Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Mark XXII

15K views 72 replies 22 participants last post by  langenc 
#1 ·
Picked up a new Mark XXII yesterday during a gun buying spree. Got it cleaned up last night. Pretty nice looking rifle. Got the trigger adjusted pretty nice so now all that's left to do is stick a scope on it and shoot. I think I'm going to move my V24 over from my 1712 to this one and put a 6x20EFR Leo on the Annie.

Anyway, here's a few crappy photos... They don't do it justice but it was late and I was tired. It's not as nice as the one 9fingers just got, but I'm happy with it.

Again, sorry for the photos... they really don't do it justice.

Have a good day.

Kenny

See less See more
#52 ·
Thanks guys. I was bummed over this rifle.

As mentioned, this rifle was a whim purchase. I think it's one of the most beautiful rifles I own. It fits me perfect, handles like a dream, and looks like something out of the movies.

But, it's never been as accurate as even my CZs, which cost much less than this. I'm fine with looks, but if a rifle isn't as accurate as my expectations, it can be a bummer.

Was so bummed the last time I shot it, I took the scope off, cleaned it and put it in the back of the safe. Hasn't been out since.

But, decided I'll either figure it out, or sell it dirt cheap. Hate to do the ladder... I'll play with it some more to make sure of what I'm seeing, and if it's the problem I'll bed it. If not, I may just give up and sell it to someone who can enjoy it. No matter how nice the rifle looks, I don't like to shoot rifles that aren't accurate. Have too many that shoot great to mess with something that doesn't.

Now, that being said, it's not a dog. But it's not what I expected from an Anschutz barreled action rifle.

Will update after next range trip.

Kenny

#53 ·
Also glad to hear your getting some excellent results. So from your description I'm wondering how much support the action is receiving? There's some sort of marker I think some specially made or maybe some chalk rubbed near the lower half of action/barrel junction area (on the stock in-letting) and then seeing what would transfer to the metal? (Only a thought). Curious if such a transfer of marking material would differ from a gun that was a shooter from the start? Sounds like it would from the results you got by supporting this area better.

The one hole group sounds impressive. :bthumb:

#54 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking about ordering some from Brownells with my next order. It would give me a start on seeing what's touching, what's not, etc.

Thanks but when I said one one, I didn't mean a perfect 5 shot group. I meant 5 shots very close to form a one hole group. I'm not that good a shot to shoot all 5 into the same hole...

But it has shown progress. We'll see.

Kenny

#56 ·
I got it, I got it!!!!! Yippeee!

Finally got this thing figured out. The problems are in the action area. It needs bedding badly, but got it to where it actually is fun to shoot.

Shot 36 five shot groups this morning with a few different ammo types and a little more tweaking. The action screw torque being a pound or two off can throw them everywhere. But I found the sweet spots and added a little more rubber tubing in front of the action. It's not one hole accurate but the largest group I shot was just under 7/8 inch. The smallest is 5/16. This includes all groups shot while adjusting things. It really settled down once I got the right amount of rubber under the rear of the barrel and the action screws just right.

It averaged right at 1/2 inch over the last 6 groups with SK pistol match, which it seems to like more than Wolf MT and SK Rifle Match. Never got to shoot anything better than that. But I will...

Am going to try again with Eley ammo to see what it would do with that. It should do pretty well as all of my rifles like Eley ammo better than the Wolf, SK and Lapua stuff. Don't know why, but just seems that way. Don't know if I'll bed it or sell it, but at least I know it can shoot. It really is pretty, and now it's as accurate as my CZ American that I got to replace it.

Thanks for all the help... I'm pretty happy this evening.

Got a Mossberg 144LSB that has been a pain finally straightened out, got this figured out and got to shoot my Model 3 and 4 Brno (they didn't need anything done to make them shoot:))... Not too bad of a day if you ask me.

Kenny

#58 ·
My Mark XXII

I've owned the Mark XXII bolt action rifle since 2009. The accuracy is bad. At first I thought it was me until I switched to my Kimber 22. My Weatherby is a beautiful rifle, but the truth of it is that I don't even want it in my gun safe anymore. It's been sitting in there for years and is one of the most beautiful guns I own. I don't know what is wrong with it, but I'm about ready to just send it back to Kimber. I see that they don't even sell a .22 anymore. I doubt that I'll ever shoot it again.

#65 ·
I've owned the Mark XXII bolt action rifle since 2009. The accuracy is bad. At first I thought it was me until I switched to my Kimber 22. My Weatherby is a beautiful rifle, but the truth of it is that I don't even want it in my gun safe anymore. It's been sitting in there for years and is one of the most beautiful guns I own. I don't know what is wrong with it, but I'm about ready to just send it back to Kimber. I see that they don't even sell a .22 anymore. I doubt that I'll ever shoot it again.
Why would you send your Weatherby back to Kimber?

#61 ·
My Mark XXII

Never found the box. A gunsmith told me to bring it in and they'd diagnose and fix it for me. I'd probably have to go that route regardless what the test target revealed. I've owned the gun 11 years and it's just been taking up space in my safe. Time to deal with it.

#62 ·
My 2007 version was disappointing at first regarding accuracy. Until I realized the action screw was loose. It shot as I expected after that, although I can't shoot it as well as the test target indicates. It shoots neck & neck with my CZ 452 American, with a slight edge to the XXII, but not quite as well as my CZ 452 Full Stock. I was upset with that at first, after all, it is an Anschutz, but then I had a Glimpse of the Blindingly Obvious and realized I had not one but three rifles that shot very, very well in my hands. The only downside is that the XXII cost about the same as both CZs combined. But neither can match its looks.

#71 ·
I guess Im really confused. The Wby 22 I had in mind is a semi auto (auto as Diane/ Chuckie would say) but they came in a 'carry case' and had a very small stock. they also came in 4 or 5 grades. The best were FANCY and looked great. I only handled one once in about 1966.

What model am thinking?

#72 ·
What you are thinking of was a Browning SA-22. You are correct they came (still made yet today) in grades from 1 to 6. They are a take-down gun and there was an optional carry case for them. They have some following hence why Browning still has them in the catalog. I'm sure you can find a very good used one. I'm not all sure what they offer today for grades, case etc.

As for Weatherby they made a semi-auto in the late 60's into the 70's. But that was a full rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.