Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Removing a tight barrel the easy way (big pics)

77K views 71 replies 57 participants last post by  cturner0223 
#1 · (Edited)
Ever had a really tight-fitting barrel that didn't want to come back out of the receiver? I have. This time it's a Volquartsen that I installed with a mallet. I wanted to fix the beat-up finish on the receiver so I needed to separate the barrel from the receiver.

I decided to build a fixture that I could put the barreled action into, and press the barrel out instead of trying to push the receiver off the barrel with a mallet. It's simple, and works pretty well.

You need:
  • two 1x1 pieces of wood, one about 2" long and the other about a foot
  • a short length of 5/8" dowel
  • a flat piece of wood - I used a 1x4, a 2x4 would work too
  • a 1/4" x 2" plank
  • a 5" C-clamp

First thing to do is drill a 1" hole in the 1x4. This is for the barrel. You'll need to elongate the hole so the receiver block can fit through it as well. Position the 1/4" thick piece next to the hole so the receiver "foot" is supported, and fasten it down so it doesn't move. It ends up looking like this:

Here you can see how the barreled action fits, and how the 1/4" thick piece supports the "foot" of the receiver:

Next step is to cut a piece of 5/8" dowel to about 1 1/2". This is the part that contacts the breech and pushes the barrel out. Set it on top of the breech. Make sure it's centered pretty well, otherwise it will catch on the receiver as the barrel pushes out. If you wanted to get fancy you could put a pilot on the dowel to keep it centered on the barrel.

Now you need two pieces of 1x1, a long one and a short one. The long one is the lever of the press, and the short one is the fulcrum. The lengths aren't really critical. Arrange them as shown here:

Now, you can crank down with the C-clamp and as you do, the lever will put pressure on the dowel, which will in turn push the barrel out. Just be careful not to let the barrel hit the floor when it comes out!

In my setup the lever started bending but didn't break. I guess you could substitute 1" square steel tubing if the wood isn't strong enough.

See less See more
#3 ·
Matt-man,

This is a great idea. I had a tight factory barrel that I had trouble removing earlier today and was not sure if I should twist it. It moved forward a little so I soaked it in oil and moved it back and forth a little hoping the oil would penetrate, and then let it sit about 20 minutes. When I tried again, it came out without too much tugging. Seems the receiver had some overspray from when it was painted. I think I'll make one of your barel removers soon.

Fan of 22s
:)

#5 ·
10/22 Bolt to Remove Barrels

`

Most times, just using the 10/22's Bolt will remove a stuck barrel:

With the rifle UNLOADED, and the magazine REMOVED, pull the Bolt to the rear, and then allow it to slam forward; repeat as required until the barrel is loose......! ! :cool:

`

BigMike

#30 · (Edited)
`

With the rifle UNLOADED, and the magazine REMOVED, pull the Bolt to the rear, and then allow it to slam forward; repeat as required until the barrel is loose......! ! :cool:

`

BigMike
:yeahthat: It has always worked for me.:bthumb:Good idea building that jig,I'm going to try that on my next barrel removal.Thanks for sharing.

#7 ·
BigMike said:

With the rifle UNLOADED, and the magazine REMOVED, pull the Bolt to the rear, and then allow it to slam forward; repeat as required until the barrel is loose......! !
Yeah, this is a good thing to try first. This one, however, was not going anywhere, so I had to try something else.

#15 ·
I've been trolling out here as a non member for a little while. I just had to join up after finding this post. I had to use this technique and it worked like a charm. Two turns of the C clamp and the barrle shot right out. Wonderful idea and thanks so much for sharing.:bthumb:

#19 ·
I'll be DANGED.....!

I want to kick myself in the butt for not thinking up this idea myself... so simple, nicely illustrated, what an idea...... many will be thinking of you sometime in the future. This is the kind of stuff that is handy and usefull and doesn't cost a arm and a leg. I salute you and your ideas.

#21 · (Edited)
Whoa MoMMA....... That WORKS

Couldn't wait any longer, I had to try it with my stuck barrel. Jez, so simple, so easy, so detailed, works like a charm. I just built mine to push a barrel out I had been worrying about. I use a syringe with Marvel Mystery oil and a needle for cattle or hogs to lubricate and get to them hard to get at places places. I did this and used my syringe with penetrating oil while I looked for some square stock for my lever. Couldn't find anything wood on my property so I used a piece of aluminum square tubing wrapped in leather inside the receiver and on top the dow rod. After it broke loose it pushed right out......... NO PROBLEM. Thank You....... this is what makes RimFire Central such a great place. Everyone shares their "tips and tricks" and makes life easier for others. I tip my hat to you man....... Thanks........! :bthumb:

#22 ·
Also do not forget your freezer

Matt that is a wonderful, helpful post that belongs in the records. Thank you!!!
Also folks do not forget your freezer.
I have changed many 10/22 barrels and have had problems with the tight ones.
The solution I have found always works is to put the stuck barreled receiver in my chest freezer overnight. In the morning, take it to your work bench and clamp the barrel with the receiver free. Most times as the receiver warms it will slip right off the barrel with minimal effort. If it is still tight, heat the receiver in warm water and it will expand and release the tight grip on the cold shrunken barrel.
Just remember the aluminum receiver will expand with heat more rapidly than the steel of the cold barrel. Simple physics.

Merry Christmas, nrb

#26 ·
Matt that is a wonderful, helpful post that belongs in the records. Thank you!!!
Also folks do not forget your freezer.
I have changed many 10/22 barrels and have had problems with the tight ones.
The solution I have found always works is to put the stuck barreled receiver in my chest freezer overnight. In the morning, take it to your work bench and clamp the barrel with the receiver free. Most times as the receiver warms it will slip right off the barrel with minimal effort. If it is still tight, heat the receiver in warm water and it will expand and release the tight grip on the cold shrunken barrel.
Just remember the aluminum receiver will expand with heat more rapidly than the steel of the cold barrel. Simple physics.

Merry Christmas, nrb
Hey NRB have you or anyone ever tried this reversed ? I'm going to be putting a Volquartsen barrel on instead of taking it off. The beginning thread worked like a charm, then I read this. I'm thinking why can't I put the VQ THM barrel in the freeze overnight and do a quick assembly in the morning. Will that work. I'm reading all I can in installing the VQ barrels.

#23 ·
Removing A Stuck Barrel

Matt,

Thanks for the great Post describing "How To" Remove a Stuck Barrel. The pictures are particularly appreciated. I think your suggestion should be placed as a "STICKY" because in the event that other methods fail, your detailed description and photographs will surely succeed in helping someone remove a stuck barrel.

#28 ·
The first one was. It was a new barrel on a new receiver. Then I had a change of plans, used this setup described in this thread and the barrel slid out very nicely and it will be replace with Volquartsen Barrel (which has not arrived yet, so I don't know if the 2nd barrel will be tight) but the first one was. I was just trying to line up all my ducks in a row and know their names before the Volquartsen Barrel got here (worrying in advance, that's me)...... so the answer is yes the first VQ barrel was very tight and I don't know but assume this one will be too. I was just wondering about the freezer deal about reversing and maybe heating the receiver by laying it on top of coffee pot on in oven over LOW and getting them together without much problem...