Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Other Mossbergs

3K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  USCGret 
#1 ·
Just picked up a beautiful Moss 195 shotty.

Like to learn a bit more about it, unfortunately not having much luck.
Would be nice to fine info like supplied by jbrentd.
Vintage Mossberg Rimfire Information, which I find priceless.

It's only stamped as Model 195, would like to know more.

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is the info from the old original damguy site.

Model 195 Bolt Action Repeater
3-Shot, Takedown, 12 gauge only (2 3/4-inch), 2 shell detachable magazine. Weight 7 1/2 lbs, barrel, 26" variable C-Lect-Choke, ventalated barrel, front and rear sight. Genuine walnut, Monte Carlo stock with rubber recoil pad. Made 1954-1955.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanx Bone. Good info.

Gonna keep digging. Need to find some good reading material on Mossbergs!!!

Edit: Don't want to push too hard with this thread, because it's not about Rim Fires.
Hoping it's okay because we're all Mossberg enthusiast first.

Headhunter just sent me some pics of the manuals that would have come with the gun when bought new and a Schematic.
Great to have everyone helping.:bthumb::bthumb:

#8 ·
My Dad gave me a single shot 410 Mossberg when I was about 12 years old.
Anyone know what model it might have been? I'm guessing the gun was made in the 40's or early 50's???

Thanks!

#12 ·
always wanted one of the early 410's with the select-o-choke, but never found one. I had the 20 and 16, but have since passed them on. So not really looking for the 410 anymore, but if one came along at the right price I would get it.

Bought the wife a Mossberg 510,410 pump when they first came out, it's a handy little shotgun. I use it to rabbit hunt with, light and easy to carry.

#13 ·
Well gonna keep going till someone says different.

Started field stripping, got to the bolt.
Now I'm stuck on the sear pin removal.

Doesn't look like it's threaded...
Darn thing won't budge.
Now I'm second guessing which way to try and knock it out.
Kinda going with driving it out from the small hole on the back of the bolt body.

Think it drives through this hole and comes out the other side.

Anyone have knowledge on the removal.

TIA

#15 ·
I've tried soaking it in Acetone/ATF, didn't help.
I'm at my limit on how hard I'm gonna smack this thing with a center punch and hammer.
Might try a bit of heat, then touch the pin with an ice cube and try one more time.

Or, just throw it in the Ultra Sound and call her good.:D

#24 ·
I've got an old 195K 12g bolt action also, believe its from late 60s, early 70s. My uncle from Chicago brought it to us in MI. Brother shot the choke off and Mossberg replaced the barrel and it's been fine since. I messed around with it a couple of years ago, found the magazine spring broken, so used it as a single shot shooting skeet for the first time. Was an interesting experience after shooting with a buddy's Remington 1100 if I recall. Will try to get some pics, and I believe I came across the original instruction sheet as well.

#26 · (Edited)
Now the cold weather is here, decided a little more time could be spent on the M195.
Most rifles I clean up, I try to keep as close to OEM as possibly...sometimes...you can bend the rules...a bit.
Mossberg Red as I call it, isn't one of my favs, always been partial to deep dark Walnut.

Stripped off the old clear coating from the stock.
Brushed on a coat MiniWax Ebony oil stain.

Let soak for about 30 mins then took a clean cloth and wiped it off.
Bottom pic doesn't really show how dark it turned out.
But it's not too bad, and now the wood grain is way more pronounced.

Might try a little checkering for some added character. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.