Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Popular rifles for USBR Plinker class

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  aarondhgraham 
#1 ·
I have an opportunity to shoot a USBR competition. I have a couple sporter entries but would like to add a plinker class entry. For those unfamiliar with the rules winning means any participant can buy your rifle for $200 or you are disqualified. My inclination is to use a 597 heavy barrel combo. This rifle sells for 199 every black friday with a scope. And as you can remove the scope this means you could buy a new rifle with more accessories for 200. Can anyone say I'm barking up the wrong tree and suggest a better candidate?

#6 ·
Semi or Bolt?

If it's a bolt I would consider the Mossberg 802 Plinkster,,,
A friend bought one for each of his boys.

With $30.00 scopes from Wal Mart they are hitting 1" dots at 100 yards,,,
Not each and every shot mind you,,,
But 3-4 out of 5 on the average.

If it's semi-auto then consider the Mossberg 702 Plinkster,,,
Mine (with Tech Sights) has generated two Appleseed patches.

I've never heard of a match where the winner might be required to sell his rifle,,,
Much less for a fixed amount of $200.00.

But as I think about it a bit,,,
It would cut down on people trying to sneak an "Annie" in as a "Plinker".

Just my thoughts.

Aarond

#7 ·
That's the thought. That and the 9 power scope limitation keeps it from becoming an arms race. The reason I thought the 597 is it has a heavy barrel comes with a scope and is under $200. The trigger blows but somethings got to give. I have managed a score of 220 on a usbr target with a 597 heavy but I was using a 12x scope. Also on other things that could work nobody has mentioned a 10/22 which I through out as a non-contender. Crap trigger & skinny/poorly rifled barrel.

#8 ·
The plinkster has a skinny barrel so the trigger has to be butter the xt22 is skinny barrel but accuracy is muh. Look at it like this. Closest rifle to a match 22lr with a $200 off the shelf budget. If someone wants to buy my rifle I want them to get robbed for it!

#11 ·
How about a used pawn shop Marlin or Savage bolt action.
That was my original thought,,,
An older bolt-action single shot rifle.

I purchased a Western Field 815 (Mossberg 320) for $99.00 out the door,,,
I put a $39.95 Simmons scope on it and it's a tight grouping gun.

But the bad part would be if I were to luck into a win,,,
I would be disqualified from further matches.

No way in heck would I sell that rifle,,,
I like owning it too much.

Aarond

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.