RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Precision Plinker Stock
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 06:43 AM
Gobber
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HJ-
You hit the nail on the head about that rewarding feeling of popping out a bedded action. I always sweat the load waiting for the compound to cure worrying about something getting stuck with a mechanical lock. This one came out really well, almost too well in fact as I can actually see the wrinkles of release agent that puddled a bit before drying. Getting nit-picky, but always striving for the best outcome. A little sanding and shaping will square it away.

Your point of ‘hard where it needs to be’ is well taken and one of the advantages of fabricating the stock in sections. Wherever it needs to be reinforced, just add a few more layers of CF fabric or fill with a CF chop & resin mix. That is one that I will be trying soon on a cam locking fitting. It’s something that I’ve been working on, but it’s only in the concept stage right now.

As for a platform for a bipod, I have gone with a biathlon style slot rail before and it works very well for mounting bipod, hand stop or sling stud under the forearm section. Also nice because it is recessed and leaves a smooth surface for the support hand to slide. On this build I want to be able to use quick disconnects to mount a bipod and/or light on the fly. That lends itself to a section of picatinny rail under the hexagonal forearm tube. But either one could be.

I see where you are going with the ‘other applications’ of Marine Tex in fabricating various attachments. It could be used to make items like a forearm hand stop or a magazine well hand grip, but it is a dense material that is good as a compression medium for holding a receiver against the stock body. For making external attachments, it is a bit heavy and a large chunk of it could crack on impact.

Got something that is way better coming up- lost foam carbon fiber forming is what I like to form the grip. It’s a really cool way to make attachments that are form fitted to most any shape, light weight and as rigid as you want depending on how many layers of CF that are added. For the removable grip, there is an even better method for fine tuning the fit that gives a really good finish when the CF layers are applied. Post #12 describes the first half of the process of forming the plug for the grip. The same process can be used to make most any form desired that will have a CF (or fiberglass, Kevlar, etc) shell applied. How’s that for a teaser