RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Help me decide on a red dot
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 PM
SerenityNetworks
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Help me decide on a red dot

I've been looking at getting a red dot for an AR platform (a .22 and or a .223/5.56). If it's on a .22 it will be for plinking, not hunting. If on a .223 it will be for hogs and plinking. I have limited experience with red dots, so I'd appreciate some input. I definitely want one with a dot no larger than 3 MOA. I do want some degree of accuracy, even on a tactical platform. I'm not overly concerned with how flip up sights are accommodated. I would prefer 0.25 MOA adjustments, but I can live with 0.5. I need to check on the adjustment level for each of these. The following have caught my eye, have good reviews that I've seen, so I'm looking for information/considerations that will help me make up my mind.

HOLOSUN HS403A Micro Red Dot Sight (2 MOA) with AR Riser $160. Lower 1/3 height mount. Good price point and solid reviews.

HOLOSUN Infiniti Red Dot Sight and Laser Sight $199. Hmmm. Sight and laser at the same price point as the Sparc II. Hmmm.

Vortex SPARC AR Red Dot Rifle Scope $185. A decent price point and I LOVE Vortex. But I can't really take it off and put it on a non-AR platform.

Vortex Optics Sparc II 2 MOA Red Dot Sight (SPC-402) $200. Pricey for me. But I love Vortex. Still, if I'm going to spend $200 then why not go with the Holosun and get a laser included?

Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight Riflescope $74! 3 MOA, but still it's only $74! Click value definitely 0.5. Solid reviews and a butt load have been sold.

So I'm torn. I love Vortex, but I can get either a Holosun with a laser for the same price, or a plain 2 MOA dot for $40 less. Or I can go for $125 less and get the Bushnell. Even with the coarser 3 MOA dot and possibly wanting to pick up a riser, I'm finding it hard to justify something more expensive than the Bushnell. And yes, I know you get what you pay for; still...

Help!

Thanks in advance,
Andrew