Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Any room at the SuperStock Inn?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  bobcatr 
#1 · (Edited)
Good morning gentlemen and ladies,

What's the ante to get in the game?

A recovering bolt and lever guy, I started playing with an old 10/22 to get ready to shoot an Appleseed this year. The few upgrades I did to my first 10/22 made it a much more enjoyable gun to work with and infected me with the bug to acquire another. This past weekend I spotted one that caught my eye and went for it. I posted this pic initially in the Factory Stock forum but as I have now decided to upgrade some of the internals, I thought I might check in here.

Yesterday, the mailman delivered a number of goodies and I got them installed last evening. I don't plan to get crazy with this rifle as it it mostly for plinking, squirrel hunting and friendly target shooting games with friends and family. However, I would like it to shoot as well as it can within reason.

Looking at a number of the threads in the SS forum and going back to read about the genesis of the whole SS concept has been helpful already. Looks like a fun gang to engage with.

The scope is a Luepold VX-1 3 - 9 x 40 for now. I may pull a Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5 - 14 x 40 off one of my bolt guns and try that out for 50 and 100 yard activities.

So with that in mind, as a start, I have made the following changes to my rifle:

Installed the KIDD trigger upgrade kit
Installed the KIDD auto bolt release
Installed the KIDD SS magazine latch plunger
Installed the KIDD Bolt Buffer
Installed the KIDD Bolt handle and guide rod/spring

I used KIDD components in my first 10/22 upgrade and have been satisfied so that's where I started on this one.

In between rain showers and thunderstorms today, I plan to fire a few boxes of ammo to begin the adventure. Today's ammo will be CCI SV because that's what I have plenty of and it has shown itself to shoot fairly well so far in this rifle. I also have a few boxes of RWS Target Rifle to try.

I will begin with no bedding then experiment with some of the tips Vincent has posted and also try different torque settings on the take-down screw to see how that affects how the rifle shoots. Should be fun and educational.

Shooting the rifle as it came out of the box and then with my other upgraded trigger group has shown me it has good potential, at least to satisfy my needs. I'm far from an expert marksman but I usually bring home a squirrel or two for the pot.

It's also not too hard on the eyes.

I look forward to trying out some of the SS games and thank folks in advance for your help along the way. If I understand the SS guidelines, this rifle would be within the guidelines. Please let me know if that is not correct.

Regards, John

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like a great SuperStock in the making. Yes we have have plenty of room for you and your rifle.

I am going to be entering a friend's rifle something like yours but with a fluted stainless barrel from Green Mountain.

I really like your rifle!:D:bthumb:

Welcome to SuperStock!!​

#5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes.

I got things set up out back to do some shooting but as expected the sky opened up and for the moment, it's a bit unpleasant out there at 45 degrees and with liquid sky falling.

I'm not sure what an 'LVT" is. The barrel is a std tapered sporter style barrel.

Now to wait for a break in the rains.

Hope everyone has a safe and productive day out there.

John

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the compliments on the rifle guys.

I got a brief 30 minutes between rain this afternoon and managed to put a box of CCI SV through the rifle before things got wet again. I'm fortunate to have a place to shoot right at the house so I didn't have to go far.

Here's today's view out into the field.

While I was waiting to get out, I looked over a number of the threads in SS and decided to start the days shooting with the mods I listed above with one change. I went ahead and added some temporary bedding strips made of rubber under the the area where the take-down bolt is and another strip about 3" long starting about at the back of where the forearm checkering begins. The material I used is made to place in the bottom of tool drawers and has some anti-rust compounds in it. It is about 1/8" thick but fairly soft and it compresses down to a firm 1/32" or thereabouts. I didn't have an old bicycle tire to cut up.

No aluminum tape was harmed yet!

I torqued the take-down bolt to 20 in - lbs.

Here's the rest and rear bag setup.

I set up at 25 yards and gave it a go.

I knew I didn't have long before the next rain so I set up two smaller targets at 40 yards. 50 yards is on the other side of the creek and I didn't feel like slogging over there today. 40 yards is about at the edge of the water closest to the shooting position. I just wanted to see how any groups held up with some additional distance. I shot two groups of 5 and 4 sizers at 40 yards and then the rain came on again.

I was rushing these last two to try and beat the rain but you get the idea.

For some reason I can't get these picks to rotate today but I'll fix that when I can.

And one more of the left side of the rifle. Not a much figure but still nice.

Anyway, so far so good. I didn't bother to measure these today as I was just trying to get a sense of things. Comparing today's groups to those I shot when it was all stock there is a noticeable improvement.

I am looking forward to some more time with this rifle. I'm not ready to get in the SS games but I'm hoping to do so before the summer is out.

Thanks for looking in.

John

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks Vincent. One thing I saw in one of your earlier posts was how these light sporters need to be held fairly firmly. I can say that is my experience so far with this one. It doesn't take much to send a shot outside an otherwise nice group. I need to work on developing the correct and consistent hold with this rifle.

ADDED: I forgot to mention that the rifle shoots best when placed on the front rest about where the take down screw is. I played around with a number of rest positions yesterday and that one seems to give the best groups.

Frankly, I'm pretty amazed that this thing shoots like it does. Although I have had a 10/22 for many years, I never spent a lot of time with it because the stock trigger was so poor an I had other rifles that were much more accurate to shoot including my Marlin Model 39AS lever gun.

Thanks for the tips so far. I'll be out of the game for a few weeks here starting next week as I go visit my aging dad down in Florida but I will be looking forward to more time with the rifle when I get home.

John

#10 · (Edited)
You are welcome for the tips as that is what we do in SuperStock. We help each other.

Your older rifle would probably not shoot this well without some chamber work. For years Ruger has made great barrels but screwed them up with loose chambers thinking we were not interested in fine accuracy. Lately they seem to have corrected this. Still not a tight chamber but "tighter" chambers.

It is nice to know they listen to what we ask for:bthumb:

#15 ·
Welcome :Welcome: :wave: :yippee: to the good ship SuperStock, FairWinds! You have a very nice rifle there, seems to have a lot of potential. These scurvy bilge rats know all the tricks of the trade, you've come to the right place :) RH P.S. BEWARE THE PIRATES!! :gun4: :crossbone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.