Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Help with a 17-2 mystery cylinder line

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  minic99 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking at a shooter grade 17-2 sitting in a LGS. The bolt drag line on the cylinder has an additional line that starts right before each bolt cutout on the cylinder and intersects the cylinder line at about a 30 degree angle like an upside down 1/4 inch long "V". This additional line appears on each of the cylinder bolt stop cutouts and is symmetrical. Any ideas what would have caused this? Sorry, but I don't have a picture to share at this point, but it looks a little like this: /l with the "l" representing the normal cylinder line.

#4 ·
I will have to see and determine if it has already been repaired before its arrival at the store now that I know to watch for the bolt engagement. The $500 price tag caught my attention but I don't really need a new project. It's at one of those tactical stores so it's the black sheep of the display case and the owner is trying to move it.

#5 ·
Doesn't sound like something that could happen by just poor timing during normal operation of the action. Maybe someone scratched it when jacking with the bolt notches for who knows what reason, or the scratches were made when someone removed the cylinder from the crane and placed it in the frame multiple times for, again, who knows what reason.

The main thing is to carefully observe how the bolt drops away and where it pops up on the cylinder when operating the action normally. If it looks good, I wouldn't worry about it, other than they are just unattractive mystery scratches.

If you don't like scratches, buy a new or like-new used one that doesn't have scratches. Sounds like a good price, though, so, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate. Unlike Camster, I actually prefer non-pristine examples...the mint guns make me nervous :D.

TBR

#6 ·
I know a lot of people resent this but the "BOLT" has nothing to do with timing, cylinder locking etc. for those who like their S&W's it would help to have a parts blow up. I remember when I was in the business having customer calls asking for approx pricing or replacement of a part only to find when the gun arrived it was completely different.

Really need photos of this marred cylinder then we can work on an answer

Regards

#7 ·
I don't disagree with you, technically, but your post creates even more confusion when you insist a bolt has nothing to do with timing. Yes, S&W calls the ejector rod detent and "bolt," but, whether the manufacturer calls the part in question a cylinder stop (S&W), cylinder latch (Ruger), or cylinder bolt (Colt), we knew exactly what the OP was asking, as did you, and we were responding to his question in a way he would understand best. Certainly, when ordering parts, the precise terminology is best (part numbers are even better), but in gunsmithing school, almost everyone called it a bolt, probably because Samuel Colt set the standard for revolvers. I tend to be a semantics Nazi myself, but, in this case, we all understood.

I still don't see how normally operating a completely assembled revolver could create an angled line on a cylinder.

TBR

#8 ·
Great to hear from a gunsmith school grad or student. We have that in common and I'm a firm believer in the trades and training over Utube and buying parts and tools to wing it. I'm short on time right now but would like to respond later and if you're a revolver guy I'm sure we can add some meat to this thread

Regards

Regards

#10 ·
Took some pic's of the 17 today:[/ATTACH]
I watched the cylinder stop cycle as I held the cylinder latch open and slowly worked the trigger and hammer. The stop actually starts towards the front of the frame cut out and moves to the rear as the hammer is cocked-this probably explains the additional abeiviated cylinder lines. I could not observe this with the cylinder closed since the lighting in the store is poor. The stop looks polished with no burs. Since the main cylinder line is more pronounced, could this be an old issue that was corrected by polishing the stop if it had a burr on it? Im not familiar with S&W's so I am not sure if this is a deal breaker.

Attachments

#12 ·
Wonder if you could put some ‘magic-marker’ on the lines and cycle it through a bit to see if it is now tracking in the ‘main line’?, ie, was addressed at some point past.

#13 ·
Educated spitballing here since without my hands on it I'm blind. That scratch or groove mark is obviously associated with the cylinder lock and there are indications of the lock striking the notch strong side edge. Look and you will see a shiney notch edge but photos are really crappy and you can only see one chamber notch but ?

Wobbly cylinder meaning a badly damaged yoke would reveal in gap irregularity, leading and cylinder face marring from timing lock-up which is possible since once again no knowledgeable hands on the gun to range rod and test. But my guess and that is all it is, is somebody has been into this gun via Utube and stoned or messed up the cylinder stop and/ or trigger. Either way stay away from this piece.

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.