Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 Custom Shop rifle is in

8K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  Dobegrant 
#1 ·
Finally got in my stainless Custom Shop rifle.
Mounted a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24.
Grabbed a selection of ammo and tried them out at the 50yd line.
By a far margin, this rifle LOVES the Federal Premium HV Match, turning in 5 shot groups of .402 to .434. There was one .735 stringing vertically when my target was rocking in the wind. I was not happy with getting 5 failures to extract from this ammo, when it wasn't a problem with others.
Next favored was Eley Target (in the yellow box). CCI Green Tag was very disappointing, delivering groups comparable to CCI SV. Half a dozen other brands turned in mediocre results.
Dialed up 1.6 mil and gave it a try at 100yds with the Federal HV Match. I'm happy!
By that time, the wind was getting worse, so packed it up.

As a side note, while initially everything looked great, I noticed the muzzle brake wasn't tight. While hand tightening, I noticed a grinding sound. Took it off and found a spiral of metal caught between the brake and barrel face. How could QC have missed this?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
I have had mine since August and like it better each time I shoot it.
At first, it only shot average groups but it shoots great now.

In the beginning, mine would not extract rounds to save my life but I ordered a Volquartsen extractor/firing pin combo and the issue never came up again.
Here’s a pic of mine with its Vortex Viper 6-24x50 HS-T scope in Viper rings.

Attachments

#18 ·
From a hunting aspect it is unique to me if you look at all of the advertised features. Weight, barrel length, threaded, bolt release, some type of worked over bolt, a better chamber, cleaning hole in receiver, built in rail, some type of a dual bedding system and it sounds like maybe something is changed in the magazine and the price seems decent. And we are talking about half inch groups. Ruger has made a lot of different 10-22's over the years and maybe a lot of these features exist in one rifle or another but do they all exist in the same rifle. I am not as naive as I sound, I am fully aware of marketing hype, and I am not going to sell my rifles and go out and buy a couple of these. I am just discussing the fact that maybe someone woke up and decided to get a little part of this market that we all seem to be involved in. I don't hover over Ruger's website and maybe this is old news, I don't know. Maybe all of these features are old hat and not worth a darned and just called something different. But it sure sounds good to me. (It still needs a trigger)

#19 ·
I have another target lite also and it has b x trigger in it also when I ordered the custom shop 10/22 I was planning on changing the trigger but when I got it the trigger in this is excellent maybe I got lucky with this one but it is a consistent 2 1/4 l b crisp pull and the bolt is a lot nicer in this one anyway I’m happy with it

#22 ·
I like mine and it’s cheaper than building one to get all bells and whistles when I took it apart to clean it before I shot it I noticed a lot of upgrades starting with extra rear stock bolt and a upgraded bolt and firing pin is staked in front with another pin ! Guide rod looks like a kid style very smooth and receiver is a new style very well made screws on top off barrel along with v block on bottom.b x trigger fluted barrel is free floated an adjustable cheek piece in stock and mine is very accurate and barrel is treaded I gave $530.0 and it comes with hard case so total package I think is a good deal

#24 ·
Bucko, I ordered a 6oz KIDD 2 stage trigger for mine (like the one in my Chacon build) and plan on shooting them against one another in a few days.
Will post some pics of the groups when I do.

If my Ruger Competition doesn't shoot to my satisfaction, I will transfer the KIDD trigger to another rifle down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.