Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The Krugerrand Kimber or this rifle just was meant to be...

5K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  toad67 
#1 ·
I was fortunate to work part time in a gun-shop during High School. This taught me about wood, stock-lines, actions and custom metalwork to name but a few. Most importantly however was I learned to appreciate the provenance of fine guns. I'm in my later 70's now and over my 60 plus years of collecting, I have been very lucky in acquiring such histories. Often it has taken years and a "Columbo" type attitude but it always was fun and I learned so much else in the pursuit. I think you may like this story, which I call the "Krugerrand Kimber". In this case no sleuthing work was needed as info was handed to me on a platter. And this info came from different sources with almost one piece popping up right after another. Luck, coincidence or fate, well you can decide ...

About a year or so ago, I received a call from another of our Kimber RC family. He wondered if I knew anything about Ralph Bone of Texas as he had seen a Custom Match listed in a small auction house that reportedly had been in engraved by Bone. I told him I had known Ralph in his knife making days before he turned to guns and engraving, Further, that he was very talented and a quite good engraver however some of his very early work was, well, not so much so. We studied the pictures which were reasonably sharp and clear and came to some conclusions; it had good wood, the scroll cuts appeared nicely done, the gold-line work present looked good and the bolt handle had multi panel checkering. Additionally, there were gold small game animals but the photos just weren't adequate for an evaluation and if poorly done they are by far worse than none at all. Also, it was apparent that the rifle had been gloss blued and was without box, paperwork and unknown firing condition (unfired, shot a little or a lot?). As all of us do, we debated value, a plus here, a minus there and in the end our guess was that it was probably worth that of a typical Custom Match (This by the way is no outstanding feat on our parts as we're still unsure what a Custom Match is worth!).

Well, he bid it up to what seemed like a fair price only to have a new bidder come in at the end and snatch it up. I was sure that this would be the last I'd hear about it. However, a couple weeks later while talking with a friend in Wyoming who has no interest in Kimbers but who loves custom rifles, he told me based upon how much I loved Custom Match's, he'd bought one. Yes, the same rifle. What are the odds, one friend finds it only to be bought by another? But it gets "weirder" yet...

Less than two weeks later while I was on an engraving website, I came across an older thread in which someone had posted they were seeking info on Ralph Bone. I responded since I once in while see a rifle he made come up for sale and can always benefit from more knowledge. We exchanged past stories and were about done when I asked what prompted him to start the post. He said his father, now deceased, had used Ralph for some of his gun engraving. Further that he had sent some rifles to an auction house to sell. Well, I may not be the smartest guy around but even I could instantly guess something about one of those!

I found out that his father had dealt with Greg Warne on other Kimbers and had wanted a special Custom Match made up. His Dad liked dark wood so he asked Greg to hand select one with handsome figure, make up the CM unblued and ship to be Ralph for engraving, bolt handle checkering and gloss bluing (he probably thought that engraving might look better against a gloss finish). The son had sold his father two South African Krugerrands sometime earlier (one-ounce solid gold pieces). These were to be used on the gun, part of one for the goldwork on the rifle with the remainder paying off the bill (only my guess but I can't imagine more than a quarter of a coin was inlayed). The last piece of info was the rifle remained unfired. I was just plain thrilled with this info and immediately called Keith to tell him. He was appreciative however it was clear that such provenance didn't mean to him what it meant to me. Oh well, we're all different.

Another week passed and I received a follow-up email from the son. He had just remembered his Dad might have saved the original box and paperwork years earlier and since I had told him of Keith's purchase, wondered if he might want to buy it. Knowing Keith's reaction to the history I had provided him, I was concerned he wouldn't be willing to pay for such so I told him I would be interested. This was, of course dependent on condition as the location where stored was an outside unheated tool shed. Again, you've guessed it; the box, paperwork and test target were all there and in fine condition (I haven't seen many CM's with test targets by the way). I shipped him a hard case that holds an old Kimber box perfectly, $100 and a prepaid return shipping voucher and received the box back.

My original plan was to simply give these to Keith whenever I saw him so all pieces would be back together. Shortly after this, he told me that he would be passing thru near me on an upcoming trip. He further said that he would "swing by" so I could see the Kimber. When he removed it from a case I was in love. The wood was a lovely dark, rich color and as such so different from the more normal honey shade found on most Custom Match's. Additionally, the buttstock had burls present which is unusual for English walnut (Kimber called it French). The engraving was excellent but more importantly, the gold animals were superb and the 5 panel checkering on the bolt handle wonderfully done.

I secretly lusted over his gun...

Before I had a chance to surprise him with the box, he sheepishly told me his "economics" had changed and if I were interested the rifle, it could be mine for what he paid. Well, being the nice guy I am, I "reluctantly" agreed to help him out with his problem. And now rifle, box, paperwork and provenance resides with me.

We are only caretakers of our guns as they travel on their journey's but they are so much more than wood and steel and when we're lucky enough to have their history it just gives them so much more character. I hope you've enjoyed the story of the Krugerrand Kimber and will share some of yours...

My friend Vertfish has been kind enough to post photos for me so these should be up shortly,

Ed

See less See more
#11 ·
Hi all, I mostly lurk and learn.

That is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen!

I'm not into engraving or gold inlay but WOW. Thank you for the story

I only have one KoO, a 82 Custom Classic in my collection and I love it dearly. I sold my BSA motorcycle in 2013 and used part of the funds buy it. I can't believe how accurate it shoots for a sporter, it's used as my fair weather squirrel gun.

#12 ·
Nice story and beautiful rifle! I'm about the same age and enjoy hearing about experiences like this one. I spent many years going to gun shows, buying, selling, trading, and have many memories from that, the good and the not so good. Congratulations on your Kimber, it's a nice one.!

#21 ·
You know Art, I'm not sure I ever did mention the box to him, it's only my guess but it wouldn't be the sort of thing that he would value. But, your question makes me want to tell him just to "fess-up". I actually never told him about this post.

#27 ·
Eddies rifle

Just out of this world, it puts that 22,000 dollar one to shame, and you know something else, You deserve what you got, Really! You were the first one to help me out when I started the Kimber journey, I'm sure you've done the same for many of us. What Goes Around, Comes Around, It's, your turn, Thank you Ed for all your help ,Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.