Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

No more cash?

4K views 83 replies 43 participants last post by  comfisherman 
#1 ·
A few days ago, I discovered a place that absolutely would not take cash green money, only credit cards. Took my wife to the Yuma AZ airport to catch a flight out, went to exit the parking lot, machine that controlled the exit gate would only take credit cards, no cash at all. If you dont have a credit card, you aint gettin' out of that parking lot. First time I have encountered something like this. :eek:

So, the City of Yuma had to pay Visa $3.00 to process my $1.00 fee to get out of the parking lot ?

#35 ·
Ah, yes. "Plastic" money. This is all going to backfire on us someday, and I'll be one of the first to say "I told you so".

This idea of allowing computers to anonymously move our funds around amounts to something akin to insanity. We can already see where identities are stolen, and the victims have to spend years setting things straight. Just wait until the thieves get more sophisticated, and the technology gets more anonymous.

Thinking the credit companies forgive you for debts incurred through identity theft is a lie. They might forgive YOU, but they don't eat the financial transfer either. The costs get spread around to all their clients, forcing all of us to pay for the thief's actions.

As for me, I'll stick to paper and checks, and not allow third parties access to my financial accounts, thank you.

Let this post be my warning to you.....Roger

#39 ·
And this morning I signed up for EZ Pass. To visit family in PA the turnpike is by far the best way to go. I believe the PA turnpike is now privately owned and it's planned to be cashless.:mad: On a positive note at least right now the EZ Pass rates are lower than cash. For now anyway.

#40 ·
I’ve had EZPASS since 1992 when the NY state thruway authority first issued it. Sometimes I still can’t believe I see people sitting in long toll lines waiting to pay cash, even at a premium. Talk about ignorance. My Prius gets a green tag for even more savings. In addition to less gas and carbon idling in line.

#54 ·
If we get rid of pennies, we will have no cents at all...
I wish they'd do away with ALL coins. Just round to the nearest dollar.

I have to work to earn the money that turns into coins, then work for them AGAIN by storing, sorting, rolling and lugging them to the bank. Never tried one of the machines that you dump your change into and it spits out bills, but I'm tempted. Might be worth the fee they charge.

I used to have one of those sorting/rolling machines but it jammed more often than Remington ammo in a dirty .22 auto.

#49 ·
Seen counterfeit money before. A company I used to work for had machines in all the Federal Reserve Banks that sorted and checked for counterfeit "notes" then shredded the counterfeits. Was at a chain liquor store picking up an order for a catering job my mom did. This buy walks in with a $20 that was pasted over a $1 bill. They caught him when he went to pay. The guy tried to dash out but I was about the 4th person to grab him. The cops came and the cuffs went on.

#60 · (Edited)
Bank coin counting machine & true story...

I will share a true story with you.

My local TD Bank in Sebastian Florida had a coin counting machine. I had never used one before, but brought in a large jar of coins. I asked the Teller what I had to do to use the machine. She told me to dump in the coins, the machine would count them and issue a slip with the amount on it. I would then take the slip back to the Teller to be redeemed.

I took my coins to the machine and dumped them in. The machine took a while doing it's thing and after a while, the coins had all disappeared and slip came out in the amount of $77.43, which I took to the window. The Teller asked me how I wanted my money and I replied, "In quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies"

#62 ·
I will share a true story with you.

My local TD Bank in Sebastian Florida had a coin counting machine. I had never used one before, but brought in a large jar of coins. I asked the Teller what I had to do to use the machine. She told me to dump in the coins, the machine would count them and issue a slip with the amount on it. I would then take the slip back to the Teller to be redeemed.

I took my coins to the machine and dumped them in. The machine took a while doing it's thing and after a while, the coins had all disappeared and slip came out in the amount of $77.43, which I took to the window. The Teller asked me how I wanted my money and I replied, "In quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies"
That's funny.

#63 ·
This thread reminds me of a bad joke.

Guy prints up some counterfeit $18 bills, then realizes that nobody with any brains would fall for it. So he decides to go out "in the sticks" somewhere and pass 'em off on some ignorant old hillbillies. So off he goes, and eventually stops at a run down general store in the middle of nowhere. Walks in and asks the proprietor, "Do you have change for a $18 bill?". "Sure", came the reply, "do you want two nines or three sixes?".

#68 ·
Try taking cash to a local office of a Federal government agency, such as Social Security or the IRS, to pay a debt you owe to them. They have no provision for handling cash, and will only accept checks, money orders, credit cards or other forms of payment that can be promptly electronically transferred to the U.S. Treasury. Has anyone ever taken a Federal Agency to court over this, as far as any of you know?

#71 ·
Some of you have touched on this. Malls are dying all over the country, as well as other brick and mortar retail. They blame it on online shopping.

Online security is getting worse every day. Hackers are getting more creative and successful. You don't hear that much about it being stopped before it happens, or about anyone being caught. So I'd guess eventually the solution will be to take money off the internet. It will just be a big encyclopedia and catalog. Money would go back to phone and snail mail.

So what then? No actual stores, and no internet retail.

#73 ·
Some of you have touched on this. Malls are dying all over the country, as well as other brick and mortar retail. They blame it on online shopping.

Online security is getting worse every day. Hackers are getting more creative and successful. You don't hear that much about it being stopped before it happens, or about anyone being caught. So I'd guess eventually the solution will be to take money off the internet. It will just be a big encyclopedia and catalog. Money would go back to phone and snail mail.

So what then? No actual stores, and no internet retail.
The Equifax hack is a joke. The Big Boys knew of the hack and sold their stock before the public announcement was made. So, in their generosity they offer you free credit watching for a year. Most stolen identities aren't used that first year. Kind old Equifax after a year then tells you nothing has happened for the part year but you should now pay us for any future uses of your info.

One thing you can do is to freeze your credit. It's a PITA if you are younger and plan to buy a house or car later since the credit can be thawed at additional cost.

And it's only going to get worse. Companies don't want to spend a penny more than required on security and who can blame them.

#72 ·
Malls here in NJ are thriving. I have 5 major malls within a 10 mile radius. If I want to drive 30 miles, I have 8 major malls. The new American Dream Mall just opened. Owned by Triple 5, the same company that owns Mall of America. All the malls are doing major makeovers. Then aside from the malls we have 5th ave and Soho in NYC which are like large outdoor malls. I guess it depends on demographics and disposable income and the job market.

#78 ·
I can't wait until the day comes when our money handling becomes a chip embedded in the body. Money in and money out with the wave of a hand. And complete government control and monitoring or every single transaction period. Every bit controlled, taxed and recorded so the gooberment has complete power over everything you do, buy, say, where you are and have been, etc. :rolleyes: Goodbye to any freedoms left. :(

#81 ·
In one of those funny coincidences of timing....

Was doing some grocery shopping today when an announcement came over the PA informing a thunderstorm had taken out the connection to the internet and they were no longer able to process credit or debit card payments. They would accept googlepay, applepay and.... wait for it... cash. :)

Fortunately I had enough of the folding money to get everything I came for but it was a close call. :)

#83 ·
When I was in a vocational computer tech program I used to pay my tuition in cash. They changed the policy 4 months before I finished. I still paid in cash. The head honcho told the job placement person that I wasn't in good standing. She couldn't set up any interviews or even talk to me. I went to him, pulled out a dollar read "for all debt public and private" part. He argued that they changed the policy and I had to adhere. At the meeting, I had my contract in hand that stated payment in cash was accepted. He argued they would not accept cash any longer and I had to pay by check. I refused, told him I'd talk to the family attorney. Got a "go ahead" from him. Did one better. On my days off I used to deliver Bonzai trees for a bank they used for their student loans. The manager knew me and asked about how my schooling was going. Told him fine except for payment issue. He called their financial aid person at the school and told her how displeased he was. Reminded her that while he wasn't a lawyer, he was acquainted with me and would advise me to seek legal counsel. Guess who got to pay the rest of his tuition in cash after that? They were not pleased one bit but boy did I get some high-fives from my instructors. Even the placement lady gave me a hug for standing up to her boss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.