Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

513T Dating Question

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  schutzen-jager 
#1 ·
I purchased this rifle recently. It is dated EL which corresponds to being October 42 or October 64. Is there any way to distinguish between the two dates ? It is has US Property stamped on it with a small circular emblem stamped on the stock. Any thoughts ?

#3 ·
which receiver ring is the U.S. stamped on ? - does it have a property number next to U.S. stamp if on rear most receiver ring ? - is it a ramp non hooded front sight attached with two screws ? - is the barrel stamped [ military finish ] by model number ? - is the stock comb fluted ? -

#11 ·
OP is the bolt body &/or the trigger color case hardened? I know John's book says that Remington started to only color case harden the back of the bolt in 1942. Kind of a long shot but if the entire bolt is color case hardened then it was definitely made earlier. The trigger being color case hardened would be a good indicator too. Going from memory here but I believe they stopped case hardening the triggers in 1948. I know on my 1946 513T the back half of the bolt and the trigger are case hardened. If yours was made in 1942 then I would think it would be the same.

#12 ·
none of my original 42 . 43 , + 44 original [ non rebuilt ] 513's are case hardened - I think that they were only on commercial models + very early GI contract ones put together utilizing commercial parts in stock - most all DCM + CMP ones are loaded with replacement parts - I have seen many pre war 5teens with casehardened bolts + triggers -

#14 ·
I had a very clean, low mileage late version some years back that had a grooved receiver, that was why I bought it; easy to scope. Sticks in my sometimes flaky memory as one from the last couple of years production?

#16 ·
Thanks for everybody's insight. My 513 -T is a non-hooded ramp sight with two screws. US Property is stamped on the barrel and again on the receiver ring. The military Finish is not on it. It also has comb fluted stock. It does have a low serial number, 34XXX. I know this does not mean much. The butt plate has a pretty thick gauge piece of steel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.