RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Why shoot silhouettes?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 01:00 AM
jpw062

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The point of my post is that many people in this society want instant gratification. We call them bench rest shooters. People do not want to think about the time and effort it will take them to compete with Master class shooters.
You realize how arrogant that statement reads, right?
Are you saying the top bench shooters aren't equal to those in other disciplines of the shooting sports? If I show up to your event and you, as a leader, say things like this I am probably not coming back.
I don't know you. I am basing what I type on a very limited window into your behavior offered by your posts. I admitted that before and your posts read as defensive to me which further reinforces my position.

I am not a bench shooter. I only shoot off a bench to get an initial zero with a new set-up. My rifles are light with iron sights. I don't have a rifle in my stable with which I could put a competitive score on the board in even the local matches.
I have still spent enough time around bench shooters discussing their sport with an open mind to know they put a ton of time into preparing for their competitions. Yes, their preparations are of more of an engineering type than practicing pulling the trigger, but they don't just slap a scope on a production rifle, throw it down on the rests and start yanking on the trigger.
You know what is really hard? Point shooting a pistol off hand out the window and forward while driving a car. A straight line isn't easy, but throw some cones down and it gets really interesting. I've never tried a motorcycle, but there is supposedly a guy who can do it proficiently.

I was really disappointed the first time I spoke at length with a drag racer and found out they don't just slam on the gas and head for the finish line full speed to see who gets there first. I kept my ears open and my mouth shut long enough to learn the basics of the timing and all the prep for a run. I don't go around talking about how people who can't hold a line on a gravel turn aren't real drivers.

This thread started with:
Quote:
We're not getting many shooters to try it and few come back. Any suggestions?
I am in a lot of organizations. I go to a lot more organizations for a meeting or two and don't go back. Whether or not I go back has very little to do with the subject of the organization. It also has little to do with any competitiveness. I have won plenty of awards and trophies from athletics to research to people telling me they named their kids after me (the greatest honor I have had yet and stand at two, BTW).

Don't be arrogant. Don't talk down to new people. Assign greeting new people and making sure they have all the help they need to a person. Literally make it a position in your organization and give it to the most friendly/outgoing/extroverted person who has basic competency, not the most skilled. Realize this is the most important position in your organization. Have someone assigned back-up unless your primary doesn't show or there are more new people than they can handle. Make a checklist. Yes, a checklist of what information needs to be given to new people.
I started traditional archery this Summer. I don't really like it. The group I found is great though. When I move sometime next year that will probably be the end of archery for me. Real simple. I called/e-mailed several firearms groups before trying archery. Short conversations with them and I decided going to a meeting wasn't necessary. Not that there aren't firearms groups that are great. I miss the CMP high power group I used to shoot in where I lived ten years ago and the trap group I shot with where I lived before that. There was a rimfire pistol league in there somewhere.

Last edited by jpw062; 10-10-2019 at 01:20 AM.