Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Italian Weatherby

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  foxfirejem 
#1 ·
So my wife and I were on a trip to get craft supplies and I used this as an excuse to hit small gun shops. Found an Italian Weatherby for less than $400. Wood is pretty but no rosewood/accents. Metal wasn't bad but lacked the deep polished blue of later models. The worst I could say is that the magazine was freckled with rust.

Opinions on if this is a good buy? Seems like most of the ones for sale on auctions sites are Japanese.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Weatherby XXII were first made in Italy by Beretta, then in Japan by Howa, then in US by Mossberg and then back to Japan. The rarest are the Mossberg variants. The ones with the most issues were the Berettas. I think all the fancy stocks were made for Weatherby here in the USA. There were two types, a tube loader and a magazine loader. $400 sounds like a good deal.

#10 ·
I did, yesterday.

So the serial # is in the high 6000's, and the date code on the barrel is XX which is 1964, according to Beretta codes I have. Looks to be the first year of manufacture. I've spent 5 hours cleaning it today and it was pretty grungy. Had to scrape the bolt face with dental tools and vacuum the debris that came out. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will. I intend to take it out this week to see how it does, so maybe the pictures will wait until then.

#9 ·
I bought one in San Diego California when they first came out, Beretta made, mine had the rosewood forearm tip and a very nice walnut stock. It was a great shooter, in the coming years I bought a second one down in Natchez Mississippi and a third one a few years ago, that was Mossbergs doings, it was my only disappointment, accuracy sucked.

#12 ·
I have a Weatherby SN 10XXX. Like all have said it is a great shooter. The scope that mine came with came apart and I am trying to find rings to mount an Athlon Neos scope. The Talley's that I use on my CZ457 don't seem to work on the Weatherby. Would someone educate me on what I should be looking for?

#13 ·
So my wife and I were on a trip to get craft supplies and I used this as an excuse to hit small gun shops. Found an Italian Weatherby for less than $400. Wood is pretty but no rosewood/accents. Metal wasn't bad but lacked the deep polished blue of later models. The worst I could say is that the magazine was freckled with rust.

Opinions on if this is a good buy? Seems like most of the ones for sale on auctions sites are Japanese.
Thanks!
Buy it! the mags alone are bringing around $100.

Wish I had found mine for less than 4 hundred.

#15 ·
Glad you picked it up! Mine is similar to yours but different enough to be interesting. Mine is one of the first 500 built - SN 14XX. Both Weatherby and P. Beretta are engraved in my receiver, and my trigger guard is polished bright aluminum. But the stock is the same light walnut with no forend cap. I paid way more than 400 for mine several years ago!

#16 ·
You'll enjoy the rifle. Some of The earlier italian jobs were definitely less fancy wood wise and didn't have the rosewood features and cushioned butt pad. The later models were all dolled up to mimic the Mark V larger caliber rifles as a selling point IIRC. As long as somebody wasn't using it as a shovel you're gonna be very surprised how well it can shoot. Weatherby spent the money to spec out cold hammer forged barrels. My Nikko built 1973 (scoped) shoots dime sized daisy holes at 40 to 50 yds all day with decent 22LR. (shoots surprisingly well with junk ammo too actually). I love mine, its a real bunny blaster around the back yard. Take'r out and sling some lead......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.