Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

H001 front sight

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BCRider 
#1 ·
I just bought the H001 and it has a plastic front sight. What can I replace it with that is steel?

#4 ·
Call Henry. When I heard they'd upgraded to metal front sights and barrel bands, I phoned them to see if I could purchase those to retrofit to my son's older H001Y that came with plastic ones. The nice lady I spoke to at Henry sent me a set for free!

Might have to wait 'til the lockdown is over, though.

#6 ·
...Is it any narrower or more precise than the older plastic one...
It is a bit narrower but hardly more precise. Spend a little bit extra and send your sight off to have a dovetail milled in it, then put a gold bead sight blade on it. I did, now I basically have the sights from a Marlin 336 on my H001M and the difference is amazing. I wish Henry would do that from the factory.

Mac

#7 ·
Regarding the new metal front sights...

Is it any narrower or more precise than the older plastic one?

Anyone have any pics?

Thanks.
Precise is what you're used to and how you use the sights. Perhaps I'm too used to using big blocky pistol sights but I find that my H001 with the blocky plastic sight is just fine. The rifle makes me look good when the chips are down in terms of shooting with "plain iron (plastic) sights. And I can't ask for more than that.

I would have asked for a set of metal front sight and band long ago if I were in the US but such things are not easily sent over the border to Canada. But that doesn't stop me from finding that my Henry with plastic sight is just fine in the precision department.

What I've done to help make this happen is that I set the sights up so that they work like pistol sights. Namely that the bullet goes where the middle of the top line of the front sight is sitting. Half a bullet hole above the line and half below. Splitting the front sight width is something that comes fairly naturally to me what with all my wood working and similar hobbies. It's sort of like the whole peep sight thing of circles in circles and the mind tends to auto-center the circles. In this case I find that seeing the middle of the wide front blade is like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.