Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Has any handgun manufacturer produced one chambered for the 17HMR?

7K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  Kyler Hamann 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure exactly why but I've been thinking that would be a good small game getter if any were ever produced. A revolver would be the ideal and I remember several wildcat calibers were made using the pre & model 17 S&W revolvers . What do you Rimfire guys think?

I'm partial to double action revolvers and I read that Ruger made one in a Single Six. Thanks

#7 ·
Chiappa has one in single action and it can be had with an 8" barrel. My LGS has one in stock and it appears Chiappa has improved their quality control over the very early one I had in 22 rimfire. It's much better finished. Not a single six by any means but not bad for the price. It looks better than a Heritage.

#14 ·
I think you would lose a whole bunch of velocity if you put that cartridge into a pistol-length barrel.

You would almost certainly have better ballistics and economics to find a handgun chambered for 22mag
Velocity tests showed the Taurus 6" revolver was just shy of 2000fps. That's still real good. I'll bet it's stupid loud though.

#13 ·
I have a Taurus tracker in 17 hmr, I do not like the way the cases look when fired, the flair out at the end. Sent it back to Taurus for repair, and they sent it back and said their gun was designed this way. I believe it keeps the cylinder from locking up with this design. They sent back a target that they shot with I believe a 3/4 in group. I just can not get over the look of the spent cases. Some day I will dig it out of the safe and sell the thing.

#15 ·
Thanks

I really appreciate all the replies, had not considered the cylinders not being properly bored to fit the cartridges. Deformed cases would be a concern and could be similar to the problems encountered with the S & W Model 53 chambered for the .22 Remington Jet.

#17 ·
Now discontinued but Savage made a bolt action pistol, the Striker. It was available in 22 LR, 22 WMR and 17 HMR. I have the 22 LR and 22 Mag, was short of cash when a 17 HMR Striker was available. Both of mine shoot well enough to ruin a ground squirrel's day. I think a Striker in 17 HMR would be even better.
FM

#21 ·
Maybe I got the one that slipped through quality control but it was really bad. It went back to the factory twice. Still didn't function. It was stout. Squib in the barrel and a second round was fired, no barrel bulge (maybe the cylinder gap allowed enough pressure relief). One trip resulted in hammer strikes so strong, it was puncturing the rim causing massive blow back. Chiappa did stand behind it, shipping and "repir" covered both times.

The Taurus 6.5" was much more reliable. It still had a few failure to fires but reliable enough to recommend it. Taurus claimed the cylinder was designed that way, it never caused issues for me. No experience with their snub nose model.

The Chiappa Little Badger single shot folds up to fit under the seat, has better sights, more reliable, better velocity, and cheap.

Maybe a cut down A17 would work. Savage has that thing figured out.

#22 ·
Yup

I had one of the Anschutz 17P pistols and it was a hoot to shoot. It thought it was a rifle. I sold it because I had other HMRs and just didn't need it. Also had a Ruger single six in HMR which didn't shoot as well (OK, maybe it was me) and it also got sold.

As for cutting down an A17, my experience with 10/22s would make me very cautious. A bolt gun is one thing. A semi-auto, because it's relying on pressure, is another.

#26 · (Edited)
It's long gone now, but just FYI...

Excel Arms did offer a 17hmr version of their Accelerator pistol. Once, maybe 10 - 15+ years ago? Maybe longer.... This was when the model just came out, and it was available in 17hmr, 22lr and 22mag (17hm2 wasn't around yet).

With the first guns that shipped, the 17HMR versions had lots of problems with case heads rupturing, and the 22 guns,,,, didn't. As a fix, Excel offered to convert returned pistols to 22/whichever, which pretty much everybody did, just to get a working gun.

I was watching all this at the time because I really wanted the 17hmr (I already had the S&W 647) but the Accelerator was a new design, so I waited 3-4 months for other opinions,,, and by that time they weren't offering it anymore.

They still sell the same pistol but only in 22mag and 5.7 -- http://www.excelarms.com/handguns/acceleratorpistol.html ...So it is not impossible that you might chance upon an un-converted 17hmr Accellerator, used. It prolly aint gonna work right tho.

I recall that a number of companies back then tried to convert their existing 22mag rifles to 17hmr, and gave up because it wasn't an easy modification. I specifically remember that Ruger tried for a while to convert their 22mag rifle, and eventually admitted that there wasn't going to be a 17hmr version at all.

Volquartsen was the only company back then that made a 17hmr semiauto rifle that people said really worked correctly. It cost $$$$, but it worked and shot perfect.

I don't recall any other companies that made an autopistol in 22mag, that would have been suitable to even attempt converting to 17hmr. There was that goofy longslide pistol that came in 30 carbine and 22mag, but that was some years before.

...And I'm re-registering and posting on this dead topic now, because it's years later, and I'm coming back looking for a 17hmr pistol.... and there still aint any. :>\

#29 ·
I had two Ruger Single Six in 17 HMR, One was screwed up from the factory, barrel was tightened about a 16th of a turn too far but the sight picture was not really off enough to notice besides not hitting anything. Sent it back to get repaired and sold it after, never shot the other one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.