RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Have any of you ever stripped the factory finish from a CZ 452 AMERICAN?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 07:13 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am not sure if the finish is the same on the 452 . Just stripped a 455 American yesterday . Had called CZ USA and verified the factory finish as being Lacquer . Started out buy using stripper, Kleenstrip , unfortunatly M.C. is not available in my area but the product worked well . Took couple of applications over an hour or so . Used a sharp plastic scraper that didn't damage the wood ,The checkering didn't have the lacquer finish at all . There didn't seem to be a stain but penetration factor of the lacquer was evident especially at any end grain sections. I used 320 wet or dry and a mixture of 50 -50 lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol to further the process . All said and done the finish came off completely . I didn't photo document and have the first dust sanding done with B.L.O. its in the drying rack now . Good luck with the project ! I do have a question for others that have refinished the CZ rimfires . What angle single line cutter worked best for redo on the checkering after refinish my stock has been used in the field heavily and needs to be recut . I have heard that some European Mfg's use 60 degree only some 90 degree . WJR

Last edited by wjritchie; 10-05-2019 at 07:27 PM.