Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1/4" Club

23K views 62 replies 16 participants last post by  Clem-E 
#1 ·
Below is the original quote from Sawdust when he started the Grandfather of all games in RFC and more specifically SuperStock. He was tired of hearing "My rifle will shoot 1/8th inch groups all day long" This was his way of saying "Put Up or Shut Up":

In order to become a member of the SuperStock 25 Yard Quarter Inch Club you must post a picture of a single target showing four five shot groups with three of the four groups measuring 1/4" or less center to center. Four additional individual shots are required for measurement purposes.

The single holes are to be measured to the same accuracy as the groups, hopefully to .001". These four shots are to be averaged and that is the number to be subtracted from the max group width to determine the Center to Center group size. ( This is the standard for calculating center to center group size).

There are some rules.

1. Targets are to be shot at 25 yards.

2. Gun - any gun that is a SuperStock- no classes.

3. Ammo - shoot any ammo that you and your gun like.

4. Sights - anything you like.

5. Rests - shoot any position or rest that you want to.

6. Post a picture of your groups, all on one sheet, showing the groups, four extra shots for calculations and the calculated group sizes.

7. PLEASE measure and calculate the groups per the above so we all stay on the same page.

8. Posting - just post your pics to this thread.

Hope thats not too many rules.

So what do you get for shooting quarter inch groups at 25 yards? Strictly bragging rights.You can claim to be able to shoot quarter inch, or less, center to center groups three out of four times at 25 yards and have it documented.

The target pictures are fun to see and a picture and description of the gun and ammo are a great way to share information and let others see what it takes to shoot tight groups.

When the targets are posted to this thread I will add your handle to the members list.

As I am not at all bashful I will kick things off with some results from the second outing with my SuperStock.

There are some great guns being built here and the Members list should grow quickly.

Good luck.

sawdust
Well we were just starting out and shooting a SuperStock is harder than a SuperSport because of weight so a rule change or two is in order:

Still four groups of 5 shots each but in SuperSport you have to shoot 4 out of 4 to make it.

Other than that why mess with perfection?

Good luck and I hope we see many names on this list:bthumb:

See less See more
#39 ·
Here is a link to my gun. It's not a build, it's just a factory Target, that I'm trying to squeeze everything out of that I can.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697289

Getting 3 groups under .250, isn't bad. But that fourth group can be tough .
I shot 2 today, They were so close, but no cigar.
On the third one I let up on the takedown screw, a little bit, and finally got a qualifier.

Shot with SK Rifle Match
Sizer-.216, .311/.095, .400/.184, .336/.120, .366/.150

#42 ·
New entry

It's been 2 months since there has been a post in SuperSport Heavy. So I may as well post this here.
I shot this today with Lily Belle, a 19" GM HT, that measures .760 at the muzzle.
Here is a build thread. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829106

.173-.126-.182-.125-- 4 group average-.151 ---5 shot groups.
Shot with SK Rifle Match.

On to the next game.:bthumb:

#44 ·
Hummmm...:coco:

Anyone heard from 86c ?
doesn't look like hes been around for a while :confused:

Oh and not to change the subject :eek:

:wave:
pipestone

#46 · (Edited)
So, I picked up a 10/22 T barrel a while back. Used, who knows how old. turns out, the box stock barrel shoots pretty good. coupled with a factory headspaced bolt that que did for me years ago. i had a revolution stock laying around, and a bunch of kidd parts in a factory trigger group. never expected it to shoot like this. 25y. SK magazine. the numbers on the top right, and bottom left i messed up. i was measuring a couple of targets at the same time and I think i transposed some numbers. or my dyslexia acting up.

correct measurements:

top left: .142", top right: .160" middle: .117" bottom left: .179"

#49 ·
thanks fellas. the price was right. so i gave it a shot. i was kind of surprised it shot this well, i figured worst case scenario i would have had cpc turn it into a heavy taper. i think i am just going to leave it alone though. when i got it home and slugged it my first thought was 'oh, this one might shoot..." :D

#51 ·
hmm..I just bought one of these barrels (used) a few weeks ago, also with the intention of sending it to Randy for a taper job...but now I guess I'm going to have to mount it and test it out first :bthumb:
the one i bought is one of the best factory ruger barrels i have ever shot. shoots better than the last 2 kidd barrels i bought new. i guess it goes to show that you never know. :bthumb:

#61 ·
Its possible. I only put around 100 rounds through it today. I didnt really shoot it much without the sparrow on it, except for the first magazine to get it on paper. But it seemed to group about the same without a can for those first groups. This does confirm my suspicions that a kidd barrel can shoot really well with threading (even wtih fluting). my chromoly feddersen is also fluted and threaded (not back bored), it doesnt shoot this well, but it shoots with my 20 SS Kidd bull that has no threading/fluting. This one seems to be pretty close in terms of accuracy (at least with this price point of ammo at this short distance) to my 16.5" kidd bull that is #4 on the ultimate 25y list. So all in all I am pretty excited. :bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.