Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

More Winchester Magazine Info

26K views 76 replies 18 participants last post by  C5250B 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is the FINAL DRAFT matrix I put together for pre-64 Winchester .22 magazines applicable to the 52/56/57/69/75. If you downloaded a previous version you can scrap it and copy this corrected revision. I am sure I made a few more errors and omissions and I am looking for feedback from you guys to help me finalize this for posting. Thanks to XLIV for getting the ball rolling.

I took certain liberties as you will note;

- Late 52B's and 52C's were supplied with a solid body SS adapter while concurrently the sheet metal adaptor was available as an extra so I lumped the 69/75 into the sheet metal SS usage since they did not normally come with a SS adapter except for the 69A Match and Target.

- The 69 magazines produced from 1935-circa 1945 should have been specifically marked for the 69 however since I have seen some NIB 69's of that era with 52 style magazine floorplate markings (no "69") I added the 69 to both columns.

- I grouped the rifles by vintage, NOT by sub-model (A,B,C, Target, Sporter etc.) since there is some overlap of production. Basically, if the rifle was produced within the date window it should have the magazine indicated in most cases, regardless of variation or sub-model. To avoid confusion I purposely omitted the sub-model designations from the Winchester model number on the list.

Also, you will note that the Model 69 was chambered for .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle and the magazines formerly dedicated to .22 Long Rifle were also used for the .22 Long commencing with the production of the Model 69 in 1935. All other models continued to utilize the .22 Long Rifle magazine for .22 LR only.

And a final note, the magazines detailed below are functionally interchangeable with ALL of the rifle models listed. The primary purpose of the matrix is to match the correct era and type of magazine to a rifle as originally supplied from Winchester.

Best Regards,

Attachments

See less See more
#40 · (Edited)
Some of the sample guns (pre-production) that were sent to Col. Whelen for evaluation were chambered for .22 Short and are referenced in correspondence between Whelen and Winchester. I have not seen them but there is sufficient evidence to indicate they did exist. There is no production information which indicates a .22 Short version was ever made during the normal production of the 52. There is some early documentation that suggests the accuracy of the .22 Short in the 52 barrel was sub-standard. Based on the initial success of the 52 in .22 LR and the Army award to Savage for the 1919 the .22 Short version was shelved (but not forgotten). The introduction of the 56 and 57 six years later gave Winchester the avenue to push the .22 Short forward. The accuracy problems experienced by the sample Model 52's during testing were addressed with a dedicated .22 Short barrel and magazine on the Model 56 and 57.

Regards,

#42 ·
Rafter7 is no doubt a heck of a Winchester collector. The top rifle has no serial number and is more than likely one of the original samples I mentioned. I am envious he was able to fondle it. The second photo is probably the 52 Sporter Seewin mentioned he examined. I can't make out the whole serial number on it but it looks like the one I saw being discussed several years ago with regard to authenticity.

A picture is truly worth a thousand words, although there is no guarantee they are the right words ;)

Regards,

#45 ·
If there is interest I can put together another chart illustrating the post-64 Winchester variations and replacement magazines. There are a significant number of them and I am hesitant to muddle the pre-64 chart with that data. I would prefer it on a separate chart if that is ok with everyone?

Regards,

#48 ·
Ok Gentlemen,

I have uploaded the post-1964 chart to my original post at the begining of this thread. To be perfectly honest, I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the magazines after 1964, post-64 stuff is just not my cup of tea. So, if anyone has any corrections or additions I will be happy to make them as I am sure there is probably stuff I am missing.

Regards,

#50 ·
Thanks - :eek:

I moved most of the drawings to the original post to make it easier to download everything without having to search the entire thread. I also tweaked the post-1964 page and uploaded a new one so for anyone that downloaded it last night you might want to grab the newer one (R3 P3).

Regards,

#56 ·
Back to the top again since there was interest in the Winchester 52 section.

I was able to repair the photobucket links so the images are mostly intact. There are still some images that are not showing from other member's posts though.

Regards,

#58 ·
Best holiday wishes to you and yours Steve. It is kind of hidden up in the stickies so I bump it every now and then. It was a collaborated effort by a lot of people here on RFC, I just typed it up nice and pretty. :D

Best Regards,

#64 · (Edited)
Winchester marked magazine

I have a NOS Winchester Model 52B magazine that is a 5 round LR, 3 rib magazine with Winchester but no trademark stamped on the floor plate and the follower is angled. This is different than anything listed in the OP. Any thoughts on this mag? JWA, this is probably an addition to what you have seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.