Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Benchmark 3 groove rimfire barrel

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mrec300 
#1 ·
What velocity is everyone finding that their benchmark 3 groove barrels like. Not brand but velocity. Mine seems to like about a 25 fps range. Above or below doesn't seem to tune in well.

#3 ·
1055-1075 shoots very well, if you get up around 1080 the accuracy starts to drop off.
I have talked with people shooting Anschutzs and people shooting shilen ratchet barrels and they claim it doesn't matter a velocity they can tune the ammo in with the tuner.
Just looking to see if any other benchmark barrel shooters have noticed a "window"

#6 ·
How many lots have you tested at 1080fps+? The reason I ask is the vast majority of quality ammo lots are going to fall in your 1055-1080fps range. Especially if you are shooting alot of eley match and tennex. Even most center x and midas + will be below 1080. This is not to say that there isn't good lots faster than this but there is so few quality ammo lines that produce ammo higher than this in speed that your chances of finding a lot that shoots is not near as good. Same goes for ammo below 1055 fps in speed. They are out there but much, much harder to find.

Tad

#4 · (Edited)
Not really, I have 3 lots of Center-X that all shoot extremely well in my 1416 TH with a 2 grove Benchmark.

Barrel is 22.75/24 inches long. Exposed barrel, and total length including the chamber respectively.
Barrel tapers to .750 at the muzzle.
It has a vey tight custom chamber.
Custom in that a shooter had it made to his specifications, used it once, and then left it with my gunsmith.
It has cut less the 10 chambers over the last 20 years. My smith is a centerfire benchrest world record holder (x2), and has chambered barrels for several other world record holders.
So .22' are not his main business. That's why the reamer has been used so little.

They have box speeds of 1070, 1075, & 1080 fps. I have not chronographed them.
This is the test target for the lot that has a 326/mps or 1070 fps spec.
Purchased a case.:)

I do not use a tuner with this rifle.

My conclusion is that I haven't seen any correlation between speed and accuracy.
That's probably because I have some ELEY MATCH and TENEX that also have shot extremely well in this rifle, and they have speeds in the low 1060's.
Now all of his ammo is within 20fps of each other, so I guess i can't really answer your question.
I have less than a brick each of the ELEY, so I'm just sitting on it.

Smooth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.