Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

22LR Availability keeps improving

4K views 30 replies 28 participants last post by  Racer88 
#1 ·
Was in my local Academy a couple of days ago and noticed they had quite a supply and variety of 22LR ammo. Don't recall all of the brands but they did have at least 3 flavors of CCI, Winchester, Remington in bulk packs, Aquila, Federal (2 or 3 flavors), and possibly a couple others.

AND all of these had been moved out to a shelf on the sales floor and prices were very reasonable.

Looks like at least in this area no one is hoarding anymore and buying everything on the shelf.

Still not seeing much if any in the local Walmart store but don't go there very often. Last time I was there, they did have a huge supply of shotshells.

#2 ·
I notice same thing

I'm seeing for the first time in LA, in a Walmart, a box of 100 Winchester Super X 40 gr. hollow point copper plated 1,280 fps for .07 per round, not including taxes.

I was never a hoarder but for my convenience, I would always buy around 10k-15k at a time because I would always introduce new shooters with .22LR and I provided the ammo the first time. Also for my kids. At that time, maybe 5-6 years ago maybe, cost was .03 per round and there was not an ammo shortage so it was easy to spend a couple hundred. Then there was a dry spell of very few range visits and I'm still lucky enough to have just over 7k rounds of the CCI Blazer bricks .03 cents as well some Mini Mags which we're probably around .05 per round.

At some point I stopped using my .03 per round surplus and would just buy a brick or two at .10 cents per round to use. We will probably never see .03 per round again but hopefully, we will see .04 -.05 per round.

#5 ·
I'm sure there were plenty of suppliers hoarding 22 ammo in anticipation of the outcome of the Presidential election.
I'm sure they were surprised by the outcome, which lowered the "panic" demand. I'm not buying any 22 ammo unless I get a good deal since I think the prices will come down to pre Sandy Hook prices, plus inflation.

#7 ·
My local Gander Mountain put most of the 22LR out on the floor with no limits 3 or 4 months ago.

They are still not putting the Mini Mags out though for some strange reason. A few weeks ago I watched them bring out 2 boxes from the back for a customer, and when I walked over and said I will take a couple of boxes too, they said they did not have any more. So it looks like they are selling it to people they know or pretty regular customers. I am sure the employees get first dibs on CCI ammo too. But they had plenty of Fed. AE for $2.99/per 50, AutoMatch & Remington GB's on the shelves out on the floor. It was funny watching people take 3 boxes only, because they have been used to limits the past 4 years, even though there were no signs of any limits.

#20 ·
My local Gander Mountain put most of the 22LR out on the floor with no limits 3 or 4 months ago.

They are still not putting the Mini Mags out though for some strange reason. A few weeks ago I watched them bring out 2 boxes from the back for a customer, and when I walked over and said I will take a couple of boxes too, they said they did not have any more. So it looks like they are selling it to people they know or pretty regular customers. I am sure the employees get first dibs on CCI ammo too. But they had plenty of Fed. AE for $2.99/per 50, AutoMatch & Remington GB's on the shelves out on the floor. It was funny watching people take 3 boxes only, because they have been used to limits the past 4 years, even though there were no signs of any limits.
Could have been an online order.

Since they've had minimags on sale the last week and half or so, I've been buying 2 or 3 boxes every few days and having it shipped to the store. It's free and usually gets to be store in 3 days for me (VA)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I've got an obscene supply, but using ammo store stocks as an indicator of "normal" and it ain't here yet.

Not much of a selection here. Mostly match ammo or Remington junk. Occaisional Auto Match or Mini-Mags. I was seeing better ammo before Thanksgiving than I've seen since.

Still no Champion or American Eagle bricks, no Value Packs. Local big boxes still only getting a few cases a week, like factories have cut output. Since election, shelves should be full....:confused:

#9 · (Edited)
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

https://www.ammomenllc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=69&cPath=3#xml

Shop 'till ya drop.

Search the net for Norma TAC IF you want really good, affordable ammo.

If just making tin cans roll while making noise any .22 ammo will do.

I still have 1500 rounds of Norma TAC 40 grain solid.
Want hollow points? Get a hollow point tool.
Easy to make up 50 or 100 TAC rounds for hunting small game.
My tricked out Ruger 10-22 will shoot about any ammo well.
Even Remington.
Ruger = Kidd trigger, V.Q. barrel, etc.

#11 ·
Last time
Only a WM and GanderMt here. GM has boodles of RWS and CCI-SV and a couple others of less quantity since before Christmas. Last trip a guy I knew was eyeballing cf ammo and turned to leave. I asked him if he checked out the rf so he went back to that aisle and it was fun to watch his reaction when he saw it and how much. :)

#13 ·
I went to a local gunshop last weekend and he had 6 boxes of Mini Mags 40grn on the counter. $6.99 a box. Asked him if there was a limit. He said no so I thought I would take 5 of them. I paused for a moment and asked if that was all he had. He said no he had a lot more. I asked if I could get 2 bricks and he said sure. When he was putting them in the box he said I can do you a little better than that. He grabbed a piece of paper and wrote 10 @ 6.49 and signed his name and told me to give to the girl up front. I though for a moment and asked if I could get 3. He laughed and said sure then changed the 10 to a 15. $105.81 out door for 3 bricks of Mini Mags. Made my day for sure.:bthumb:

#16 · (Edited)
This weekend at a regional outdoor show a local sporting goods chain was selling Federal Automatch 325 round bulk pack boxes for $18. That pencils out to $2.77 for lets say a box of 50. Being sold off a full pallet. Didn't count how many cases were on a pallet but it was a lot. I personally saw two pallets and the rep said he had three more on the truck. It was selling fast. This was the most 22 ammo I've ever seen in one spot.

#18 ·
Went to Cabelas in Tualatin Oregon yesterday. The had plenty of .22 lr ammo. They had a top shelf nearly full of Winchester 100 packs of 40 grain / 1300 feet per second ammo at $8.50 per box. I believe there is no more limits for .22 lr as well.

It was not all that long ago the only .22 lr ammo you would see at Cabelas was 50 rds boxes of super match ammo for $22 for one box of 50 rounds, surely not plinking ammo at that price, but that all you could find.....

#19 ·
I guess it's the area you live in. I was in the closest Academy about three weeks ago and they had a meager supply but no limit. The price was high. I stopped by the LGS a week ago just to chew the fat with the owner as we are old friends. His shelf was empty and he said he hadn't been able to get anything this year.

I'm not hurting for 22 ammo as I've picked up some here and there and got to shoot very little of it last year. I'm hoping for the shooting situation to improve this year.

#21 ·
Still hardly any 22 around here?, all Cabelas in Springfield had earlier this week was the stupid expensive ELEY and NORMA?, BiMart had some of that Federal Auto Match GARBAGE this week, but their getting twice what it's worth, $19 for 325rnds of JUNK plinking ammo!??
17HMR is still all you can haulaway!??, makes a guy ponder getting one so he can shoot?

#24 ·
Folsom CA Walmart had .22 on the shelves. I look about every 4-6 weeks when I'm there for motor oil, so I'm hardly a barometer of the way things are.

Dept manager said they had stopped getting stock for .22 since about 18 months ago, but were alerted they would be getting regular resupply.

Always had .380, .44, 45acp, 9mm, .223 and 5.56 and most hunting calibers, but never .22. Maybe it's getting better here. Hope so.

#27 ·
Yesterday I bought 1 K rounds of CCI SV for 80 bux plus tax. Not exactly cheap, but I got happy.
It was on sale and 1 buck per 100 cheaper on the weekend. Missed that. Oh well. To top this off, I also got a pound of Bullseye !!!!! Haven't seen that in a store in years... Did all this at Gander Mountain in Warrington Pa. Mike

#30 ·
Picked up a brick of Federal Champion 40gr RN today for $24.70, including tax, at Walmart. First time I have seen it at Walmart in 5 years. I asked the clerk how many bricks they had come in and she said "just the one". Right place at the right time I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.