Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

52 D & E Database

106K views 667 replies 169 participants last post by  Dave S 
#1 ·
52d & E Database

Thought I would start a new thread on this subject. As of now I have over 350 D numbers and right at 200 E numbers.
Steve

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ethically, I cannot publish the database. I and George have made it clear from the onset that the serial numbers will not be published. This was done to alleviate any fear of the owners that they would see their gun number in the public domain. As I just finished answering this question to another individual, I can see publishing certain aspects of the database, such as "highest and lowest group of CMP rifles", or there were X number of Internationals made between s/n so and so, etc.
I would be happy to answer any questions on the database that I can answer w/o divulging serial numbers. As everyone who has read my posts know, I have not mentioned any full serial numbers in my posts unless they are mine or are already in the public domain, such as a gun on Gunbroker.
The reason for the database to begin with was somewhat different. George and I both started to collect serial numbers unbeknownst to each other. I was primarily interested in the E numbers just to get to the bottom of how many and of what configuration were actually out there. George was as I remember trying to determine some info on the D's. I know he was interested in knowing where and how many of the original production was contracted to the government. I recall sending him all the factory production records I had on the 52's. We figured we might as pool our efforts and so I just turned over all my records to him and he would up date me periodically with his findings and a revised copy of the data base. We would then discuss the findings and any patterns that we could discern from the info. Consequently the info was pretty slow in coming and to this day I have just a fraction of total production on record. It is encouraging to see certain patterns develop though. The standard weight barrel info mentioned earlier is one. This is the type of info I would like to get out to the public.
Steve

See less See more
#457 ·
Thanks for the 2 numbers. The first one I already had and was given to me by previous owner. The second one is a bit baffling. Are you sure it is a standard weight barrel? I have never seen a standard weight barrel with U.S. markings.
I have no idea where that 750 quantity of D production rifles came from. Lot's of sources like to throw it around. I have over 1750 D s/n's in my database alone. I think the true production number is closer to 17,000. D s/n's started about 1052XX and stopped around 122,6XX.
Please verify barrel on 112306D.
Thanks,
Steve

#459 · (Edited)
Seewin, The barrel on the US marked 52 is the same standard .750 as the other. The US on the action is marked with a electric pencil. There are no markings on the bolt. The stock is, as in earlier post a D stock, with rear swivel and rail on forearm. Both have C type triggers.The barrel could possibly have been replaced with a commercial barrel.

#460 ·
Thanks for the info. I would concur with your comment about barrel being replaced on this rifle. I know of no other U.S. marked D's with standard weight barrels. Winchester actually had a separate model which was sold to the U.S. Government. I have a Winchester 1964 dated recap list of the D model parts which relates them to the appropriate model. The HB version was the only one listed as being Government sales.
I would speculate that it could have been a commercial rifle sold through commercial sources to a Government entity, but the rear swivel was typically a Government contract only addition.
Thanks again for info.
Steve

#462 ·
Thanks for the info. I would concur with your comment about barrel being replaced on this rifle. I know of no other U.S. marked D's with standard weight barrels. Winchester actually had a separate model which was sold to the U.S. Government. I have a Winchester 1964 dated recap list of the D model parts which relates them to the appropriate model. The HB version was the only one listed as being Government sales.
I would speculate that it could have been a commercial rifle sold through commercial sources to a Government entity, but the rear swivel was typically a Government contract only addition.
Thanks again for info.
Steve
Steve,

So what was different about the models sold to the government?

AJ

#463 ·
My second D arrived today, 113784D. It's not marked "U.S.", and has the s/n electro penciled on the bolt. The barrel contour is the same as my U.S. marked D and it's in a custom stock. In the loading/ejector port, where the opening is milled into the receiver there is a "1" stamped in it, if you held the gun with the muzzle up the 1 would be in the bottom of the right side of the port. This rifle also had the D/E trigger in it.

#464 ·
Thanks for the number. Your rifle is a bit unusual in that it is not U.S. marked. The rifles on each side of your number are U.S. marked, and it is right in the middle of about 10 U.S. marked rifles.
The #1 on loading port is just an inspection stamp, and that particular number was used on several D's in that s/n range. Ports were stamped from early production right up until the end of D production, using a variety of different letters/numbers and combinations of both. I have only seen 2 E's with port stamp, and both of those were specials done in the custom shop.
Steve

#468 ·
I purchased my 52D at auction last night. Serial number is 105289 D. Condition is overall excellent although the trigger is sluggish and likely requires cleaning. I suspect it sat for years unused and the trigger lube has gummed up a bit.

It has the standard weight barrel and came with a 15X Davis Optical Co. Spot Shot scope. Davis took over the Lischert scope company.

#470 · (Edited)
doubs43, thanks for posting the info on your new acquisition. That is a very early D. It is 20 guns from the earliest D I have on record. For some reason, a large percentage of these early D's were standard weight rifles like yours. Just an FYI, this rifle was sold back in June through Rock Island Auctions also. I'm sure all the trigger will need is a good cleaning. Your trigger should be the earlier style used on the C models.
Steve

#483 ·
I recently acquired 109847D at the Rock Island Auction, it has bolt # 109818D. Posted elsewhere would love to swap for the matching bolt!

US marked, CMP sold to Lima Sabres Shooting Association in 2003.

Heavy barrel, muzzle in the white, Redfield International rear sight only, no handstop just a swivel.

Kurt

#487 ·
New 52D Acquisition

When it rains it pours, in addition to the US marked 52D mentioned in my previous post I just acquired a 52D Navy Award Rifle. S/N 106579D. Heavy barrel, marksman stock, looks like it has been parkerized at some point, muzzle end is parked. It is not US marked but has Navy Award Rifle Provenance.

And the bolt DOES match!

These are addicting.

#488 ·
Thanks for posting info. Sound's like an interesting rifle. What type of provenance does it have? I have seen several Government contract rifles that were Parkerized. Apparently they were done at a Government arsenal during a refinish procedure. You are lucky that the bolt matches.
Steve