Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Appleseed in IL

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  pblanc 
#1 ·
I find it distressing that there is only one active "club" entity doing Appleseed in IL.

Having a deep genealogical relationship to the Rev war folks and as a member of The American Mountain Men whose roots are related to the Eastern folks that were the over The Mountain Men and later became the trappers of the Rocky Mtns. I would like to see more participation from Illinois clubs.

This is just me talking.....

#3 ·
Many ranges may not have yet posted their event schedules so it is possible that more Appleseed events will be listed in Illinois for next year as time goes on. There are AS events held throughout the year in Indiana, including at my local club range near Newburgh.

As for Revere's Riders which has two day rifle events very similar to the AS format, I am not aware of any events having been held in Illinois in the last couple of years, but I could be wrong. There are several ranges in Indiana, not too far from Illinois that have Revere's Riders events including ranges at Seelyville (near Terra Haute), Bedford, and Nashville.

It is a fact that many excellent former AS instructors in the Indiana/Kentucky area left Appleseed a few years back, and are now Revere's Riders instructors.

#6 ·
Many years ago, Illinois was one of the strongest Appleseed states. Do to a disagreement between a couple of Shoot Bosses and Management, most Shoot bosses and Instructors in Illinois were fired. They did the same in Indiana a couple years later.

Since then no one has bothered to rebuild either state.

Now that the founder of Appleseed, Fred, is retired a committee is running the project. I foresee a slow painful death.

#8 ·
If you live in or near Marion, IL you are within two hours drive, or a little less, to Red Brush Rifle Range in Newburgh, IN (just east of Evansville). The drive is an easy one.

Although RBRR has not yet put up the schedule for 2020, there will be two or three 25 meter AS events there this year, and there is usually a one day KD event as well.

#13 ·
A couple of additional Appleseed events have been posted for Illinois. There are two day 25 yard/meter events scheduled for April 18-19 and Sept 26-27 in Bonfield, IL near Kankakee.

Red Brush Rifle Range (just east of Evansville, IN) has also submitted this year's Appleseed event schedule. Standard two day 25 meter events are scheduled for April 25-26, May 23-24, and July 18-19. There is also a one day 25 meter event scheduled for August 30 and a one day known distance (KD) center fire rifle event scheduled for October 17.

The long rifle range at Red Brush goes out to 500 yards but many different events get scheduled for both the 500 yard and the adjacent 400 yard range. Both ranges can not usually be used simultaneously because they are adjacent to each other and not fully divided by a berm. With all the events that get scheduled for one or the other of these ranges, it is not possible to schedule one for a full weekend for Appleseed KD events, so these have always been limited to one day.

I am not sure why the 25 meter event on August 30 is a one day event.

If anyone is interested in any of these events, they now appear on the Project Appleseed event schedule pages for Illinois and Indiana.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.