Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Smoking a turkey

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  ALAN_50501 
#1 ·
I will be smoking a 22lb turkey saturday in a electric smoker...Goal is to put it on at about 9 and done about 5:00 or so.. at what temperature should i set temperature at? I'd start it sooner but i have to go out of town to smoke it thats why i cant start it until about 9

#3 ·
smoking generally dries and cures meat. Is that really what you want to do with a turkey? Beef Jerkey….OK.... Smoked Salmon..... Yes, But a whole Turkey? No. If you want to smoke Turkey, you may want to cut it into pieces as has already been suggested. An expect it to dry during the cooking. Fried Turkey seals in the juices and you get a moist bird in a fairly short amount of time.

#5 · (Edited)
I brine (seasoned up) overnite.. then I oven roast mine 3.5 hours at 350 then smoke on Med. temp. for 1.5 hours. :bthumb::bthumb: I like mine DONE... it pretty much falls off the bone.

#15 ·
I will be smoking a 22lb turkey saturday in a electric smoker...Goal is to put it on at about 9 and done about 5:00 or so.. at what temperature should i set temperature at? I'd start it sooner but i have to go out of town to smoke it thats why i cant start it until about 9
OK, I'll ask. Why do you have to go out of town to smoke a turkey? Local ordinance? Fire hazard? I guess an old timey bonfire would be completely out of the question!
Thanksgiving at inlaws house...put the turkey on about 9:40 took it off at 6:30 was perfect..About everybody likes it and enjoyed it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.