RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Notes on old Browning pistols from Belgium
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Mark2506
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This gets explained to many times, but here goes again. Fabrique Nationale (FN) the manufacture of the Belgium made pistols in question and Browning Arms Company (BAC) the distributor in North America having their on name as a barrel address: As to FN the standard Medalist which has a 6 3/4" barrel and the Medalist with a 5 7/8" barrel were both called a Medalist and FN used the barrel length for terminology in the USA. These had a serial designation of "T". BAC cataloged the 6 3/4" as a Medalist and the 5 7/8" as a Medalist International. The only production years for an International with BCA markings that I have found is 1970, 1971 & 1974. These did not come in a box, they came in a Browning deluxe fleece lined pouch measuring 15 X 7 and having a brass zipper. The muzzle protector changed from a red elastic to a fleece around 1971 so depending on shipping an earlier one would have a red protector and the latter a fleece, both shown below along with an early International with a forearm which is rather rare:

Early 1970 factory tapped for forearm , but no dove tail cut for counterweight support.

[/URL]

1971 (left hand) with red muzzle protector fleece lined pouch.

[/URL]

1974 with fleece protector in fleece lined pouch.

[/URL]

A Medalist with 6 3/4" barrel cased with screw driver tool, counterweights, counterweight support and bullet block. (Shown in the Renaissance model)

[/URL]

All production of these two types of Medalist ended by 1976, having a few parts guns assembled.

In 1975 FN manufactured a .22 L. R. Automatic with a 5 15/16" slab type barrel, matte finish with palm rest grip termed by manual as an "International" using a serial designation of "I 75". It appears these were primarily made for the 1976 Olympics held in Canada with the leftover in production being sold in Canada and some in the USA. This type was only cataloged by BAC in 1980, but was listed in the wholesale price list from 1977-1980. This was also called an "International" by BCA and FN as BCA did not sale this one and the earlier "T" at the same time. It was boxed as shown below.

[/URL]

Note: All pistols were supplied with a manual and some of the primary designated models to be sold by FN, but having some sold by BAC i. e. the "I 75" would come with both the FN and the BAC manuals. (Not all manuals shown in these pictures)

The later "International" which came in a plastic box and looked like the "I 75" series described above was made in France by "MAB", which was owned by FN. These had the alpha-numeric serial number with the two alphabetical letters designating the year of manufacture and were called the "International II". These were never sold by BAC. Note: By 1977 BAC was bought and controlled by FN, so FN had other distributors in the USA for there products. Hence, there is always confusion when one calls the "I 75" series an International II as it may be the second generation to BAC, but only the first generation to FN. (These are actually two different type pistols) My explanations are for describing the pistols sold in the USA as there are other designations used for these type FN made pistols sold in other countries. My little expertise is dealing with Belgiun made BAC pistols so the picture of the French made International will be found in other postings in these threads. I hope this explains the pistols without to much confusion. Mark