Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Garrow Firearms Development 17hmr locked bolt gas operated AR upper

40K views 143 replies 32 participants last post by  M92pv4u 
#1 ·
I will put pictures in here shortly, however right off the bat I want to say, WOW! Love this upper!

You can use any AR 15 lower, the magazines are same size as a 20 rnd magazine, however, take only 10 rounds. So California and other states legal!

Extremely accurate, have been having minor issues with the cci and federal fmj rounds, however, much of this is I think due to the case lots themselves.

Have run 5 different loadings (50+ rounds of each) from Hornady through Federal and CCI -

Accuracy is extremely good, stacked rounds on top of each other at 50 yards, and well under an inch at 100 yards - best groups were with the Hornady 17 grn vmax and the cci version as well as the various hollow point loadings. All minimum 5 round groups, most 10 rounds.

Will be updating with pictures, video links and more as I collate data, so at the moment, it has been better (reliability and accuracy than the Anderson upper and the out of the box Savage I have.)

Again, check out their site, and I will update more as I get it put together -trying to get full video, pictures and verify everything.

Fun action, smooth, no discernable poa shift when shooting! Not huge with any rimfire but, still very nice!

Jesse

See less See more
#69 ·
His website didn't indicate any delays, so I placed an order on June 6th, he charged my card immediately.

A week later we traded emails and he said it would be "a few weeks" before it shipped. I told him I would need to just cancel as I would be out of the country in Jul-Aug-Sep, he replied OK.

June 17th I emailed and asked if he could please refund my card... no response.

June 20th, still no refund, so I filed a dispute with VISA.

Good luck to you guys.

#71 ·
I am in the same boat....ordered end of may. The last time i talked to mike he was waiting on bolts. A guy has to keep in mind tho he is one guy doing everything from design to assembly to ordering parts to sweeping the floor and answering the phone and emails is going to need some time. I just hope it is worth the wait. I see it now said sold out on his web site.

#73 ·
Garrow Firearms Development update

Im a sponsored shooter for GFD and right now Mike Garrow (owner) is jammed up on BCGs. His BCG supplier backed out on him, so hes working on getting a new supplier right now. No ETA yet. I can post updates in the group as I hear, I talk with him almost daily. The problem is that he doesn't order multiple thousands at a time so hes considered a "small account" and gets pushed off for bigger customers. But, hopefully we can get a supplier that will only handle his special BCG's and not other companies. I will see if I can prod him into sending out updates. I'm trying to get him set up with a division of one of my other sponsors that does custom machining. Pray it works out, it would be exactly what GFD needs and a perfect fit.

#91 ·
Im a sponsored shooter for GFD and right now Mike Garrow (owner) is jammed up on BCGs. His BCG supplier backed out on him, so hes working on getting a new supplier right now. No ETA yet. I can post updates in the group as I hear, I talk with him almost daily. The problem is that he doesn't order multiple thousands at a time so hes considered a "small account" and gets pushed off for bigger customers. But, hopefully we can get a supplier that will only handle his special BCG's and not other companies. I will see if I can prod him into sending out updates. I'm trying to get him set up with a division of one of my other sponsors that does custom machining. Pray it works out, it would be exactly what GFD needs and a perfect fit.

Just like to get a reply from Mike about the AR-17 upper I ordered.

#77 ·
Well I ordered a 17 hmr upper to try but what I really want is one of Mike's 17wsm uppers when they become available. Hopefully you guys can get him a option going for a bolt supplier. If he gets that solved mabee he will get to work on the wsm.
There are a lot of guys who are wanting a good option for the wsm. Savage bmag don't cut it.

#81 ·
When I ordered my Garrow upper u asked about 22WSM, Mike replied it's up there with 9mm, somewhere down the line.

In the meantime, Ray Vin makes a nice 22 Win Mag upper that uses the same mags as the Garrow, but last I checked his site was offline; he does that, synonymous with leaving the phone off the hook, when he's not in production.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#82 ·
Mike has a 17WSM functional, but is working on getting some custom mags built. I should hopefully have it in the next month or so to do testing, but its coming along nicely. Same with the 9mm upper, its functional but waiting on the testing bolt to be machined out of steel (the first prototype bolt was aluminum) and I'm gonna test that one in PCC matches as soon as its ready to test out. Basically, gonna run em hard, find spots that need tweaking, he makes the changes and then throws them into production. I will keep you all up to date on the progress of the new uppers.

The 22 mag is just in the beginning phase (first barrel being produced now), but should use many of the same parts as the HMR with only small tweaks.

#86 ·
If the wsm closely follows the same design as the hmr it will have roller locking balls instead of a rotating bolt. The bolt will be lighter so it will have less harmonics from the bolt closing than a heavier bolt. I already have the hmr so I would like a matching upper in wsm a bonus is supporting a California based small business.

#95 ·
To have manufacturing problems is one thing, but to completely put your, paying, customers on ignore, is just a very poor business model and short of life threatening health issues, IMO, there is no good excuse for it.

This is very unfortunate to hear because it seemed like a very promising product and I would have considered an upper in 17 WSM if one was ever made, but now, I'd probably shy away.

#98 ·
So i picked up one of these uppers used. I'm having an issue when you charge the upper and feels like the bolt is catching on the trigger hammer. I have just a standard mil spec trigger installed. I end up removing the upper and the bolt snaps back normally. It's definitely catching on something. Emailed Garrow about this but no response.

On a side note when I unpacked the upper from shipping and I forgot about the buffer spring and it got tossed in the trash with the box. I have a carbine buffer spring installed right now. I do have the plastic buffer. Everything is installed per the manual. Thinking this may have something to do with my issue.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with the bolt.