Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

what have I purchased?

965 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tim slater 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a 54 Match rifle thru Gunbroker. Could someone tell me what the model number is?
What was it's primary competition use?
click here
Thanks in advance!
Chris

#2 ·
"WEST GERMAN ANSCHUTZ MOD. 54 MATCH IN .22LR.
ANSCHUT DIOPTER SIGHT, MIRROR BRIGHT BORE. STOCK
WITH UIT RAIL. STOCK WITH REPAIR TO THE PISTOL GRIP.
OAL=1130MM, BARREL=635MM, LOP=345MM, WEIGHT=4.55KG.
ADD THIS CLASSIC RIFLE TO YOUR COLLECTION."

No expert on Anschutz, but it appears to be a 1407 or 1607 considering the X in the SN. It is setup for iron "peep" sights which are fun and challenging to shoot.

The stock, if it was repaired correctly, should not be a issue as far as shooting it goes. It was the reason you got it for a good price IMO. Enjoy it, 54s are great shooters.

#3 ·
No expert on Anschutz, but it appears to be a 1407 or 1607 considering the X in the SN. It is setup for iron "peep" sights which are fun and challenging to shoot.

The stock, if it was repaired correctly, should not be a issue as far as shooting it goes. It was the reason you got it for a good price IMO. Enjoy it, 54s are great shooters.
I was thinking either 1407 or 1607. Aware of the wrist repair may reinforce it with a wooden dowel. I bought it as a shooter, I will probably mount a scope, my eyes are 70 years old.

Thanks!
Chris

#5 ·
match 54

The rifle you bought is an Anschutz "standard rifle". The stock was made as a compromise for three position shooting. It would have been used at world cup levels by ladies and juniors. Men fired free rifles in those days. The small bore "standard rifle" is a thing of the past, but the barreled action is still competitive locally. The bolt makes it look like a 1607 (due to the "X"). The pistol grip may already have been repaired properly. If your eyes are old, a less expensive cure might simply be to get a pair of shooting glasses with the right corrective lens.

#6 · (Edited)
It's a 1607 made in 1980, so quite a late one. Stephen Maly is correct that it's a Standard rifle, a basic 3 position rifle. However it was not designed for women and Juniors, that came later. Originally it was seen as a cheaper and simpler option to encourage new shooters to take up the sport. 0.22 Standard Rifle was a men's event too at the World Championships until 1974. I don't think that Women were restricted to Standard Rifles until the 1980s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.