RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Precision Plinker Stock
View Single Post
  #18  
Old 09-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Gobber
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2011
Location: 
Herndon, VA
Posts: 
185
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After some sanding, the action bedding is shaping up.
Had that problem of the safety being hard to engage when the action was tightened down and it turned out to be the side wall of the bedding area was in contact with the bolt blocking bar.
After relieving that area, it works like a charm.


A bit of flat sanding to even things up.


Prior to mounting the grip, needed to bed the trigger guard and mount the threaded sockets into the stock body.
Here is a shot of the threaded socket made from grinding down a long connector and then cutting vertical grooves to give better mechanical lock.
The little dab of modeling clay helps gauge the depth that the socket is set while creating a void for a screw to poke through.



This is where another ‘two step forward, one step’ back situation popped up.
I placed the threaded sockets too far forward toward where the trigger guard releases from.
This did not leave enough room for the forward screw to fit inside the grip.
Only became evident when figuring out the positioning of the grip.


Oh well, that is why extra parts are purchased.
So I got to do a destructive test of how well the threaded sockets hold up.
Figured I could lock down a 5mm screw and twist the threaded socket out with enough force.
After clamping vice grips onto the threads of the screw and twisting really hard, all it did was grind off the threads on the shaft of the screw.
The socket did not budge at all. In adding more torque, I could tell the shaft of the screw would snap off well before the socket would break loose. Good to know!
In drilling out the socket’s center with increasingly larger drill bits, it generated enough heat to begin smoking.
The combination of friction heat and a drill bit that was the diameter of the threaded socket finally pulled the last fragment of the socket out. Only took a few minutes, but I am very satisfied with the bonding strength of Marine Tex.


After cutting socket holes further back, I ground down another set of threaded sockets and reset them into place with a mixture of Marine Tex and CF chop.
I added the CF to help reinforce the larger voids left by the previous holes.
The mixture looked like a nasty hair clog pulled from the bathroom drain, but it set up really solid.


I also used the same epoxy hair-ball mixture to bed the threaded socket and rear section of the trigger guard.
Bit of pain to jam it down into the cracks, but it will give a solid, yet non-abrasive, finish for the glass filled nylon of the trigger guard.


After cleaning up the excess, might need to ‘skim coat’ a bit over the surface to give it a smooth finish.
Reply With Quote