Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 Supersport questions

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  crackedcornish 
#1 ·
This question is for anyone who has helpful information. I asked a question over on the Ultimate 10/22 section of this forum, and it seems that there isn't much love for the factory 10/22 receiver. Is this a common view that the receiver needs to be replaced?

I have built a very accurate super-stock 10/22 on a factory receiver. Is there a serious gain in accuracy from using a Kidd or other receiver?

My thought was to buy a complete 10/22 and then start swapping out components (barrel, trigger, etc..). It seems like you can even pay to have a Kidd rear tang added to your factory receiver and stock.

I'm just looking for the most economical way to a MOA/sub-MOA rifle. I had one in my superstock, but sold it in a lapse in judgement. I figure I might want to try a Supersport this time around.

#2 ·
My first 10/22 was a factory Target model. It turned into ( Old Brown Shoe ), a SuperSport Heavy.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697289

My second 10/22 was a $ 199.00 carbine, bought to start a build. It is now my Superstock ( Lily Belle )
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829106

They both have Ruger recievers, and they both will shoot sub MOA.
They both had slight misalignment to start with. It is still present, but greatly reduced, and is not noticeable, and in no way affects accuracy.

Part of the crooked barrel problem that you read about is sloppy fit, and V blocks that aren't lined up, and tightened correctly.

Both of my guns have many targets posted in Superstock, and SuperSport Heavy games.
In my opinion if you want to build a sub MOA, SuperSport heavy, barrel choice means a lot more than a receiver.

#3 ·
IMO no. Unless you are chasing benchrest level accuracy there is no need for the aftermarket receiver. Plenty of sub MOA guns here on RFC were built with the factory receiver.

As far as an economical MOA gun you should be able to achieve this with an aftermarket barrel, a good trigger job and quality ammo. Toss in some DIY bedding/pressure pad placement/load development and you should be there in terms of accuracy.

#5 ·
one of my builds off a factory ruger receiver still holds the #4 spot on the ultimate 25y list. its been there for years. and that was done with a factory bolt as well. i put a kidd bolt in the rifle, but it didnt improve accuracy. all that the 10/22 receiver does is hold the bolt and barrel. if it functions itll be fine. if the headspace on the bolt is right, the barrel (and stock, in order to bed the barrel) is good, then worry about lot testing ammo. at least that is my opinion.

if there was something mechanically wrong, like the loose tolerance between the bolt and the receiver that could cause a problem, but even on guns with well over 10 cases of ammo through them that still shot well, i have not seen a problem. they are semi autos, not anschutz 54 or fortner actions. yet i have built enough of them that shoot 1/2 MOA or better to not think it matters a whole lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.