RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Mirrorless cameras
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 05:43 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been studying on this whole thing for a couple of months now. Just when I decide I'm going to get the Canon 80D with the three exact lenses that I want.......mirrorless pops up. Even the professionals are debating this. Some say DSLRs will never be replaced.....others say they are already on their way out. I'm pretty sure that for most of our needs.....even those that make their living with a camera......either format can work fine.

Gotta have that through the lens view that only a DSLR offers......we then, why are all the top of the line DSLRs coming with screens. Screens....allow you to see exactly what your picture will look like....no surprises when you download and they have very fast touch adjustments. As far as speed of focus...the DSLRs are on top but not by much.....while the mirrorless cameras excel at video including this mysterious 4K....which I'm not sure what you watch that on to begin with. Then there is a wider variety of lenses for DSLRs and they offer full frame sensors.....yet a crop sensor model seems to be on equal footing picture quality wise unless you are blowing the pictures up to 8'. And....full frame mirrorless are cropping up everywhere....but, cropped sensors give you a bonus multiplication factor for your lenses....which make a 100mm lense effectively a 150mm lense and on and on and on. It's enough to make you pull your hair out.

Which is why I haven't been able to make up my mind yet. These things have gotten down to which Ruger MK series pistol outperforms the other MK pistols???

I'm down to the Canon 80D with a 50mm F1.4 for my prime, small, carry around lense. A 16mm to 35mm F 1.4 and then a mild telephoto up to say 200mm. All good lenses. This will run about $3500 I expect.......or.......the smaller Sony A7,II, S, R......A series full frame mirrorless cameras that run from $1200 to $3000 for the body. Again a very adequate supply of lenses exist that duplicate the ones I want for the Canon. The Sony is 1/2 the size of the Canon......but when you start slapping on big telephotos....these smaller cameras are no longer small. The A series are full frame, have an electronic viewfinder and screen of course.......

Just when I'm almost persuaded that is what I want.....the $600, 6000 or 7000 or whatever it is Sony series which has the next step down in size sensor, is an even smaller camera, has a pretty wide selection of exceptional lenses, gives you the advantage of longer focal length for any given MM telephoto.....well, I'm stuck.

OK, the $600 camera does not have five or even three axis stabilization....whatever that is....and I don't know if I really need it. All offer stabilization in the body or the lens.....all you have to do is be willing to pay for it. I don't have any existing lenses to worry about. The Sony has a lot of focus points....not as many as some of the high end DSLRs.....but, how many is enough?

I'm not to sure the guy with the good point and shoot isn't ahead of us all.....you sure won't take any pictures if you don't have your camera with you......and all of those adjustments.....that is going to take a good deal of time for me to benefit from them...DSLR or mirrorless. I did look at a $1000 Nikon point and shoot....oh man. DSLR, large and easy to hold, point and shoot....the mirrorless, not quite as good of a grip...but not bad. Good luck with it.....I'm going to get something.....soon. 1917