Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 Carbine scopes

6K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  FredJ_2008 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a wood stock 10/22 carbine with an older Redfield Lo-Pro 2-7 scope on it. While I really like the few vintage Redfields I have, they are lacking when compared to my Leupold Freedom and Burris FF E1. Id like to get something a little more in line with those. Id love to have one of the Redfield Revolution 2-7 or 3-9 but theyre all gone and I just saw where Leupold sold the Redfield name to Academy Sports. The new ones are exclusive to Academy and sadly theyre made in China. It was a good run for Redfield but its come to a sad end. What are some others scopes I should be looking at in say the 100-200 dollar range. I really like the gloss finish on my older Redfields that look great with the bluing on my 1022s but matte will be fine.

*Edit*
Can go higher than 100-200 if the glass and features match the price. Just don't want to go crazy for a factory standard carbine.

#2 ·
A nice 3-9x scope (coincidentally done in a nice gloss finish) is the Clearidge Ultra RM. Clear and bright. Can focus down for use at 50ft. Adjustable AO. Duplex reticle. Right around $200 depending where you find one. Bought mine direct from Clearidge Optics. Another choice is the Vortex Crossfire line. Nice scopes. Lifetime warranty.
Also clear and bright. Several power options available. $200 or less many places. But, I don't believe they come in a gloss finish. Good luck with your search.

#3 ·
Not many gloss scope options this day n age. I remember having a custom rifle built, in the 90's, and wanting a gloss scope to match the finish. The only thing I could find was a nikon monarch in gloss. Fast forward to today... I havent layed eyes on a new gloss scope in two decades.
However, a really nice used scope can be found on ebay. The old 4-12x40 leupold would be a good hunting scope, whether the old m8 or vxII.

#4 ·
I have a wood stock 10/22 carbine with an older Redfield Lo-Pro 2-7 scope on it. While I really like the few vintage Redfields I have, they are lacking when compared to my Leupold Freedom and Burris FF E1. Id like to get something a little more in line with those. Id love to have one of the Redfield Revolution 2-7 or 3-9 but theyre all gone and I just saw where Leupold sold the Redfield name to Academy Sports. The new ones are exclusive to Academy and sadly theyre made in China. It was a good run for Redfield but its come to a sad end. What are some others scopes I should be looking at in say the 100-200 dollar range. I really like the gloss finish on my older Redfields that look great with the bluing on my 1022s but matte will be fine.
Here are two in your price range, I have the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x 40mm AO and am happy with it. I have it mounted on a Remington 582.
The second scope is a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x 40mm rimfire scope without AO. It's above your price range, but it is a quality scope I can recommend.
Hopefully others will chime in with more choices

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optic...-12x+40mm+ao&qid=1637027083&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-VX-F...mfire+MOA+Reticle+Matte&qid=1637027288&sr=8-1

#5 ·
Thanks y'all. I've been looking into the Clearidge scopes after being referred to them here. As far as budget goes, I can go higher if the glass and features match the price. I just threw 100-200 out there as a good point so we aren't looking at 1500 dollar Swarovskis. Are all those entry level Vortex scopes made in China? I have some old Japanese Tascos and Baush & Lomb Bushnell's and like them for what they are but I really hate to go to Chinese optics. I'm sure there's some good ones Id just rather it be a last resort if there's some other options.

#6 · (Edited)
how far are you gonna shoot it and what kind of shooting?
i put a burris rt-6 (1-6x lpvo) on my 10/22 tdl, so it can be a both eyes open fun action shooter, or dial up if needed for more precise shots.
maybe not as powerful as many would want, but i am just shooting for fun and not very far. fixed parallax is also a drawback.

#8 · (Edited)
The problem is that most of the lower price scopes, even the lower power versions, are made in China. As mentioned above, your best choice for a smaller, excellent quality 3-9X scope, and MADE in JAPAN, is the Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32 AO at $220. (And Clearidge is an RFC sponsor.) The icing on the cake is the choice of a Gloss finish. The downside (temporary, one can hope) is that the Silver version is the only one currently available. They do show up in the RFC Trading Post occasionally as well.

Doug

EDIT: It occurs to me that there may be another good choice (though not in Gloss) and that would be the Bushnell 3.5-10x36 AO Scope (Fine Duplex). I believe that most of this model are made in Korea (mine is). And they may be more readily available.

#11 ·
Most of my scopes have been dropped or mfr. out of business for decades now.....
Funny thing is the scopes are still working; guess the self destruct device failed:rolleyes:

#18 ·
I've got both Leopold and Vortex. IMO Leopold glass is slightly better but comes at the higher price.

Leopold is made in the US. Vortex is made in several countries to include China.

Both have lifetime warranty. So depends on what you want. For one scope, i have a Vortex with lighted reticle and first focal plane FFP. A similar Leopold would be significantly more expensive. After shooting on a Vortex for an hour or so and then switching to Leopold, i can immediately see the improvement in the glass.

If you've never shot with a FFP, i highly suggest it! problem is more companies make their FFPs only on their more expensive scopes thinking it's a serious shooter that wants and is putting on a serious rifle. so get that FFP whenever able - totally worth it!

#20 ·
I standardized on the previous generation of Leupold rimfire and centerfire scopes. Now I just keep an eye peeled for them on gunbroker. How the scope looks on the rifle, and how the aesthetic makes us feel is just as important as performance in my book. I personally can’t tell much difference in optical clarity between scopes within the same price range. I love the FX-I 4x28mm for its small size, excellent eye relief, and fine reticle. The VX-I 2-7x28mm is a close second for me. Mine are all matte, but I think they were available in gloss as well.

Absolutely love those old glossy Redfields too, although I only owned one, years ago, on a little Mini-14 ranch rifle. I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up another for older projects.

#24 ·
I standardized on the previous generation of Leupold rimfire and centerfire scopes. Now I just keep an eye peeled for them on gunbroker. How the scope looks on the rifle, and how the aesthetic makes us feel is just as important as performance in my book. I personally can't tell much difference in optical clarity between scopes within the same price range. I love the FX-I 4x28mm for its small size, excellent eye relief, and fine reticle. The VX-I 2-7x28mm is a close second for me. Mine are all matte, but I think they were available in gloss as well.

Absolutely love those old glossy Redfields too, although I only owned one, years ago, on a little Mini-14 ranch rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another for older projects.
I just bought a pre '74 Leupold M8 4x. I have plans for it on my 1973 Winchester 9422M. It hasn't arrived yet but I'm hopeful.

#27 · (Edited)
Anyone tried the Sightron SI Rimfire 3-9x 32 ?

I have a Bushnell 1.5-4.5 x 32 on my 10/22, i reset the parallax to 40 yds , works for me . I hunt squirrels with it made a 60 yd shot the other day ,squirrel on the ground heavy quartering away to the left aimed at the neck left side hit just into the left front leg pit .

#29 ·
Some of the pics show a gloss finish, others a matte finish. The color is simply stated as "Black" -- which of course applies to both Gloss and Matte finishes. Given the rarity of new Gloss scopes these days, especially from Leupold, I'd bet you would receive a Matte finish scope if you were to order that one from Optics Planet.

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.