Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

, Pix, new to me model 39

687 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  jnyork 
#1 ·
Here's pix of the 1920's (?) Model 39 I got at the Yuma AZ gunshow today:

See less See more
#7 ·
It should have 39-A on the barrel . The letter A is probably there but was not roll marked clearly. Marlin started roll marking 39-A on the barrel the first year the 39A was introduced in 1939
Nice rifle by the way. I have the exact same year and model with very strong case color and in exc. condition. A quality firearm and a pleasure to own and shoot.

#9 ·
It should have 39-A on the barrel . The letter A is probably there but was not roll marked clearly. Marlin started roll marking 39-A on the barrel the first year the 39A was introduced in 1939
Nice rifle by the way. I have the exact same year and model with very strong case color and in exc. condition. A quality firearm and a pleasure to own and shoot.
The "A" is NOT THERE, never has been there, is not lightly stamped or anything like that. It simply is NOT THERE. It probably SHOULD be there but it is NOT THERE. I think if you look at the pix in my other thread you will agree.

I have developed a theory on this , it being in the very low serial number range. I think it is possible they started the run of 39A's using the old 39 rollstamp and switched it over to the new one later on in the run. Makes sense to me knowing the strange way Marlin has done other things over the years.

Empe, what is the serial number range on your gun, mine is 12xx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.