Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

.22 WMR Federal 50 gr ammo

11K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  JTJ 
#1 ·
Anyone tried this ammo? I found a box in the bottom of my big box of .22 WMR ammo and tried it out today along with a couple of others. It seemed to group maybe a little better than two different brands of 30 gr and 40 gr (which both grouped together amazingly) but it (Federal 50 gr) grouped about 4-5 inches higher than the lighter loads at 50, 75 and 100 yds. Seemed very strange to me. Might have to get another gun just for this ammo. Anyone have a similar experience with it? I'm shooting a CZ 452 Lux by the way.

#6 · (Edited)
Agree fully. My Savage shoots the 50 gr. very well. However, the POI of the Fed 50 gr. Gameshok is about 2" lower than W-W 40 JHP or Fiocchi 40 gr. at 100 and almost 3" lower than 30 gr. Hornady. I have never experienced slower rim fire rounds shooting higher than faster ones in all my years. I'm sitting here with one of my .22 mag 100 yard test targets as I type.

#15 ·
My "LR" was a typo, but the WMR will be in the barrel even less time than the LR, so the heavier bullet will shoot lower still. Now this is all assuming your heavier bullet is truely shooting at a lower velocity than the lighter bullet. Of course a heavier bullet shooting at a higher velocity than the lighter bullet will hit higher from a rifle barrel.

#19 ·
I havent shot 22 mag in a long time and picked up a Marlin 25. I have been disappointed with the accuracy and the 40 grain loads. I can keep all the Maxi Mag 40's inside a 2" dot at 100 yards and it appears that is the norm. Part of it might be the trigger. I cleaned it up and have to try it again. It is smoother now but not great. I am looking to try the 50 grain and have a box on the way. Do the Marlins do better with any specific weight?

#20 ·
Generally the heavier the round the slower the velocity. I believe it has to due with the chamber pressures remaining constant. So, the lighter bullets loaded with the same charge will go faster and print higher.
With my H&R this is true BUT the 50's are more accurate which is my primary goal as my shooting is done within 100 yards.
The Federal 50 MV is 1530
If I zero at 100 yards the high point is at 70 yards and is 1.6 inches and 10 mph drift is 4.9 inches with the energy is 160 pounds
with 40 grains the MV is 1880 and the high point is 62 yards at 1 inch and 100 yards drift is ~ 5.25 inches and energy is 167
With 30 grains the MV is 2200 and the MV is 2200 with a high point .78 inches and drift in 10 mph is ~6 inches, energy is 140 pounds at 100
As I see it the drift is more concern as it is more variable in the field as elevation can be corrected foe more easily by hold off
Sources: Federal Ballistic info, handloads.com ballistic calculator.
My inputs = elevation 3200 feet temp 55 F, wind drift 10 mph, scope height 1.5
inches.
my 100 yd groups with 50 grain ~1.5 in
40 ~2in
30 ~2.5 in
I will stay with the smaller group and less drift as larger groups affect all shooting and compounds range estimation difficulties and wind.
I find it easier to correct for elevation rather than wind

Just some of MY thoughts. Try the handloads.com site

#22 ·
.22 WMA Federal 50 gr ammo

The 50gr bullet has more kinetic energy at longer distances than the lighter bullets.
I load the 50gr in my Win 9422, Mag for coyotes, and at 125yrs, it surpasses the
lighter bullets by a good margin; however, the drop is more at that distance. The 125 yds is pushing the 22Mag, but will work.
I have had great accuracy with the Rem supreme, lighter (green tip) bullets at 100, but loses the energy quickly. For larger body weight, use the 50gr bullets. The faster lighter bullets excell at shorter distances.

#23 ·
I tried out the 50 grain Feds in my Marlin 25 today and they did pretty well Close to an inch at 100 yards. Definitely shot lower than the 40 grain but accurate. There is not much recoil but you can feel a difference. I will have to stock some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.