Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Stock 148 Benchrest

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Shamokinbob 
#1 · (Edited)
I just about forgot to take pictures of this stock I've been working on. Maybe one of you guys can tell me what wood this is. I'm sure its not walnut. It seems to be heavier and more dense.
The stock will have a raised cheek and the action is pillared. This stock is strictly for a right hand shooter. A lefty can shoot it, but won't be as comfortable in the grip.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi ibjennings,

Need a little more information.

Where did the blank come from?
Is it stained or oiled with something that has changed its color?

On a wood buying trip to Oregon I got a straight grained Oregon Walnut blank that looked similar to this. The sap wood is what I would expect from Walnut. But you say it is too heavy for Walnut.

There are so many exotic woods from South America, Japan, Hawaii and Africa that it is a hard to say. If we knew where it came from it would really help.

Frank

#3 ·
Hi ibjennings,

Need a little more information.

Where did the blank come from?
Is it stained or oiled with something that has changed its color?

On a wood buying trip to Oregon I got a straight grained Oregon Walnut blank that looked similar to this. The sap wood is what I would expect from Walnut. But you say it is too heavy for Walnut.

There are so many exotic woods from South America, Japan, Hawaii and Africa that it is a hard to say. If we knew where it came from it would really help.

Frank
Hi Frank
I can't tell you much about the wood. This is the fourth stock I've built from this wood. When you drill a hole in it, the wood will stick in the bit and have to be picked out. Kinda oily.
I'm using a lacquer for the finish.
Larry

#6 ·
I work with a man who grades wood for a saw mill in the evenings. I showed him a pic of 133 and he said from what he could tell in the pic it looked like walnut to him. He said he could tell for sure if he could see the inlet area without a finish.

Also a couple people I compete in BR with say it's walnut.

#7 ·
I work with a man who grades wood for a saw mill in the evenings. I showed him a pic of 133 and he said from what he could tell in the pic it looked like walnut to him. He said he could tell for sure if he could see the inlet area without a finish.

Also a couple people I compete in BR with say it's walnut.
If it is, it's not like walnut I've worked before. It will also clog up a sanding belt really fast.
Larry

#8 ·
I finished the stock. The finish is lacquer. This is not a walnut stock, the nosecap is maple. LOP is 13 3/4 and the forearm is a little less than 3 inches wide. A lefty can grip this stock fairly well, but its built for a right hand shooter. This stock is pillared and has an adjustable cheek. Here's a few pictures, sorry for the quality of the images.
Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.