never clean again" is Grandpa's old double barrel shotgun. It's a wall hanger now - the barrels are BADLY corroded at the rib... It will probably blow up the next time it is fired. So it gets oiled and put up - but that's it.

#16 ·
(1)What gun will you never clean again.

My Ruger MKIV. It's very rare for me to sell a gun, but I offed that thing asap. Hated the material, the design, the finish, the weight, the feel, the looks, etc.
(Never bought it. Ruger sent it as a replacement for a gun they destroyed.)

(2)What gun do you like but detest cleaning almost enough to off it.

My AR-15. Fun gun, but the muzzle break (pinned on to meet minimum barrel length) is an impossible PIA to clean.

#20 ·
1. There are a lot that I shoot so seldom that they will probably never get cleaned again before going to foster homes.

2. My muzzleloaders. I love shooting them, but if I could report them to ICE, I would, when it's time to clean them.
(trouble is, they're all 'murican)

#21 ·
I clean all of my guns but I don't clean them after every trip to the range. I do not take the Mark II pistol apart unless absolutely necessary, tooth brush, Q-Tip and the bore with a pull thru. I do wipe blued guns down if handled every time. My Mark II is so hard to get aligned(I have to use a plastic mallet it's so tight) and then it's back and forth, just not worth it. Besides it doesn't need detail cleaning very often.

#28 ·
I once got snookered by a "friend" into disassembling and cleaning a rather valuable P-08 Nazi marked artillery model German Luger. It was perhaps the most precise manufactured handgun I had ever seen. Cleaning was not much of a problem, but reassembly was most tedious and time consuming and placed the pistol in a well deserved "never again" category.

#35 ·
I have a high point carbine, and the manual actually discourages disassembly. So I just spray it out with Gun scrubber, and brush it out once in a while. It’s 45 acp and hoot to shoot. Bought it used . Have a companion high point 45 acp pistol too! And they share magazines! Don’t disassemble that either!

I have a Ruge Mark ll , that I only took apart once. Really fun gun but a pia to put back together. Gunscrubber is a blessing! I use it on all the guns during the season, and only break them down once a year for a thorough cleaning. And put most of them away for the winter.

#37 ·
I never plan to do an advanced take down of my buckmark again! Worse than a Ruger Mark II to put back together. Just try and get that sear spring in on the first try.....10th try.... etc. I replaced the trigger with a stainless one and it wasn't worth the frustration putting it back together.

#38 ·
I don't mind cleaning any one gun more than another. Right now I have more dirty than clean. I will wait until winter and start chipping away at it.

The most difficult gun to clean for me is the little LW Seecamp. Getting that slide off and back on is a real pain. You need three hands!

R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.