Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Cycling subsonic ammo reliably while supressed.

7K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  22 Whisper 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any experience running subsonic ammo in their suppressed M4-22?

I only just picked one up recently, fired enough to get sighted in and then took it to an Appleseed event. I feel I could have scored distinguished if I wasn't fighting with failures. I think most came from the bolt not fully cycling which caused failures in stripping rounds from the mag.

I was running Remington Subsonic ammo at the time just because I had a case of it.

I'm picking up some Eley semi-auto stuff to try and see if I have better results.

#2 ·
I have reliability problems with Remington sub-sonic in my Tippmann and S&W 15-22 as well. When I shoot either of these suppressed I will run CCI Standard velocity with great results. Depending on the day, 99% of the stay sub-sonic with only the occasional bullet crack.

#3 ·
When I shoot either of these suppressed I will run CCI Standard velocity with great results. Depending on the day, 99% of the stay sub-sonic with only the occasional bullet crack.
Same here, I've not had any fail to cycle malfunctions with CCI Standard and it's quiet. Speed of sound = 1125.33fps, CCI Standard = 1070fps.

I don't hunt but run a suppressor so I can shoot without hearing protection; I don't understand why ammunition marked 'sub-sonic' appears to be (in the UK) so much more expensive than 'standard', is it the same in the US?

#6 ·
no issues cycling with my sandman-s so far. actually wasn't that easy finding subsonic ammo....most i tried was still making a crack: aguila, norma tac22, armscor

finally someone put me onto cci standard velocity tho and thats been great for sound reduction. but again no issues cycling

#8 ·
I had almost the exact same problem when I first picked up my Pro. The only .22 the shop had was CCI subs, and I would occasionally get misfeeds. I shot through the box of 100 and had probably 4 or 5 misfeeds, some of which sheared the tip of the bullet, some of which heavily bent the cartridge case.

Either way, once I shot through all of that ammo, I've been running CCI mini mag, Remington Thunderbolt, and Federal HV copper plated HP. Not had a single malfunction since. If I find subs again, I might pick them up and see if they run now that I've "broken in" the gun, or if they still FTF.

#9 ·
About the only thing you can do to improve semiauto suppressed subsonic cycling is use SV ammo or heavy slower ammo ie Aguila SSS, and keep your bolt polished and lightly lubricated in thin oil. While I have heard video comments on suppressed gas blowback with the TME, I have not experienced it, nor any issues in cycling. I did break the gun in mildly by starting with a full mag of minimags. I do not shoot crap ammo in anything but a revolver or a bolt action. Not worth the jams or powder spitting.

#10 ·
I had a similar issue. Not sure how old your is but I called tippmann arms and after trying somethings they suggested I got an email number and sent it back to them. They pretty much rebuilt my rifle for me at no cost. Might be worth a phone call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I just blew threw 100 rounds of CCI QUIET 835 fps in my suppressed M4 rifle without any malfunctions.
I've been using Otis dry lube on everything even the mags.

It also will cycle 60 grain 950 fps Aguila super subsonic but you really need a 1:9 twist barrel to shoot those accurately at distances of more than 25 yards.

Give Tippmann some time and I'll bet they come out with many more accessories.

I for one would like to have a 1:9 twist barrel for mine.

#13 ·
Are you sure those were CCI Quiets and not CCI Subsonics? I've never seen any semiauto .22lr firearm handle CCI Quiets and cycle them. Especially a stock Tippmann. I shoot Quiets through mine and cycle the bolt manually, purely for fun.

Anyways OP -- I almost exclusively shoot my M4-22 Micro Elite suppressed. With the stock trigger + springs, it would 50/50 cycle CCI Subsonics. Standards worked 95% of the time. In order to fix this, I swapped the heavy stock trigger out for an ALG Advanced Combat Trigger + JP Enterprises Reduced Power Spring Kit (3.5 lbs). This allows the bolt to cycle slightly faster with all ammo types as the heavy trigger spring doesn't force it against the bolt. I've had 100% reliability with this combination and the trigger pull is absolutley amazing. Drop in and play!

Here's where I got mine:

https://www.primaryarms.com/jp-ente...lb-4-5lb-jps3-5?quantity=1&custcol_pco=Orphan

https://www.primaryarms.com/alg-defense-combat-trigger-act?quantity=1&custcol_pco=Orphan

It's honestly been the best upgrade I've made on the M4-22.

#14 ·
I glimmer of hope is my last range trip I was able to find some CCI "Semi-auto" quiets and while I didn't get 100% cycling they did show that after firing the first 3 roiunds single and manually cycle the round, I then was actually able to get binary full cycling. Very strange observation, not sure how or why this is happening.

I'm also observing that with my Dead Air Mask HD I am getting gassed in the face MAJOR !

#15 ·
I glimmer of hope is my last range trip I was able to find some CCI "Semi-auto" quiets and while I didn't get 100% cycling they did show that after firing the first 3 roiunds single and manually cycle the round, I then was actually able to get binary full cycling. Very strange observation, not sure how or why this is happening.

I'm also observing that with my Dead Air Mask HD I am getting gassed in the face MAJOR !
Are you shooting at an indoor range? I don't think I've ever gotten gassed by my Mask -- but I only ever shoot outside.

#19 ·
Hi team, since the Tippmann bugout has a compact bolt-carrier group with a pair of springs, I wondered if removing one of the springs would allow it to reliably cycle CCI Quiets?

I got the idea from the internet saying the AR-7 can reliably cycle quiet ammo if you remove one of its two action springs. Maybe the same strategery will work for the Tippman bug-out? Remove one of the two springs and maybe it can cycle quiets?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.