View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Chamber Brush Technique

Proper use of the Gunner Finger Loop Chamber brush

I probably should have taken the time to document and photograph this earlier... this thread seems to be an ever-evolving entity. So, I decided to keep updating it and adding to it as member input and new materials and techniques come to mind or are developed interacting with all of you.

So, hereís this little pearl-
Thereís a trick to using my finger loop chamber brush that involves a specific way of holding the gun being cleaned in such a way as to position your thumb to serve as a backstop to the shaft of the chamber brush which provides leverage to facilitate reversing direction. First, youíll want to place the gun on a padded workbench with the ejection port facing up, the barrel pointing to your left and the trigger guard/grip opposite you/facing away.

Next, open and lock the bolt back for semi autos. For bolt actions, itís easier and provides more room if you simply remove the bolt.

BEFORE YOU START THE CHAMBER SCRUBBING PROCESS, CLEAN THE MAJORITY OF THE SCHMUTZ OUT OF THE BARREL USING SEVERAL WET PATCHES AND THE JAGSNAKE FOLLOWED BY A SERIES OF WET/DRY CYCLES USING A LOOSE (.205Ē) AND TIGHT (.210) BUTTON PULLER.

You basically want to get the barrel as clean as you can using the softer, less abrasive components of my cleaning system before scrubbing the chamber- the same goes for brush cleaning the entire bore with my brush pullers. This system is designed to provide an atraumatic cleaning process to minimize the wear and tear on the rifling. Precleaning serves to significantly reduce the amount of carbon and silicates present before the brush is ever used, thus cutting down on the abrasive action created while cleaning your guns. IMO, This concept is a common sense adaptation that is easily universally applied to cleaning all firearms.

The first thing youíll want to do is find a comfortable grip with your LEFT hand which places the tip of your left thumb over the front portion of the ejection port. The mechanics of the technique Iím outlining here is the same for all pistols, 10-22 rifles and bolt guns.
Youíll want your chamber brush pre-bent to allow you to scrub the entire chamber including the leade, without getting too far into the rifling. Your main goal is the carbon ring that forms at the end of the cartridge casing. Bend your brush to allow insertion of enough bristles to clean the length of a casing plus about 1/4-3/8Ē. Some guns are inherently designed with a breech face and chamber opening that is recessed deeper than the front end of the ejection port. In these cases, it is often necessary to use a 45 degree angle in the bend of the brush. In guns that have a breech that is even with the chamber opening, a 90 degree bend in an Otis pistol brush provides the perfect depth to suit our purpose without getting too deep into the runout and rifling grooves.

Your grip should look like this:

Scrubbing from here is simple and easy. Apply a liberal amount of the cleaner/lubricant of your choice to the brush. I will usually start with my standard mix of 1:3 Kroil: Hoppes #9. Place your ring finger through the finger loop on the chamber handle and grip the shaft of the handle firmly. Insert the brush into the chamber opening fully and push to full depth, then using your left thumb as a backstop immediately reverse direction. Repeat as necessary, applying additional solvent frequently. Then pull one wet patch on a Jagsnake, followed by 2-3 wet patches on a loose (.205Ē) button. Follow with dry patches. Repeat chamber scrub if necessary. Finish with tight (.210) button puller. If Iím storing for any length of time, Iíll pull a wet patch with the jag puller to lay down a coat of lube and protect against rust.

Last edited by DrGunner; 02-24-2018 at 03:41 AM.