Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Browning Buck Mark Rail

13K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  bluewave 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a Buck Mark and need to have a rail on it for a red dot. I see that a few Buck Marks come with an integral rail but many do not.
Does anyone know if there is an easy way to mount a rail on one of those that doesn't have one?

Thanks

#2 ·
browning

sells a rail, around 35.00, but you have to remove the rear sight to mount the rail. i had one on my frst BM, worked great with a red dot sight. there are some other rails out there that have a rear sight. just a lot MORE expensive to buy. just be sure when you remove the screws you get them put back in the correct place, one is LONG one is SHORT. if you put them in the wrong place the pistol will NOT operate. i dont remember which is which, just PAY ATTENTION when you take them out. you wil love the BM, i have 2 and both are pure fun to shoot!!:D:gun4:

#3 ·
sells a rail, around 35.00, but you have to remove the rear sight to mount the rail. i had one on my frst BM, worked great with a red dot sight. there are some other rails out there that have a rear sight. just a lot MORE expensive to buy. just be sure when you remove the screws you get them put back in the correct place, one is LONG one is SHORT. if you put them in the wrong place the pistol will NOT operate. i dont remember which is which, just PAY ATTENTION when you take them out. you wil love the BM, i have 2 and both are pure fun to shoot!!:D:gun4:
Thanks for the quick response, I just found some rails on google, should have looked there first.
Could you re-post or pm me with the name or link to the rail your mentioned, it didn't make it into your message.

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
#8 ·
The Hunter was going to be my suggestion before I noted you didn't wish a factory installed rail. I've owned one for 5 years. Mine happens to carry a x4 Leupold scope. For my application I love the set up.

I suspect you found out that the cost of putting a rail on one of the lessor BuckMarks drove cost into the same spot as simply picking up a Hunter.

fwiw, the grips on the Hunter are lovely and hold up to constant use quite nicely.

Good luck.

David :)

#19 · (Edited)
I modified the rail slot for the Burris FF III red dot sight mounting screw.
When I needed to mount the UltraDot MatchDot II on the Hunter (which has a Weaver rail, rather than a Picatinny rail), I modified the screws to fit the rail, rather than modifying the rail to fit the screws. I put each screw into a drill press and used a file to cut down the threads in the middle, where it goes onto the rail. You have to leave the threads on the end of the screw alone, so you can tighten the rings to the rail, of course. To put the screw into the drill chuck, put two (or more) nuts on the screw over the threads you don't want to file down, tighten the nuts against each other, and put the nuts into the drill chuck. That way the drill chuck doesn't mar the threads, and your file can't slip and wreck the threads you're trying to keep. Worked great for me. Only took a few minutes to do, and has held up great over 3 years of heavy usage.

Of course MOST Buckmarks are coming with Picatinny rails now, so this is a non-issue for those models.

Link to Hunter with MatchDot, cause the IMG tag doesn't seem to be working.

Dave

#20 ·
Hunter

The Hunter is my favorite Buck Mark. I bought one last year and it is the best shooting, and had the best trigger right out of the box of any I own! I don't plan on adding any mods to my Hunter. Normally I would at least change out the trigger but the Hunter shot so good I decided to leave if all original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.