Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Me in action.....

97K views 314 replies 161 participants last post by  Daddyusmaximus 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought you might like to see a photo of me taken in 1968 , feet wet south of Da Nang.

See less See more
#36 · (Edited)
Not only was I in Da Nang, but in Phu Bai, Dong Ha and Hue. Not actually operated inside the places named but on the out skirts.
Of course I did visit.

I was in the 3rd Recon Div., H&S Co. , I was a field radio operator, 2531 MOS.

Based mainly at Regimental headquarters but our company was located right below Gen. Westmoreland"s bunker.

#39 · (Edited)
My brother, on the left, and the neibor kid to the right..
He grew up two houses away..
They are geting ready, for a ride into the Happy Valley..
Over the next 5 day's, there outfit would win a Unit Citation..
I allway's looked at this pic as,"Two Michigan Boy's Going Hunting.."

The short guy is 6'1..:D
http://www.homestead.com/233part1/BattleofFoxtrotRidge.html
The tall guy passed away last spring, without kidney's and a liver..
And that to me, is a National Shame..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange
Jed.

#44 ·
Joined the LANG, 156 Inf in 1948 while I was in high school. When I was a Sr, the Korean War broke out and I was a Squad Leader in a Machine Gun Squad.
Took an Honorable Discharge from LANG, joined Army, 11th Airborne Division and served 3 years as a Paratrooper. Did not make it to Korea and did most of my time in Artillery and later working in Military Training Schools of various sorts.

As a footnote, got GED in Army, finished high school, went to college on the GI Bill, graduated, did graduate work at two different Universities and retired at the ripe old age of 56. Taught at Jr College part time a few years and have not worked since.

Will be 75 in a few months and am going strong. Like to shoot BR 22 RF and occasionally pistols.

Will look for some period pictures, black and white in those days.

Richard

#48 · (Edited)
the BUFF has got to be my all time favorite aircraft.............. what a cool job to have .........

Thanks JJB.........It has proven to be one versatile aircraft!! I was at Fairchild AFB when we changed over from B-36's to the B-52's back in 1957.

However, my favorite of all time has to be the SR-71!! Kelly Johnson sure knew how to design and build aircraft!!

#54 · (Edited)
I too would like to thank everybody for your service in the military.

I have a few picture I will share.
This picture is my father in Korea in 1954 on the DMZ. Age 28

My nephew is in Iraq now he is a 1st.LT in the Mn N.G. Red Bull's
he is doing convoy duty. (IED Hunter)
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/bret111/IMG_0849.jpg
Here is what his armored humVee looked like last fall when things
didn't go so well.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/bret111/IMG_3337.jpg
He is OK his knee got brused a little when they hit the dash.
God willing I will see him in June.

Midwest Swiss

#56 ·
just a quick reminder for all the vets out there...

if you were in prior to '92, you are at a very elevated risk of having hepatitis C... seems we were right about not trustin those blood drenched airguns we got shots with in basic....

also, some of the gammaglobulin shots were contaminated with the virus also

there is also quite a bit of speculation that some of the overseas shots we got were contaminated also...

the VA itself admits that 1/2 of the vietnam era vets using the VA hospitals are infected...

get tested!
cletus

ps: you can get free testing by donating blood at the red cross

#57 ·
A buddy of mine's dad was killed in Vietnam, he was a Mohawk pilot. I had never heard of the aircraft before I met him. They have a picture of his dad someone just happened to snap of him as he was preflighting his ship before his last flight. I read the western union his mom got, it read that he was missing in action on a military mission over North Vietnam & then about a week later they got another that read, "We're sorry to inform you that your husband Capt. Jerry White was killed on a military mission over North Vietnam"

I've always thought the way they worded those messages was sort of cold; maybe it was because he was on intelligence gathering missions that they were worded the way they were. I don't know; but she said there was no warning, no clergy, just a messenger boy who said, "have a nice day" when he left.

#67 ·
Ill take a brief moment away from all the nice pictures to say:

THANK YOU ALL for serving our country, weather by choice or not (some vietnam soldiers), I know I am thankfull for all of you fighting for the USA.

I wanted to go into the Airforce and be a pilot when I was almost done with highshcool, but due to being born with a heart murmer the recruiter told me I wouldnt pass the medical check (even though the heart murmer has never held me back from any physical activity). I still have 20/10 vision as well :)

ok, back to the pictures! :)

#68 ·
This is a great read, and an outstanding way to pay tribute to those who have served. Well done, all of you! A buddy of mine just finished reading a book about four Navy Seals who were overpowered in Afghanistan, but they went down taking out far more than our enemy ever imagined I am sure. Thank-you just isn't enough for the risks, the time spent away from family, and the ultimate sacrifice that so many of our finest have made for this country but Thank-you and Happy New Year. God bless the United States of America!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.