Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Which hm2

4K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Omega-Man 
#1 ·
So Im dying to get a hm2 and wanted one before squirrel season. 600.00 would be to much for me as that seams to be the going price for all the discontinued ones. Was patiently waiting for a yr now for the ruger american but Im starting to think that will never happen. Whats the best economical way to get in and still have a good gun? Don't hear much about the savage mark II and have assumed its cheap for a reason. Seams like there is a lot of problems with the a17 and was also woundering problem aside is it a better build than the mark II or getting simi auto is the only upgrade? Saw a used marlin, forget the model. That one looks nice but they were asking 350.00 which I think was more than they were new. Was tempted though. Id like to be under 400.00 out the door if its possible for something reliable and accurate. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I'm kind of partial to my Marlin 917m2. Yes they are have been discontinued for some time, but if you can find one used, it may be a good one to pick up.
I'm not familiar with the Ruger American Rimfire. Can you change barrels on them like the 10/22? Will 10/22 barrels fit on an American? If so that may be worth looking at.
Good luck in your search.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The 917 is what I saw used for 330.00 I think. Heavy barrel. Cheap scope. Said it was almost 7 # which is really heavy unless that includes scope weight. I really worry about getting extra magazines for it. My local dealer says he can get the a17 for 329.00 plus tax. The simi auto sounds great but I worry about reliability. Whitakers was supposed to get the ruger american in a one time production and they have been saying that for over a year and they still don't have a date. I have a ruger american predator hmr that shoots well but took work to get it there. It most defiantly wasn't free floated which made some difference.

#5 ·
Mach II

Hi , I have been eyeballing a Marlin 917M2S 17 mach II locally that has an extra clip for $275.00 It has a checkered stock and looks nice in the pictures. (Stainless)
It is the heavy barrelled one and if it shoots as good as the ones I have owned, it will out shoot most of the others.
Also, I am not aware of the A17 being available in the MachII. Of course, there may be some new stuff out.
I have contacted the owner and will find out more about it.
If you are interested, and I don't get it from him, I will let you know.
I have had 3 Mach II's, over the years, and don't know if I need to try another one!

Ken

#7 ·
Hi , I have been eyeballing a Marlin 917M2S 17 mach II locally that has an extra clip for $275.00 It has a checkered stock and looks nice in the pictures. (Stainless)
It is the heavy barrelled one and if it shoots as good as the ones I have owned, it will out shoot most of the others.
Also, I am not aware of the A17 being available in the MachII. Of course, there may be some new stuff out.
I have contacted the owner and will find out more about it.
If you are interested, and I don't get it from him, I will let you know.
I have had 3 Mach II's, over the years, and don't know if I need to try another one!

Ken
$275 is a great price for a Marlin 917M2S.

My bad weather squirrel rifle is a 917M2S that shoots groups that are nearly as good as those shot with my Anschutz 1502.

Despite owning 4 Savage Mark IIs in 17HM2, I like the Marlin 917M2 and 917M2S better than the Savages. The only thing that I don't care for on the 917M2 and 917M2S is that the magazine protrudes well below the bottom of the stock and keep it from carrying as well as rifle with flush or close to flush magazines.

#8 ·
SquirrelDown, I didn't know that about the A17 in MachII. I have a nephew that has the A17 in HMR and he has troubles with it at times, but it could be just him!
917M2Sfan, I guess with that name, you would be the guy who knows:)
I will possibly be able to buy that one I posted about if he still has it . I am also a Marlin fan and I am definitely a MachII fan.
I will let you guys know if it is till available etc.

Ke

#10 ·
Here’s my two cents .
Get you a CZ 455 in whatever caliber you’d want to play around with when it’s nots hunting season . Or sell whatever Barrel comes with it .
Then buy a Whistlepig Mach2 Barrel .
From the beginning my 455\ Whistlepig combo out shot my Savage . And it’s getting better every time I shoot it .
The heavy barreled Savage had close to 1000 rounds through it when I let it go for 1/3 of what I paid for it . I’m still holding a Boyds Pro Target stock that I plan on selling eventually .
And the aluminum shrouded Whistlepig barrels are light . Makes a great carry around rifle .
I was shooting average less than one inch groups yesterday when I had mine at the range . Sighted in at 50 , I was picking off shotgun shell hulls at over 100 yards . I just would put my crosshairs on top of whatever I wanted to hit .

#13 ·
Here's my two cents .
Get you a CZ 455 in whatever caliber you'd want to play around with when it's nots hunting season . Or sell whatever Barrel comes with it .
Then buy a Whistlepig Mach2 Barrel .
From the beginning my 455\ Whistlepig combo out shot my Savage . And it's getting better every time I shoot it .
The heavy barreled Savage had close to 1000 rounds through it when I let it go for 1/3 of what I paid for it . I'm still holding a Boyds Pro Target stock that I plan on selling eventually .
And the aluminum shrouded Whistlepig barrels are light . Makes a great carry around rifle .
I was shooting average less than one inch groups yesterday when I had mine at the range . Sighted in at 50 , I was picking off shotgun shell hulls at over 100 yards . I just would put my crosshairs on top of whatever I wanted to hit .
What Kirby999 said. Or have a barrel made for the Ruger Precision Rimfire 22lr model. Probably run you 3-400 for the custom barrel to be made and fitted.

#15 ·
Just wanted to give an update on my order of a Whistlepig Mach 2 Barrel that I ordered yesterday.
Today I got tracking information emailed to me . Of course it’ll be tomorrow before it’ll actually be with the USPS , but that is fast service and shipping.
I’ll make my own thread when I receive and set it up for its first range trip .

#16 ·
I agree the easiest route would be a 455 or 457 with aftermarket barrel but there are a lot of used rifles out there people don't appreciate and many barrels t.o. I have a 96/22 barrel I picked up on clearance from Green Mountain I use to convert a 10/22 but right now I have it set aside as I prefer the 77/17 vbz. There are many 77/22 barrels out there that green mountain has made if you can pick up a 77/22 cheaply enough to be worth the conversion. My 77/17 is a fantastic Mach 2. I would not be afraid of a used Marlin. If I had to I'd even pick up a cheap savage to get into mach 2. You have many options, just not an easy to buy new rifle. It would be nice if Ruger would jump back in with limited runs of the American line. I think there is enough demand they could sell batches of 300 or 500 pretty quickly. rc

#17 ·
when i first got into the hm2 i kind of went on a buying frenzy and picked up 4 of them.......marln 917 stainless bull barrel, cz452, savage mk2 and magnum research 1017.

savage was horrible, shot all over the place and i didnt feel like trying to diagnose it so i let it go. The cz was a beautiful gun, but my marlin outshot it and i only gave $180 for the marlin vs $550 for the cz, so it went.

Now i have the marlin for bad weather (it is a little heavy) and the 1017 is my goto rifle.....i dont punch paper just squirrels

#18 ·
TY for all the replies. Te ruger american just went on sale at Whittakers and since that was the one I was waiting on I jumped on it. Might get another hm2 in the future but there is only 109 left unless more are coming and I ended up being fairly satisfied with my identical hmr after some work.

#24 ·
I bought a couple new Savage Mark IIs brand new for a little over $500 at a local gun shop. One is the 'target barrel'(heavy barrel) and one is the sporting barrel. I am happy with them although I haven't shot them much. Perhaps I don't expect much out of them. They do come without any sights so one has to add that to the cost to shoot them. Having recently moved from CA to OK, part of the 'fun' was being able to buy two rifles and walk out of the shop in the same day!

#25 ·
Picked up a brand new (no box) Marlin 917M2 with no magazine a few weeks ago. Have no idea how it came to have no box or mag, but at $227.00 did not complain, just paid the lady at the pawn shop. Mounted a Hawke 3-9x40 with the Mach2 reticle on top...….it is a shooter.

Keep watching, they come along......:bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.