Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Which bolt action 22 mag?

16K views 55 replies 45 participants last post by  Muzzlemonkey 
#1 ·
Looking at a Marlin 25MN, wood stock made in 1998 per Marlin, also a Savage 93F synthetic stock with accu trigger but not sure when made. Any advice on either good bad or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

#11 ·
I was very happy with my Marlin 783, very accurate. I love my Savage/Anschutz 141m, very accurate and looks great. With scope it weighs right at 5lbs and very easy to handl3 in the woods. If you buy the a marlin try to find an old one but my son's newer ones have been good shooters as well.

#12 ·
My experience with Marlin is that they have excellent barrels but the triggers need help to achieve a decent trigger pull. My experience with Savage is limited. Both Marlin and Savage seemed to have equal loyal followers for many years. For me, the introduction of the Ruger American Rimfire changed the ball game. The Ruger trigger is very good out of the box but is one of the easiest to improve on. Then the Ruger rotary magazine eliminates a magazine hanging out under the stock. All are good companies. Please let us know which way you go.:bthumb:

#13 ·
The only 22 mag I own is a 25MN and it would take a lot to ever talk me out of it. My most accurate rifle is a RAR 17hmr but the 25MN stays right with it. It has a great feel to it and loves the 30 gr Vmax. If you have an opportunity to pick one up at a decent price I wouldn't let the age hold you back....they are great shooters. I have a passion for the older wood guns though.....good luck with your decision.

#16 · (Edited)
I have a Ruger American and I think it is the best choice in this class. Not without the occasional QC slip, but; what can you do? Pay a lot more? Savage and anything Remlin is far more risky - IMHO as always.

The CZ455 is a step up, or should be. It is more gun for more money. unfortunately, mine did not shoot as well as my Ruger and I did an expensive aftermarket barrel replacement. It shoots fine now at 2x the initial cost. If you appreciate a nice walnut stock then I still feel this is worth considering. My 452 and 453 were both out standing shooters. The 452 & 455 were 22 mags.

The mechanics of both the Marlin and Savage bolt is worlds inferior to either the Ruger American or CZ455. I suggest the OP, remove the bolts and look at all four. These two go back to the old days when 22's were cheap kids guns. The Ruger and CZ are built to big boy design features. The fact Marlin is now under Remlin control is another cause for concern.

Both Ruger and CZ triggers start out ok and can easily be made better. No idea about the other two. I had a Marlin back before I got into things the way I am now. I did manage to break the Marlin.

The occasional Savage centerfire lemon will show up at the club. Fairly regular. Most do shoot excellent for the dollar. I am talking center fire now. No real rimfire experience.

Luck has to be a factor in any purchase. It maybe a vain, but; if it was me, I would consider my own taste or preference on the looks and feel or balance of the gun. The Ruger is easy to carry and hunt all day. The CZ is my idea of a looker. The other two, not for me.

#17 ·
I have a Ruger RAR for a utility rifle at the cabin...... size and weight and a 9round magazine is a nice touch in a .22magnum utility gun.

for a walk in Penn's Woods my CZ452FS/mannlicher has a lot more class and is a better shooter with best groups in the sub-.9 range at 100 ..... generally 1-1.25" at 100yds with a Leupold 1-4x20 scope ..... which is under the crosshairs.

#21 ·
Of the two you mentioned, buy the Marlin. Savage rifles are okay, but the magazines are cheesy at best. Around here, there are very few used Marlins to be found, those that have them, keep them, forever.
Personally, I like the Ruger American rifles better. I have a stainless RAR that is a sweet shooting little machine, and it handles like Harry Potter's wand. It makes the Marlins feel like swinging a fencepost.

#22 ·
CZs and Marlins in my experience have been 'berry berry good to me' :). The FS has been particularly accurate, but the Marlins (782 and Midget Magnum) are keeping up.

My Uncle loved his Mossberg Chuckster, you don't hear much about them any more. An old 'yesteryear' manufactured gun, they had a reputation for fine accuracy as well.

I've thought about a RAR (the youth model in particular - nice woodsroamer!) but I have plenty of .22 Magnums already. If I had none, the CZ 452 would be my 1st choice - I think. :)

#23 ·
my first .22mag was a CZ 452, gorgeous rifle. Worked the trigger down to 1 1/2 lbs and pillar bedded yet it never was more than mediocre. Wrote that off to .22mag ammo. Then I acquired an Izhmash biathlon in .22mag, day and night diff. Same day same ammo dime sized groups at 50 yards. Now I also have a Ruger American, not quite an equal to the Russian but a lot closer than the CZ. I've had 4 different scopes on the CZ to no avail, if only it would shoot as good as it looks ;-(

Rich

#24 ·
I had a Marlin 783 mag that was a good shooter. Once I lightened the trigger spring, it shot consistent sub 1.5" groups at 100, with the right ammo. Not bad for a $165 gun. I should have kept it but someone offered me $200 last summer and I didn't shoot it much.

#28 ·
I've picked up 2 Marlin 783 rifles at pawn shops over the past couple years.
Really like them both and they seem very accurate and quality built rifles.

the trigger is kind of stiff on at least one of them.
How diff is it to 'lighten the trigger spring?' Is it something a novice can do or do you have to have some gunsmithing knowledge

#26 ·
I own or have owned Remington, Marlin and CZ rifles in .22 mag. They are good rifles but none could compare to my 141M and 164M Anshutz rifles.
I would suggest spending the extra $$$$ and getting an Anschutz that you will take pride in and never feel the need to upgrade.
If you really want to go top shelf, see if you can find a 1720. Mine is definitely the finest in my collection.
My two cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.