Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Time to Checker A Stock that I made this Spring

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  wachtelhund 
#1 · (Edited)
Earlier this year I made a walnut stock for my Ruger American Rimfire. See post https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163363. I posted it in the Ruger area when I should have posted it here.

Winter time in northern WI is the best time for stock checkering. This is the fourth stock that I have checkered over the last ten years, so I'm not perfect when it comes to checkering.

Here is my progress on the stock and pictures. Not quite done, still have one panel, lest that is what I call them. First I made my patterns and taped them to the stock. Then used an X-actor knife to cut along the edge of the plastic patterns. As I traced the pattern to the stock, I added more tape to kept them in place. As i cut the patterns into the wood, I turned the knife blade over to widen the outline. Stock is in a cradle that I made, facing with one finished panel and one panel to an outline only to you. I'm using 20 LPI checkering.

The panel with outline only.

The other side with two completed panels.

It has taken me about four weeks to complete the three panels. I know I'm slow. I work about two hours at a time and two may be three times a day. Still have to seal the checkered panels.

See less See more
#6 ·
Checkering is finished

Checkering is finished. Now just need to build up a sheen again. After finishing the checkering I had a number of small scratches in the finish from hold several cutters in my hand. So I lightly sanded the whole stock with finish and 1000 grit paper. Now just need a number of rubbings with my mix of bees wax, turpentine and BLO.

#8 ·
Nicely done. :bthumb: I tried my hand at touching up some poor factory checkering
and found out I have neither the talent nor the patience for it. :eek:

If I might offer a bit of advice; when taking pix with a camera on auto mode
use a like shade of background in brighter light otherwise the camera is using the darker background
for its auto settings which makes the subject appear darker than desired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.