Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Best manual sporting clay thrower............

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 ·
My Ruger Red Label is on it's way back from Ruger for a firing issue. Anyway I need a new thrower to go test with.
TIA, Ron

#3 ·
We have the one step also. In theory it sounds good, but in reality it throws you off balance when stepping on it to throw the rock. We ended up spending more and got a battery operated one. Costs a lot more, but is great to use. Load a stack of rocks and just press the foot/hand switch. You can add a rotator or wobble at any time.

#4 ·
I have a Do all trap Double thrower the has a 3/4 cock and is their professional series...That can throw almost any type of clay...rabbits...etc. I was about $170 IIRC but it works really good has a seat and a 2" square tube for a reciever hitch...two differt arms which you can send 4 clay birds at the same time or one 2 seconds behind the other. Here is a picture of it behind my daughter...sorry that is the best picture I have right now. Have better ones at home.

Signalman :mad::):D

#13 ·
I have a Do all trap Double thrower the has a 3/4 cock and is their professional series...That can throw almost any type of clay...rabbits...etc. I was about $170 IIRC but it works really good has a seat and a 2" square tube for a reciever hitch...two differt arms which you can send 4 clay birds at the same time or one 2 seconds behind the other. Here is a picture of it behind my daughter...sorry that is the best picture I have right now. Have better ones at home.

Signalman :mad::):D
I also have a similar device and they work very well than manual sporting clay throwers. Easy assembly and good equipment design. The most important thing is that it can throw the clay consistently, even beyond the promised 50-60 yards.

Whether it is BIRCHWOOD or Allen Company, this type of manual thrower is not very friendly, the clay pigeons are tightly bound, and it is difficult to release. You need practice to be able to use them well.

#5 ·
I also have the Do All 3/4 cock thrower with the seat, and it works great. It reduces the cocking force by quite a bit, and the seat is a real plus for the person throwing the birds. It has a lot of flexibility for the angle and height of the birds. The only thing easier would be one that is battery powered.

#7 · (Edited)
I ended up buying a DoAll and have spent the last two days modifying it. I'm going to mount it on my trailer deck bolted down on a new stand I built. Plus I changed out the hardware for all thumd screws so no tools are required. I drilled both pivot shafts for a grease zerks and installed a bicycle tube over the spring and adjuster. I will receive my base plate material today and will drill it for multiple patterns so it can be adjusted for aiming and it will still bolt tire a wheel. It should be good and solid/quiet sine it's all welded together(no bolts/frame pieces).

#10 ·
I bought one about years back that was the least expensive (cheap) and mounted on a wheel and tire from a ton pickup. One idiot (me) cocking and loading then standing, load gun, pull cord and shoot. Do that 25 x's or more and you get a work out. I could handle 3 sets of that a day.

More better was the seated witha partner to trade off with. Eventually we found having a young and dumb along did wonders for our relaxation, until they grew old enough to realize.....

Reality of having a fully automatic self feeder at a range is the best, shame you get old before discovering the joy of that.

#17 ·
This is what I consider a manual thrower. We had to back off our vehicles when one of the kids hit my bud's truck behind us while his son was learning how to snap his wrist while winging em @ a gravel pit in the middle of nowhere. Good exercise for an arm while doing a good job of imitating a ruffed grouse's speedy takeoff. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.