RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Stevens 32 long and 25 stevens
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I was interested in the same, but what I really wanted was a light, trim, well balanced rifle as in the classic British 'rook and rabbit' rifles. The H&R is clubby, a full sized rifle and shotgun frame. Way back they had a smaller frame 410 that would be much better; Ive been looking for one to do a barrel stub job on for about 15yrs with no joy.
I do have several of the 'modern' H&R's (no longer made/gone under for good), they didnt make a 32 S&WLong or H&R Mag or 32-20 though 357Mag is a surprise, but heavy. If they would have made a 32 it would have been also.
My H&R '32' has turned out to be an older Mdl 63 'Mustang' in 30-30 handloaded down to 32-20 equiv. loads in cast lead or jacketed. Iirc they also made a similar Mdl 58(?), think the 63 was a 'deluxe' version. They were also offered in 22Hornet and could be had with either a 410 or 20ga. barrel to swap out. I have a 410 but wish it was a 20.
Back to the 1915 Fav., they were the last, best and strongest of the Favorites, yet, afaik, were not offered in a CF, 22, 25 and 32 Rf. The 32RF was a puny loading, but far more effective at typical open sight distance for small to med. game than a 22LR. As mentioned, akin to the British rook and rabbit cartridges. The 32 Colts short and longs in CF that should fit well were for their small pocket revolvers and only a slight 'improvement' in ballistics. Fme the factory loads tested were the same velo in short or long, there isnt much room under the heeled bullet for powder. As is typical with small, short cases the pressures will stack very quickly with modern smokeless powder; 1/10th of a grain too much can be too much (look up info on such in the 32acp reloads).
If you do end up finding that 32 Colts Shorts fit and you can find some cases and want to reload do so with caution. Stick to revolver loads (for the old, weak revolvers) and lighter end of bullet weights. Dont try to make a home-brew mini-magnum! Ive seen a breech block of a successful 1915 conversion split from just going up 'a smidge'. The rear of the swinging breech block is Not Well Supported to withstand higher pressures even though they look somewhat like the true 'falling blocks'.
With the light loads sizing dies are not required, just take the fully fire-formed to the chamber cases, decap, recap, throw a sneeze of powder and seat the lubed lead bullet by hand; load and shoot. But you have to find cases and the proper heeled bullets or a mould to cast your own.
So, as cool as these rifles are in 25 and 32, fme they are at their best in 22LR.