Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Hunting with a 10/22 TD

8K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  scoony 
#1 ·
Getting better at paper so I'm wondering if I could hunt with my TD. Still using iron sights at under 25 yards indoors.

How have you done with hunting with your T/D or is it wiser to get a reliable bolt action with a scope?

#3 ·
The TD is not inherently inaccurate. Mine does well enough to hunt with if chose to. It is a survival rifle. I will admit I could not get it to shoot well in the factory stock. Backpacker stock made a big difference. BX trigger helped too. The limitations on mine are mostly me. If I missed a squirrels head at 50 yards it is on me not the gun.

#4 · (Edited)
It's a great hunting rifle, has over the last few years been one of my go 2 hunting rifles. Absolutely perfect for small game to 25 yards, much better use for the gun than benchrest.

Print off a lifesize target and see what you can do with it in a normal hunting stance. You will quickly find it's you and not the gun limiting the hunt.....

Mine only gets passed over in lieu of a 17hm2, the 17 hm2 is so vastly more effective on small game my 22s usually get to play second fiddle.

#6 ·
Mine shoots well and was used for Rimfire Challenge competition for several years. I have upgraded to the Tacsol barrel and stock (not due to accuracy issues, but want to to be different); however, the issue of the flexing stock is still the same. It has now been bedded ubove the front sling swivel between the barrel and stock, to remove the flex. I have hinted and will continue to hunt with this rifle in the future. Currently, a 2-7 Weaver rimfire scope with detachable rings is mounted on receiver. Will shoot 1 1/2” groups at 50 yards off the bench. Good enough for my usage! Go forth and hunt with your rifle!

#7 ·
seriously, I'd hunt grey squirrels with my TD, but I'd use a self imposed limit to 50 yards

here's a pic of the type of groups it typically does for 5 shots at 50yds using Eley Sport

you can see it does some nice tight groups, then it throws a couple :(...so I don't really trust it yet for shooting much past 50yds...maybe as it gets more plinking time, the barrel will settle in a bit more

#8 ·
That's not bad at all, cracked. Certainly good enough for hunting squirrel. Is yours the exception that proves the rule? Though a few others here have reported good results, most have not. My concern is what happens after taking it down and putting it back together -- the idea behind the TD, no? If you can't take it down without sighting it in again after re-assembly, and not even sure whether it will shoot as well after, it sorta defeats the idea behind the rifle. At least for me. I would prefer even a basic 10/22 carbine -- still very light and handy -- as a better choice for hunting, and almost certainly more accurate than the typical TD. For certain purposes, the TD is fine and maybe even preferable, but IMO, that does not include hunting, except perhaps in a survival setting. But that's why there's more flavors than vanilla.

Doug

#14 ·
my BIL has a SS TD that groups better than mine, but he spends a bit more on what he feeds it than I do, and he also has a bigger optic than my little 3x-9x bugbuster

and as long as I remember to cycle the bolt on an empty chamber a couple times when I first put it back together, it doesn't seem to matter if I take it apart, or leave it together during a range session, point of impact doesn't seem to shift around (at the ranges I'm using it at anyway) I found out early that I get more impact shift from using the QD scope rings, and taking the scope on and off...since it still fits in the bag when mounted, I just leave it in place now

mine rides taken down and stowed in its bag strapped across the handle bars of my ATV most of the time...thinking about picking up a couple of the modular stocked models for the kids to carry on their mini bikes during our weekend rides out into the desert foothills

#9 ·
I've had two takedowns and they both shot just as well as a normal 10/22 plenty good enough for small game out to 50 yards. Zero never changed for me with sights mounted to the barrel or with red dots on the receiver same with other takedowns I've had. I did see some issues with a scope on a Marlin pappoose but the re install wouldn't be as consistent as with the 10/22 and it was never off far enough to where it would no longer be good enough for squirrels.

#11 ·
Squirrel and Nick, my experience has been the same. I have a 3x scope on mine and it's dependable and accurate to 50 yards for squirrel heads. I've taken rabbits at 70-75 yards but at 100 I'm not steady enough to shoot. I break mine down regularly with no accuracy problems.

#12 ·
Trail boss, i totally agree. Varmints, pests and prairie dogs all the way out to 100 plus yards. But that is because body shots are preferred. Have 5 TD rifles and 2 chargers, as long as i am consistent in my assembly routine zero is not affected. These days it is rare to carry a non TD.

#13 ·
It's possible. Looking forward to do so too.
A red dot is a nice upgrade over the factory iron sights and in my opinion increases your chances of scoring a proper hit.

A scoped bolt-action is usually a better tool for the job specially if expecting extreme accuracy but hunting with a 10/22 TD is perfectly feasible.

#15 ·
If you are talking about hunting with Iron sights out to 25 yards, then there really isn't a difference in a "Takedown" vs traditional 10/22, since sights are mounted on the barrel....

If you want to add a scope, there are some good techniques to maintain zero.
Keep that ring as snug as you can and still allow you to assemble and disassemble the rifle. should take some effort, but not so much you feel like you are straining.
Second is to pull back and drop the bolt 4-5 times after you assemble. helps reseat the barrel.

#18 ·
If you want to add a scope, there are some good techniques to maintain zero.
Keep that ring as snug as you can and still allow you to assemble and disassemble the rifle. should take some effort, but not so much you feel like you are straining.
Second is to pull back and drop the bolt 4-5 times after you assemble. helps reseat the barrel.
exactly! this works for me, and with good rings on my cheap scope i can remove the scope take down my SS TD, put it back together, reattach the scope, bang the bolt several times and be back in business

the TD is a great little rimfire rifle!

#17 ·
I have the TacSol barrel on mine with the Magpul red dot mount and I hunt jackrabbits with all the time. Anything within 50 yards is in the bag. I have taken rabbits out to 100 yards. Because my red dot mounts to the barrel, it has never shifted zero. I would say practice and when you are comfortable, hunt with confidence.

#19 ·
Hi, I am considering buying a TD if I can find one right now. Already have two 10/22s with regular stocks.
So I am reading as much as possible from all of you to get a better idea of on going accuracy with the TD.

Upon reading this thread, it appears almost all of you have experienced acceptable or above average accuracy with your 10/22 TD.

dbr65, you seem to have had some accuracy issues, would you please share with me what the issues were? How far off was the point of aim, etc. ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

#20 ·
Not Dbr but I'll try and answer with a short synopsis.

For some reason some takedowns have a wandering point of aim and impact when a receiver mounted optic is used. It doesn't happen to all of them, for example;

I have 3 takedowns currently in some configuration or another. From the factory one would not maintain zero each time it was taken down. Ended up back at ruger 2x and the last time was rebarreled with a volquartsen barrel. It tracked good for about 7000 rounds and now its wandering again.... My next one was bought with a backpacker stock but I tried it with optics just for kicks, it repeated zero just fine. The one I have for crew to plink with and carry has wandered with 2x factory barrels and a tacsol, but works just peachy with a red dot barrel mounted so that's how its rigged. Last Saturday the lane next to me had a fellow with 2x barrels and a takedown, could tell what he was doing as he swapped between the two and looked frustrated. He saw my takedown and came over to chat. Had his takedown for a month and in 1000 rounds and 3 total barrels couldn't get one to not wander 3-5 inches each time it was broken down. He liked the barrel mounted red dot and decided that was his solution.

Some work great, and you will have folks defend them with a religious fervor. Others will wander at a frustrating level, I've had factory and factory tweaked rifles do both. If you get one that repeats, great. If not have a back up plan for some kind of barre mounted optic.

#21 ·
I think with a scope on the receiver and the vagaries of reassembly with less than precision/consistent alignment of receiver and barrel, wandering POI is bound to be an issue. It sounds like some TDs are good at maintaining that alignment with re-assembly and others not. Is it manufacturing variances that cause the inconsistent lock-up with re-assembly? I expect so. Clearly, a secure barrel-mounted sighting device resolves that issue. So, if you get a good one...

Doug

#22 ·
have to agree with you Doug..if someone who can control the tolerances of the receivers better than Ruger, made a takedown, I'm sure their would be fewer issues

I think Brownells (also a bit dubious in the QC dept. of late) offers a takedown receiver and so does Tactical Innovations but haven't heard much about either of those.. good or bad

I've been on the fence about snagging one of the TI's 80% takedown receivers just to see what I can do with one..but at $150 I'm still thinking about it

#23 ·
Thanks for the clarification everyone.. I now understand the value of barrel mounting the optics on the take down.

Next question, what are the mounting options available to do that. I have done a number of searches and have found few choices. Could you share what you are using?

Also, sorry if this is hijacking the thread.

#26 ·
I've been hunting with my TD for a few years now and haven't had any issues. I only run Winchester M22 subsonics, have a Vortex 1-4 scope mounted on the receiver, and use a fairly heavy-for-class suppressor on the stock barrel. I always break it down and reassemble it during transport on the way to the woods or range and the zero hasn't changed. I verify this fairly often at home with a reactive target set at 50 yards. It's easily minute of squirrel out to 75 yards and taking game is more on me than the gun. If you're getting good on paper at those distances, I say rock on and happy hunting.

#27 ·
BUT, my wifes sisters boyfriends daddy said, BLAH BLAH BLAH & BLAH.

I somtimes believe half the peoplel on gun forums have never actually fired the guns they give details on. They "heard" that take-downs won't go back together the same way and won't zero to the same place. We are talking about a .22LR within 50 yards in most cases. IF it doesn't zero how far off can it be at those ranges???

#28 ·

I somtimes believe half the peoplel on gun forums have never actually fired the guns they give details on. They "heard" that take-downs won't go back together the same way and won't zero to the same place. We are talking about a .22LR within 50 yards in most cases. IF it doesn't zero how far off can it be at those ranges???
😂😂😂 true. I only offer anecdotal information when I can and try my hardest not to just parrot the common opinion. Other unpopular firearm opinions I hold:
•Scout scope setups are AWESOME!
•Hera Arms CQR stock is cool.
•The Ruger M77/22 WMR is a great rifle. 😁

#30 ·

😂😂😂 true. I only offer anecdotal information when I can and try my hardest not to just parrot the common opinion. Other unpopular firearm opinions I hold:
•Scout scope setups are AWESOME!
•Hera Arms CQR stock is cool.
•The Ruger M77/22 WMR is a great rifle. 😁
I think Scout scope sets are cool! I want one one day on either a 30\30 that I don't have at this time, or the 357M Henry I do have . 🙂👍

#31 ·
When people say the6 arent accurate , i assume that means they arent bug hole guns used to shoot paper targets. Mine is more than accurate 3nough to shoot a squirrel in the head at 25 yards. Left eye or right eye , its still an ethical kill. I use a red dot on mine , 4 moa, 1- 4x,on the receiver at 25 yards thats an inch . Mine greatly improved with these 2 things. The mag pul stock, and adjusting the alignment of the forend stock and barrel to the receiver.

Even my Frenchie , got good with the alignment adjustment. It has a 3 x9 rimfire scope on the receiver.

Never lost poi on either. And I like scout rifle set ups too:bthumb:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.