Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

"Ultimate 77/22" picture thread!

390K views 437 replies 200 participants last post by  STRUGL4X'SC 
#1 ·
seems like there should be a thread for 77/22 pics.

bull barrels, suppressors, aftermarket stocks, etc...

from GM's site:

See less See more
#4 ·
Those guns sure are some fine looking ones thats for sure. Ive been watching this post. Why not post average sized groups that you shoot with it too, since there are so many posts about the accuracy of these guns it seems. Regardless if they have aftermarket accessories, i know there are some real good shooters in the mix. I was just wishing there was a post with info on the gun doing the shooting, or like here, at least a picture of it, with avg group size or something included, knock out two birds with one stone.

Ole man river- i sure do like that blued gun in the middle pic! Like to stick that massive palm swell from the first stock onto that angled thumbhole stock too. I think that would fit me right nicely. :D

#5 · (Edited)
Great thread Idea.
Here is my sleeper. Its a 1984. Bedded, floated and triggered. I am not sure what the trigger is as I bought it used. Pull is about 2 lbs. no creep, no overtravel. Its a .22LR but sometimes it plays the role of a single shot .17 HMR thanks to a spare take off barrel purchased from an RFC member!

Group size: Under 1/4" @ 25 yds.

#7 ·
well it's not an "Ultimate" in most folks eyes but here is what i have after a couple of purchases from two diff. guys here on rimfirecentral. i have done the target sear on it but i have yet to get it bedded. shoots well though, i don't have any pics of groups but i'll get some next time out with it.

#10 ·
Cassings, check out Midway and Mid South Shooters Supply for stocks - those are my favorite sources for stuff like that anyway. I like the stock rifles as they are, even the stainless ones with the canoe paddle stocks. Maybe not the sexiest upgrades, but I'd probably spend my money on work from CPC. Seems like they consistently deliver improved accuracy and have lots of satisfied customers. Just my $.02.

#12 ·
Nice picture guys. I am thinking that I need a 77/22mag to play around with.

I'd like a heavy fluted barrel and a grey laminated stock to tuck a nice stainless action into.

I had a .22 Hornet 77/22H years ago and I put a Dayton Traister adjustable trigger in it with a Volquartson sear and man was that nice.

Maybe after the '05 taxes are paid up.

Jay

#16 ·
Here's one of mine ,a 77/17.
Nothing done to it, but a trigger job. Some guns just shoot to good to mess with,so I leave well nuff alone. Just this once,anyway......er so far. :D

#18 ·
Troutman,

I have been wanting to rework my stock 77/22 for awhile now. I really like the look of that Boyd's furniture you have installed.

Looking at the Ross Thumbholes on Boyd's website, I am assuming you have this model:

403-829 ROSS RUGER 77/22 FBC STK PL (VIP) $88.94

... which claims to have a "factory barrel channel" - thus I assume you had to sand it out for the .920 barrel - please confirm this!

#20 ·
DropTheHammer..Yes that is the stock on my rifle. Zomby's right, The barrell channel is plenty wide enough for just about any heavy barrel you might want to fit. I only needed to finish the stock with some fine sanding and a little bit of sanding around the inleting in the action area to get nice square seating of the metalwork to stock. I bedded the action and the first 2" of barrel forward of the barrel clamp with Devcon.

#23 ·
Troutman,
hey i'm new to this forum and i have a 77 in 22WMR, shoots ok, but i want to trick it out, i like the looks of yours, i'm thinking a new trigger,stock and bull barrel, sould you give me a list of the mods you did to your rifle and the vendors, i've found green mountain and boyd's. how complicated is it to make these mods? i'm mechanically inclined, but i haven't taken many guns apart. is this something that i should try myself? have you seen where you can buy a .17 barrel for my gun? how hard do you think it would be to change over from .22 WMR? if you could point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it.
thanks

#24 ·
Hi Crundies,
If you've found Boyd's & Green Mountain, you're well on the way. Take your pick of aftermarket triggers..down here in Oz, the Rifle Basix has a good rep but I reworked & polished the factory trigger on mine. As mentioned in above posts, the rifle is bedded/floated and I've machined an oversize bolt pin to tighten the bolt halves, did a bit of hand lapping of the lugs & bolt mating surfaces. I then set the barrel up centred in the receiver with Loctite and let it set overnight before clamping. If you're in the US, send it all to Randy at CPC for accurizing work. This is what I'd suggest if you haven't played with this stuff, bedding in particular can be a bit tricky.
The change from .22 WMR you propose is not particularly hard or involved, the GM barrel will come with shims for headspace (if needed) and another one for the barrel V-clamp (if needed), all with good instructions. If your Ruger is a synthetic stocked model, you will also need the triggerguard and magazine well from Ruger to use the Boyd's stock. Good luck with the project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.